Unwanted Horo starring for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle Has Landed

Bencher
Tipping Member
Unwanted by NRL wooden-spooners Parramatta, Justin Horo was preparing to spend 2013 playing park football in France and back-packing around Europe.

Instead, he's gearing up for his first ever finals appearance as an integral member of Manly's high-quality back-row.

It's a career rebirth that says as much about Horo's ability as the Eels' questionable recruitment and retention policy - that a player of his ilk was not wanted by a club that is about to run last for the second year in a row.

Eels fan will be given a stark reminder of what might have been on Saturday night, when Horo returns to Parramatta Stadium for the first time since his departure from the club.

Dumped to the NSW Cup by the Eels coach Stephen Kearney after the opening round of the 2012 season - Horo was then told he had no future at the Eels by incoming coach Ricky Stuart.

"There were some tough times there, I had a few little niggling injuries that didn't help as well," Horo said of his last season at the Eels.

"When they told me I wasn't needed it was a tough time, a dark time for me there.

"I was speaking to few clubs ... nothing was really sorted at Manly until the Friday before the Monday start of pre-season.

"There was a time there where I was training by myself.

"I didn't know what was going on."

After a deal to head to Melbourne fell through, Horo was left contemplating his future in the game at age 26.

"One of my mates went over and was playing (in the) French rugby league - I had an opportunity to go over there two or three years ago before I made my debut," Horo said.

"I probably would have got on the phone and rang him to see if there was opportunity over there and do a bit of travelling and enjoy being in my mid-20s.

"It's worked out for the best now."

Not only for Horo but for Manly too, the Auckland-born NZ Maori representative proving the perfect - and much cheaper - replacement for Tony Williams.

His two tries against Wests Tigers on Monday night took his season tally to eight - his performances earning him a new two-year contract which he is expected to sign this week.

And while he admits to feeling for the plight of his former Eels teammates, Horo said there would be no let-up on Saturday night.

"I'm close with the boys, I speak to them regularly," Horo said.

"I know they're going through a tough time there.

"They're going to be desperate next week when we play them - no friends when it comes to next week that's for sure."

The 'scope is on fire at the moment. He has been a great acquisition for us this year and I really hope the talk of him signing on again next year comes to fruition.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
Buy of the year I reckon with Lawrence coming in a close second.

Don't forget about Tom Symonds to round up the season's great buys for Manly.

It seems to be a great quality of the Manly club that we can take unwanted players and turn them into such quality players. The list over the last 10 years would be enormous.

Killer03 said:
It seems to be a great quality of the Manly club that we can take unwanted players and turn them into such quality players. The list over the last 10 years would be enormous.

The Storm and Manly would be leading the way in this department for sure. It all relates back to culture. Our great club has the best culture in the league, closely followed by the storm. No surprising the 2 teams have been the most successfull over the last few years. A strong culture brings out the best in these bargain buys.

The thing I enjoy most about watching Horo play is how well he runs the "courage line"!

Its just an insult to those of us (Manly) who know about culture.

Cant help but picture Bellamy in that farcical, charade, walk out in front of the media when the rorts were exposed. The term cheating doesnt really cut it with the scum.

Would like to thank the eels for their brilliant move in letting Horo go. And for all the other great players they let us sign.

What a sensation he has been this year. Loving his combo with Foz.

Jatz Crackers said:
MPC75 said:
Our great club has the best culture in the league, closely followed by the storm.

Ahem. The storm do NOT have a culture !

They have a cheating culture :dodgy:

Love them or hate them, they still have a strong culture. That's why they won the comp last year. How many unwanted players were in that team? there was a few

Killer03 said:

Manly is the only club with a genuine club culture that no other club can match. It comes from constantly employing ex long term players as coaches. These guys have lived and breathed the club during their playing days and then they pass it on to their players. It stems right back to the days when Arko went from player to coach and it has been that way ever since. The few coaches we've had that didn't come from within had little to no success. It's what makes Manly unique in the NRL. No other club can say that.

MPC75 said:
Love them or hate them, they still have a strong culture. That's why they won the comp last year. How many unwanted players were in that team? there was a few

I agree about "unwanted players"

But I disagree about that meaning culture.

The storm (to date) have been nothing more than a team propped up by their owners & yet still have the need to explore every dishonourable tactic that scum coach can devise to try to gain advantage over honest hard toiling teams like ours.

Culture.....far**in ppppffftttttt.

No other club can boast this. Every Manly grand final team in our history has been coached by an ex Manly player or a captain/coach.
Wally O'Connell, Ken Arthurson, George Hunter, Ron Willey, Frank Stanton, Ray Ritchie, Bob Fulton, Des Hasler and soon to be Geoff Toovey.

MPC75 said:
Killer03 said:

The Storm and Manly would be leading the way in this department for sure. It all relates back to culture. Our great club has the best culture in the league, closely followed by the storm. No surprising the 2 teams have been the most successfull over the last few years. A strong culture brings out the best in these bargain buys.

It sure helps when you have spare brown paper sandwich bags in the case of the drizzle scum.

Jethro said:
Buy of the year I reckon with Lawrence coming in a close second.

Don't forget about Tom Symonds to round up the season's great buys for Manly.

The Prince of Brookvale said:
T-Rex, Lussick, Harrison & Oldfield have also been great for their respective clubs :D

So in another thread we are discussing if 2V is a good coach. Would this point out that he is? We got rid of some less than perfect high-priced players in the main and replaced them with these guys.

2V would have had a lot of input into that I suspect.

I heard it mentioned that Doesn'tMatta is paying part of Horo's salary this season. If it's true, how great is that?
They reckon he couldn't play and are paying us to prove he can. Brilliant.
No wonder they win so many spoons.

I can't bag Parra. They are a strong Feeder Team for us!

Horro, Ferris, Killer, I'm sure there are more..... Thank you

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6