Two seperate pieces of the same puzzle?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Manly_92

I haven’t been very active on this site for a fair while but with what appears to be Trent’s inevitable exit from the club, i felt it necessary to weigh in on the subject seeing how it has opened up a can of worms regarding the future tenure of his position; more specifically the potential of des hasler and/ or geoff toovey returning to the club to take over.

To be honest i wouldn’t want either of them by themselves, and whilst I still don’t agree with those of you who argue that a prerequisite for the role should be that they have played for manly in the past, i do actually like the idea of hasler (head coach) and tooves (assistant coach) working together again.

Individually they have shown fundamental flaws in their ability to successfully fulfil the role of head coach; but maybe they are just two seperate pieces of the same puzzle.

Tooves would help keep des’ madness in check (i.e. his player-KPI’s and all that other scientific bull**** that he started carrying on with at the dogs); and most importantly he is a chartered accountant, so he could help keep des’ spending within the confines of each year’s salary cap limit.

And on the other side of the coin, des actually listens to, and confers with his players regarding decisions that effect the team, things like: player-selections, player-recruitment/retention, in-game tactics; all the stuff that tooves has failed at in the past.

Between the two of them as coach, either featured in grand finals in 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

Is there even an argument to getting them both back outside of Des arguably questionable salary cap management?

Between the two of them as coach, either featured in grand finals in 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

Is there even an argument to getting them both back outside of Des arguably questionable salary cap management?

It would be hard to argue against them as a packaged deal, like i suggested before i think they would balance each other out and we would get the best of both worlds. But hiring one without the other might not be in our best interest at this point in time.

The Bulldogs sacked Des because he supposedly didn’t understand their culture but, there is one culture he does understand and that is Manly and even more so Toovey. They have proven they can play together and coach together so I don’t see a problem. We’d be back to the ‘siege’ mentality and pride in the jersey.

Sure, Des left but none of us know the circumstances and for Barret to also be supposedly quitting, it says a lot more so about Penn and his cronies on the board. And to sack Toovey like they did plus all the CEOs et al.

Yes, Des has been clearly shown to be a disaster when it comes to salary caps but, did we not win two grand finals under his tenure and would you give any one of those back to ensure we were not in crap later. Not me as how many clubs have won grand finals every decade since the 70’s?

I have long thought the best COA for Manly is Des as Director of Football and Grooves as 1st grade coach.

Of course, for that to happen the Penns would have to do a volte face and DCG has to go offline as the outfit’s Staff Officer Leaks (SOLKS).

Or just sell up to someone who has the best interests of MWSE at heart.

I don't think the salary cap is a concern under Hasler...he doesn't actually sign the players, he tells the club what he wants and they draw up the contracts. Canterbury are responsible for giving Hasler the keys to the city...more fool the club!

The backended deals at Manly weren't as bad and outside of Glenn Stewart, we kept what we wanted for a number of years.

As long as Manly aren't dumb enough to do whatever Hasler wants, we should be fine.

I'd love to have Tooves back but anyone with a casual knowledge of the relationship between Zorba/Penn and Tooves, knows that it won't happen unless the club is sold off to a new owner.

Hasler on the other hand, is a serious option because Zorba and the Penn's like him.

How many members would not renew their membership under Hasler and Toovey and how many lapsed members would sign up again along with new members? I’m sure it would account to more members than we have now.

Penn needs to understand that he has to go back to the ‘model’ that worked and brought Manly so much success. We’ve got the roster and we just need a coach and support staff to re-build the culture that the Sea Eagles are historically known for.

Have a look at Jake in the team song after last week’s game. That’s the culture and while I like DCE, Jake is the culture of this club currently.

Would be ecstatic to have Toovs, Would be very than happy to have Des also (I understand @Mark from Brisbane has stated the bad stuff he's done although i'm willing to ignore that to restore manly). To get them as a package would be surreal, although would be bloody amazing, who knows, if they both want a role here as suggested by Toovs himself the other night there's no reason that can't be a possibility. The only barrier to us getting back either of these great leaders (id be a tiny bit skeptical about des as sole coach) would be some idiot up high who'd step in the way of saving manly. That shouldn't happen and Manly should always come first, although if it does and we end up with some little dib**** Neil Henry/Madge Maguire/Hook it'd be better off shutting down our club and putting that selfish prick on a stick in the middle of brookie oval

I don't think the salary cap is a concern under Hasler...he doesn't actually sign the players, he tells the club what he wants and they draw up the contracts. Canterbury are responsible for giving Hasler the keys to the city...more fool the club!

The backended deals at Manly weren't as bad and outside of Glenn Stewart, we kept what we wanted for a number of years.

As long as Manly aren't dumb enough to do whatever Hasler wants, we should be fine.

I'd love to have Tooves back but anyone with a casual knowledge of the relationship between Zorba/Penn and Tooves, knows that it won't happen unless the club is sold off to a new owner.

Hasler on the other hand, is a serious option because Zorba and the Penn's like him.
Do Zorba & Penns still "like" Hasler? Many posters on here claiming that the Penns are not on speaking terms with him after the way he left in 2011.

Not sure if anyone can clarify/ confirm??

A club isn't supposed to come back from the dead to win a grand final 40-0 over a grubby team that is $1 million over the cap. Des, Tooves and Donny can forever hold their heads very high over that achievement

Whilst having both back would be great, seeing that list of grandfinals may as well read
Des,des,des,des, team that des built, des

Lol

The Bulldogs sacked Des because he supposedly didn’t understand their culture but, there is one culture he does understand and that is Manly and even more so Toovey. They have proven they can play together and coach together so I don’t see a problem. We’d be back to the ‘siege’ mentality and pride in the jersey.

Jus imagine it for a second. First game back at Brooky. 2V & Sorry back. That Manly feeling back. It can be us vs the world that day. And Manly will win.

Des can coach the side and Tooves can handle the press conferences!
I miss Dessie’s pressers he’s one seriously dry dood.
I also remember him at a post game function on the Gold Coast in 2008 mooing in reference to the calves blood. Miss those times

Would love the two back ,but why would they sign Cart and Ferris wheel last week ,that is just throwing money away.Something I couldn't see these tightarses doing !

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6