Velvets play Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shoe1

Journey Man
IMG_3917.JPG
In 1972 we had the Velvet Underground playing at half time apparently. Venus in furs and Sister Ray would have brought the house down. Makes the current half time entertainment look pretty pale. Good on arko for bringing in avant-garde NYC art rock.

Last edited:
If we had a home game we could've brought them out for a 45 year reunion.
As long as they are still with us.

Paul Dawson was a PE teacher at my school, Forest High. His brother, Chris, also played for the Jets & has been under investigation for the disappearance of his wife, Lynette, a number of years ago.
Both were PE teachers who enjoyed close relationships with their female students........

Yep it was an Aussie band nothing to do with Lou Reed.

Mal Young played with them for a while, then quit or got punted. He formed another band himself.

Some of the members joined a bloke called Ted Mulry who had massive success.

Re the Aussie velvet underground. I wonder why they chose that name when the real one had already released
Paul Dawson was a PE teacher at my school, Forest High. His brother, Chris, also played for the Jets & has been under investigation for the disappearance of his wife, Lynette, a number of years ago.
Both were PE teachers who enjoyed close relationships with their female students........
chris was at cromer and beacon hill highs

View attachment 5205 In 1972 we had the Velvet Underground playing at half time apparently. Venus in furs and Sister Ray would have brought the house down. Makes the current half time entertainment look pretty pale. Good on arko for bringing in avant-garde NYC art rock.
Some interesting names in the team lists that day! Here's a few on the Newtown side...

The 3rd grade side featured Paul Hayward. A tough, blond headed young 5/8 whose promising first grade career ended dramatically a few years later when he was busted in Thailand trying to export heroin to Australia (at the direction of his brother-in-law … the notorious Neddy Smith). He got sentenced to 30 years

Also in the first grade team - Gary Sullivan, quite a talent who was selected for Australia after only 6 first grade games. He later got sentenced to 20 years for 14 bank robberies.

And of course second rower Paul Dawson had a twin brother Chris also at Newtown, though missed that game. After the widely publicised podcast investigation (referred to above by @Normie ) Chris was charged for the 1982 murder of his wife and is currently awaiting trial.

Also a couple of Manly connections -
Peter Byrne who a few years later played one solitary game for Manly (pops up in trivia questions).

Also Test winger Lionel Williamson is Luke’s uncle.

Some interesting names in the team lists that day! Here's a few on the Newtown side...

The 3rd grade side featured Paul Hayward. A tough, blond headed young 5/8 whose promising first grade career ended dramatically a few years later when he was busted in Thailand trying to export heroin to Australia (at the direction of his brother-in-law … the notorious Neddy Smith). He got sentenced to 30 years

Also in the first grade team - Gary Sullivan, quite a talent who was selected for Australia after only 6 first grade games. He later got sentenced to 20 years for 14 bank robberies.

And of course second rower Paul Dawson had a twin brother Chris also at Newtown, though missed that game. After the widely publicised podcast investigation (referred to above by @Normie ) Chris was charged for the 1982 murder of his wife and is currently awaiting trial.

Also a couple of Manly connections -
Peter Byrne who a few years later played one solitary game for Manly (pops up in trivia questions).

Also Test winger Lionel Williamson is Luke’s uncle.
Some top shelf trivia there. My favourite is easily the Gary Sullivan story. Nice

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2