Video ref: it's all or nothing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
If we have to have video refs then they must be allowed to rule on everything. Barring them from ruling on forward passes is idiotic.
All they have to check is whether the ball left the player's hand in a backwards direction. Forget momentum or the ball floating forward. That is not relevant. Just stop the frame a few inches from the hands and check. The decision would be clear.
These vidiots manage to rule on the most minute detail, such as separation of fingers from the ball.
If the vidiots could rule on a ball being passed forward/backwards then that would allow a Captain's Challenge.

I agree.

Isn't it totally like the nrl to have brought in a captains challenge (something Todd said no to 100 times until finally relenting) but still make it so captain and video refs cant adjudicate on the passes.

You know... passes. the actual core of the game.

"Rugby league... the ball has to leave your hands backwards... but after 100 years we still can't adjudicate on it."

Yep. we must accept tired humans can make the decision in a split second more accurately than all the tech we have today.

Must be nice to have kept that 'one thing' that can't be questioned. Comes in handy at times for those favoured few.

At least with Vlandys a modicum of common sense has been returned to the game. Wouldn’t be surprised if he addressed the issue.

And I’ll take the $1.10 on offer that the first team to be awarded a try after going to the video under the new rule re a forward pass will be our opponents

I don't understand how they can rule on offside but can't rule on a forward pass. It's ludicrous and hopefully V'landys can sort it out cos its such a simple thing to do. Why cant the touchies do what they do in EVERY other try scoring situation and tell the ref to go back and check just like they do for a foot on the sideline or an offside call. If the video ref has enough angles to overturn it then they should easily be able to do so. Simple rule that needs changing

I don't understand how they can rule on offside but can't rule on a forward pass. It's ludicrous and hopefully V'landys can sort it out cos its such a simple thing to do. Why cant the touchies do what they do in EVERY other try scoring situation and tell the ref to go back and check just like they do for a foot on the sideline or an offside call. If the video ref has enough angles to overturn it then they should easily be able to do so. Simple rule that needs changing
or at least let the Vidiot be allowed to rule when there is a Captain's Challenge.

From the article:

Meanwhile, Annesley also backed touch judge Liam Kennedy to keep his job for this round, saying he did not deserve to be “castigated or relegated”.

- rubbish! He deserves to be dropped and castigated. Get him to sign on here. Wanker.

“While he has made an error of judgement it is not because of any incompetence or anything like that.

- It's either incompetence of cheating, you pick. Guy stays silent the whole game until the final play when Manly is on the attack. Happened against St George last year as well, and surprise surprise it would have given us a penalty to win the game.

At least that touchie got dropped and not babied like this current one.

“The thing in his favour is that the ball did travel forward across the ground, there is no question that it drifted forward.

- That is a totally ridiculous thing to say and inflammatory to the fans (of which no one has apologised to). Why? Because the law says that the ball can travel forward. This is a stupid thing to say and unfortunately shows that maybe annersley is out of his depth. We need someone to fix these things but instead they've just found one guy who is happy each week to trot out fake apologies.

“And it is always exasperated (sic) when the player who gets tackled kind of stops immediately.

- I referred to this above, as have others, but if you can't show officials examples on this and have them learn from it, then get rid of them all. Year after year when the passer gets tackled immediately, moron one or moron two claims a forward pass.

All the second part of that article tells me is that the officials know the problem, refuse to fix the problem, and don't care about the consequences. What a mob of a-holes.

From the article:

Meanwhile, Annesley also backed touch judge Liam Kennedy to keep his job for this round, saying he did not deserve to be “castigated or relegated”.

- rubbish! He deserves to be dropped and castigated. Get him to sign on here. Wanker.

“While he has made an error of judgement it is not because of any incompetence or anything like that.

- It's either incompetence of cheating, you pick. Guy stays silent the whole game until the final play when Manly is on the attack. Happened against St George last year as well, and surprise surprise it would have given us a penalty to win the game.

“The thing in his favour is that the ball did travel forward across the ground, there is no question that it drifted forward.

- That is a totally ridiculous thing to say and inflammatory to the fans (of which no one has apologised to). Why? Because the law says that the ball can travel forward. This is a stupid thing to say and unfortunately shows that maybe annersley is out of his depth. We need someone to fix these things but instead they've just found one guy who is happy each week to trot out fake apologies.

“And it is always exasperated (sic) when the player who gets tackled kind of stops immediately.

- I referred to this above, as have others, but if you can't show officials examples on this and have them learn from it, then get rid of them all. Year after year when the passer gets tackled immediately, moron one or moron two claims a forward pass.

All the second part of that article tells me is that the officials know the problem, refuse to fix the problem, and don't care about the consequences. What a mob of a-holes.
Posts like this (and the one yesterday) are why you are who you are I guess.

All hail agent G, the bringer of the light.

The pass from Tom was actually perfection. I think we still have some of Greenburgs weeds to be pulled. That touchie was prepared to put a major blemish on his career to **** Manly over.

I'm going to give the touchie the benefit of the doubt that he just made a mistake.

Yeah, i'm a bit of a softie...if you haven't noticed. @:cool:

But he still deserves to have his balls chewed off by a lycan for such a horrendous faux pas.

Has to be done..

its a fkn circus at the moment.

Storm were robbed by a useless blind touch judge last year in a final and now us. And both decisions could of easily been overturned using technology to get the right result.

It's not rocket science.
I have absolutely NO problems with Storm being robbed each and every week.
Its called Karma.

From the article:

Thats the big issue here. Do they actually train for forward passes? Do they watch videos, do they simulate games and re watch training videos to see they are making the right call? They might always think they are right until it is game day and they are exposed by numerous replays. They need specific training on forward passes and momentum etc Also, allow video refs to rule on forward passes, the touchie can give his input but in a try scoring situation the touchie should NOT be making the call. In no other situation or ruling in the game is the touchie responsible for ruling a try or no try, he merely gives his opinion.

These incidents highlight the need to have the video ref involved in forward pass decisions. It can only do more good than harm. Last year PV said he didn’t believe fans should feel their team had been robbed and it’s still happening.

The NRL is still keen to pursue the development of Hawk-Eye style technology to rule on forward passes despite the financial crunch of coronavirus halting its potential arrival in the NRL earlier this year.

If it wasn't for COVID-19, Manly may have beaten the Eels on Saturday night via instantenous proof that Tom Trbojevic's pass went backwards.

Before the coronavirus pandemic brought sport around the world to a halt, the NRL had several companies working towards producing technology which would categorically tell match officials whether a pass was forward or not.

The world-first technology wouldn't have mimicked the Hawk-Eye used in cricket or tennis but rather tracked a player's hands when they passed the ball, since that is the factor which determines whether a pass is deemed legal or not.

NRL 2020: Video referee could be used to rule on forward passes after error in Manly loss to Eels
I'm so glad the NRL is taking notice of the peals of wisdom sprouted on the Silvertails forum.
I also hear that they are considering adopting an earlier Silvertails suggestion that the team scoring a try kicks off.

Use the bunker and its gotta be conclusive evidence just like every other rule they judge on. If its not conclusive then go with the ref's call. Not sure why this is so difficult

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6