Very Important, RE: The New site, All members please read

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
With the new site and the speration in layers with the Forum, I am strongly considering yet another radical change to how things currently operate.

At the moment we have all have a site wide profile, which works for the forums and every other part of the site. This is fine and works well.

However with the new site we will be moving to some newer technologies which includes a forum system that is separate to the site itself, this will result in a faster site and a faster forum, especially since the forum software we will be using (SMF) is faster than e107 (our current framework) itself, the bulk of the site being our news and our forum posts, it will be good to move these two systems apart.

There is however a "Gotcha" in this, being that there is no current full integration between the user systems of the forum and the site itself.
What this means is that I am strongly considering having separate user systems rather than trying to couple them together. Further meaning that you will have an account for the website and a separate account for the forums, two logins.

This all in all is not a big deal and there will be opportunities to integrate them fully further down the road, at this stage i want to see it proven before we jump on board in an RC or Beta release (it is Alpha at the moment which means first, feature, incomplete release)

This is going to be good for some and bad for others.

Firstly, if you currently have a forum account then you don't need to do a thing and don't need to worry, if the forum is all you use. Your account will exist already in the new forums.
What I won't be doing, is transferring your current existing accounts from the forums to the new site.

This further means, that if you would like to participate in the Tipping comp, post news or articles, or get involved in any of our other interactive site level activities, you will need to register a second time on the site itself.

For 90% of the users on the site, this should not be a problem as you either use 1 or the other, for the rest well it is a slight issue, but hopefully not massive

Whether you have an account on the site or not, you will still be able to view the news and articles and see everything on the site, so it all depends on your level of involvement and future involvement.

Though with all this said and done, there is still a chance that before the site release a stable integration will become available and all the above will be a moot point.

A further note is also that the new site (not the forum) has a limitation where your usernames must be at least 4 characters long for security reasons.

Please comment and let me know whether this is too much of a headache for you or your thoughts and opinions.

Dan

I don't have a problem with that. Am I right that the ST site and the Forum will be 2 different url's, that you won't be able to see ST content from a Forum page? I think that would be a shame but that is the way it goes. I do think the number of hits you would get from an integrated site (as now) vs. 2 separate ones would result in a drop (if you added the separate ones together).

MB no that is incorrect, the forum will be integrated in, that you will be able to see it within the content of ST, so they will be rolled up that way.

However the content I will be showing around the forums will be much more limited because there are essentially too many queries on the forum pages at the moment and the less (like the news) will cut things in half for load times.

But there will be somewhat of a tie in. Grab me on the phone later this afternoon and I will explain and give you the URL to some mockup's.

Also I remember you having some abilities in graphic design and wondering if you would like to helpd get a new design underway. I have some ideas

Dan, I'm out this arvo. PM me the URL mockups and a landline# and suitable time and I will have a look tonight or tomorrow morning and call you.

I dont have a land line but I will PM you a few links etc

There are security reasons why i cant give demo's out at the moment, the site is basically wide open. But will show a few people as we move along

Damn, Fro is only 3 letters :)

sounds good Dan, shouldnt be too much of a drama.
Simple, just put a full stop at the end i.e. Fro.

Problem solved. :yeah:

MB no that is incorrect, the forum will be integrated in, that you will be able to see it within the content of ST, so they will be rolled up that way.

However the content I will be showing around the forums will be much more limited because there are essentially too many queries on the forum pages at the moment and the less (like the news) will cut things in half for load times.

But there will be somewhat of a tie in. Grab me on the phone later this afternoon and I will explain and give you the URL to some mockup's.

Also I remember you having some abilities in graphic design and wondering if you would like to helpd get a new design underway. I have some ideas

Sounds a bit like the Rockers site where even though you have a log in for the site, you have to sign in again to get into the forum.

To an extent yeah, I could integrate them fuly with a lot of work, but I don't think it is worth it, there is somewhat of an integration for logins, but the point being, how often will you need to sign into both?

with the forum you can login "Forever" so that alleviates that.

As for putting a full stop at the end that won't work for security reasons that is an invalid character.

He could become "Afro" or my personal preference.......Guy Sebastian

hehe good ideas, except Fro is derived from my name not my haircut, I actually shave my head smooth as a babies butt

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2