Vale Lindsay Drake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wow, he wouldn't be that much older than me :sweating:

I never was a fan of his as he seemed to appear for the tries but not for the grunt in defense :cool:

RIP

The Duck. Great attacking player. Very sad news.

I remember Frank Stanton and the selectors putting back into 1st grade for his last three top grade games ever in 1979, against Cronulla, Canterbury and St George. He played very well in all three games. I remember my boss at the time, a Parramatta supporter, telling me ‘Drake, good attacking player!’ If someone has the 1979 team photo, Drake’s in there, with his famously unsmiling visage!

We won the first two (19-14, 12-3) and but for Wombat’s absence in the Saints (25-18) game, would probably have won that too.

In reserve grade, he always struck you as a first grader stuck in the reserves.

I saw him training with the team at Reub Hudson in early 1980, but clearly he either gave it away, considering who was notionally in front of him (Randall, Walker, Boyd, Brown, Vautin, Springall), or Allan Thomson told him it was time.

Interestingly, he was basically picked from reserve grade to play for NSW in 1971. The selectors told Manly to select him for 1st grade because they were going to select him for NSW, but Manly insisted on picking Allan Thomson instead. It was quite a controversy at the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if that played a part in him heading off to St George for four years. Another great example of Manly ‘looking after its juniors.’

Played in our losing GF team as lock in 1970, because I think there were some concerns re: Thomson’s (there’s that man again) fitness for a full game. Thommo did play off the bench.

Then he played for the Saints in that epic loss to Easts in 1975. In some respects, a very unlucky player.

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg

RIP - LINDSAY DRAKE SEA EAGLE
apart from playing first grade Drake won the Ironman event at the League Olympics at Leichhardt Oval in 1978

Have you considered that that reporting from the Mole may have been based on the original Woodsie post?

There is nothing in the traditional press. Nothing from the club. This was a bloke who played across 10 seasons in first grade, one NSW game in unusual circumstances, plus two losing GF teams as well as other finals games. I would expect to see it mentioned somewhere else apart from a twitter post or on this forum.

Have you considered that that reporting from the Mole may have been based on the original Woodsie post?

There is nothing in the traditional press. Nothing from the club. This was a bloke who played across 10 seasons in first grade, one NSW game in unusual circumstances, plus two losing GF teams as well as other finals games. I would expect to see it mentioned somewhere else apart from a twitter post or on this forum.
Golden eagles posted it on Facebook, but I’m not sure of their source.

Unfortunately, i can confirm, thanks for all the well wishes to friends and family.

I would like to share this Golden Eagles post by an old school friend

"Very sad to hear of Lindsay passing away. We were friends when we were at Narrabeen Boys High together playing in our first 15 premiership side in 1967. After school we played for Norths under 19's in the union on the Saturday and Allambie Heights in the league on the Sunday. In those days union had strict amature regulations which could see you barred from the game if you played league so Lindsay played for Norths under an assumed name and I did the same for Allambie Heights. He was a very good athlete with an amazing standing jump that he put to good effect winning a disproportionate amount of line-out ball from taller opponents in the days before lifting in the line-outs was allowed. He was best known for his time in League at St George where he was a respected second rower. I caught up with him about 4 years ago when we had a reunion for the 1967 school premiership team. He had obviously been doing it tough and had some memory issues but warmed to the good company from the past and had a good time. RIP Lindsay."

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2425663077667822&id=1522792471288225

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4