VERY interesting

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jay Eagle

Reserve Grader
Had dinner with a player manager last night, he has a few player on our roster.

The interesting info that I can pass on is.

Ben Turbo- is a future NRL star, he believes as good as Turbo in attack and defends hard like Jake
Sione Fainu, Had 12 clubs chasing him hard, 2 of which offered him NRL prop money without playing a game he stayed because of Manase and his influence.
Tevita Funa- Huge potential but lacks application and very lazy, injury rehab was not what the club wanted to see from him.
Albert Hopoate- Gun but needs a injury free run to regain confidence

Josh Schuster. Every club chasing HARD and the money being thrown around is ridiculous, we may struggle to hold onto him but the " Fultons" are doing their best to ensure he doesn't go anywhere.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2432643786970394 Check that link out, hes a freak

Our main issue is DCE, The Tro Bros, big $$ ontop of AFB, Marty.
Walks wants to stay but we may not be able to fit him in due to cap

I hope we keep Schuster

OH forgot to add, when Des came back he asked to get Tom Wright back, but it was too late and he will likely not return to league as hes making some serious coin in Rugby now.

The reason he left , BAZ, the coach myth, telling him he was a center or even a lock?? the best 6 in the NYC and Baz wants him to be a centre or Lock... Great move Baz.
And this was after his manager had numerous meetings with Baz and the club about his client ( Player) not being happy at the lack of direction being shown for an NRL pathway
Some will say his ( Wrights) defence was suspect but according to the "manager" our first grade coach and the ability to see a players quality was " Suspect"

Also this manager is a Sharks supporter and even though he has 30+ NRL players on his books none are with the Sharks, so no bias shown which I found pretty cool to think that he wouldn't automatically steer a player to the sharks.

Last edited:
Had dinner with a player manager last night, he has a few player on our roster.

The interesting info that I can pass on is.

Ben Turbo- is a future NRL star, he believes as good as Turbo in attack and defends hard like Jake
Sione Fainu, Had 12 clubs chasing him hard, 2 of which offered him NRL prop money without playing a game he stayed because of Manase and his influence.
Tevita Funa- Huge potential but lacks application and very lazy, injury rehab was not what the club wanted to see from him.
Albert Hopoate- Gun but needs a injury free run to regain confidence

Josh Schuster. Every club chasing HARD and the money being thrown around is ridiculous, we may struggle to hold onto him but the " Fultons" are doing their best to ensure he doesn't go anywhere.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2432643786970394 Check that link out, hes a freak

Our main issue is DCE, The Tro Bros, big $$ ontop of AFB, Marty.
Walks wants to stay but we may not be able to fit him in due to cap

I hope we keep Schuster
Thanks Jay.
Very interesting.
I'd lose walker if it came down to it amongst those players...

Me at the same dinner...

giphy.gif

Yeah, that was in the back of my mind also, I actually didn't know that he was a Sports manager, Ive been doing some work for him on his house and we caught up for dinner last night and it just became part of the conversation.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve heard the rumours about Schuster being enticed. But then you’ve got @Snake saying
take it as gospel he’ll be here. And he has proven to be a pretty good judge.
If you do run into him again, can you ask him what he thinks of Isaac Moses?!
(Unless it is Isaac Moses, then probably forget that. @;)).

Thanks for sharing. I’ve heard the rumours about Schuster being enticed. But then you’ve got @Snake saying
What about the Orr bros?
Their pretty......
Reliable

No it's not Isaac and yes we discussed this... It looks like a certain player manager may be deregistered and there will be a huge amount of players looking for new representation... So to answer your question it doesn't seem Isaac is everyone's friend as not much good was said.

@Jay Eagle ... you should post this on the Manly pages on Facebook. That would get some tongues wagging lol

Have to say, its not the first time I have heard that story about Tom Wright leaving more because he wasn't happy with how Barrett wanted to use (or not use) him than for any real desire to go back to rugby union, regardless what money the Brumbies might be paying him. But now that he's there and is earning that money, don't expect him back in an NRL jumper any time soon.

Last edited:
Someone has to make way for these up and comers if we are to be a force over the next few years.

For me it's Kapow. I love his game and how he carries the team but if the rumours are true and he is taking close to $800k - I think we need to better utilise this money.

We have Keppie, Paseka, Sipley all ready to step up and plug the hole. A smart cheaper acquisition for a prop in the offseason and I don't think we would notice the loss of the big fella so much.

All about value for money and managing the current crop of junior talent that's about to burst onto the scene - who would want to be a salary cap manager?....

We could possibly afford to lose a forward , but probably not a back, so maybe you are right.

Someone has to make way for these up and comers if we are to be a force over the next few years.
Doesn’t have to happen immediately. Team spirit in the squad is also important and shopping people around might affect that negatively. Let the best youngsters force their way in by their performances, not just on potential.

If Tom Wright was going to be the next big thing and had a genuine desire to make it in the NRL then there were 15 other NRL clubs that could have picked him up. Maybe they were all coached by myths too, or maybe he just didn't have it. Who knows.... but he's gone and unlikely to come back. From what I saw it's not a decision we will live to regret.

I expect its a juggling act because we can't retain everybody. It must be a matter to balancing team spirit and providing a pathway for talent. I can't see us retaining Dylan. If it means we retain Schuster then it the price that has to be paid. The fact we signed that young centre from Newcastle might be an indicator. If Dylan has to sign elsewhere I'm sure he will do well. It is a shame that we really didn't get bang for our buck.

So many players leaving to free up cap space and the fact we get $350,000 extra now the rubbish salary debate is over...the only reason there is a balancing act is to retain the Turbo bros, which is the obvious priority. The thing is regardless of opposition offers, Manly will have last option on them and the move to sign Ben earlier, was shrewd business....

We lose Api, hodko, perrett and Elgey plus no salary cap penalty. Thommo and Taufua on less money. If we are merely upgrading players surely we have enough to keep everyone else.
After the 2020 season however, we may need to let a big name go. As mentioned above and as I said in my thread months ago Taupau is probably the obvious choice as he is off contract and there is no mention of manly looking to extend at this stage

Here we go again.....let’s get rid of this player & that player & let’s sign this player & that player. Perhaps the Trbos could take less money to stay so we can keep all our players including Walker. We could save a $hitload of money & sign quite a few good players with the money on offer for the brothers! Perhaps we should let them go? Go after Papenhuyzen who we’d get for half of what Tom is asking.......just sayin’

Last edited:
Here we go again.....let’s get rid of this player & that player & let’s sign this player & that player. Perhaps the Trbos could take less money to stay so we can keep all our players including Walker. We could save a $hitload of money & sign quite a few good players with the money on offer for the brothers!

So........you're suggesting we are better off letting Jake and Tom go ?

I'm guessing you're not going to find too many that agree with you if that's your stance.

They've already stated they'll take less to stay. But you can't offer them 300K each and expect that to be ok. Let Walker go if we have to but Jake and Tom must stay.

They're just too important to this side to be let go.

We lose Api, hodko, perrett and Elgey plus no salary cap penalty. Thommo and Taufua on less money. If we are merely upgrading players surely we have enough to keep everyone else.
After the 2020 season however, we may need to let a big name go. As mentioned above and as I said in my thread months ago Taupau is probably the obvious choice as he is off contract and there is no mention of manly looking to extend at this stage
On this point, that gives a fair bit of extra coin -
Maybe not exact but working out the extra money 2020...
Api - $400,000
Perrett - $300,000 -
Hogko - $300,000
Elgey $250,000
Salary Cap - $350,000 + $200,000 increase for 2020

That's 1.75 million (approx)

Tom and Jake go to 1 million and $900,000 respectively already in 2020, so how much more will they climb ??

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4