TV rights update

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
The NRL TV rights battle is intensifying as the 2012 NRL season heats up.
"I think you'll find that Channel Nine don't have to win the rights, they have to lose the rights," Triple M's Ray "Rabs" Warren said on Triple M's nightly sports program Rush Hour last night. Rabs was speaking of the rumoured billion dollar bid for broadcast that could eventuate for the NRL.
"Channel Nine have the first and last rights as far as the current broadcast is confirmed," Triple M's Matty Johns explained on Triple M this morning.
"Which basically means, if Channel Ten or Channel Seven want to offer $1.1 billion, the league has to go back to Channel Nine, and say here's the bid... can you beat that?" Johns said.
"It's up to Seven or Ten to be much more proactive and aggressive in their bidding process, which they may do," Johns continued.
"Don't forget Kerry Packer almost sent Channel Seven broke by driving the price of the AFL through the roof (and he backed that Kerry Stokes would be it). They did beat it but had to sell off things to Channel Ten," Johns concluded.
"[NRL boss] David Gallop is well within his rights to go back and forwards... but at the end of the day Channel Nine have to say 'no thanks' for the other bid to win.
On whether the renewed TV interest is better for the game, Triple M's own NRL legend Mark "MG" Geyer says "bloody oath it is."

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/blog/matty-johns--mark-geyer-who-will-win-tv-rights-for-nrl/20120404-g0fd.html

Nothing new there. The ARLC isn't rushing to accept any Ch9/Fox deal and have informed them that they will wait until the current 'first rights' exclusivity period for negotiation is over, prior to assessing other bids from 7 and 10 (and whoever else is interested).

Well I hope that in the next contract for whoever gets it, the NRL/ARLC do not put that "first and last rights" clause into the contract.

Jethro said:
Well I hope that in the next contract for whoever gets it, the NRL/ARLC do not put that "first and last rights" clause into the contract.

It's normally in there because the Buyer pays more for the privelige to hold those rights. I don't see it having a massive influence these days, if there is interest in the wider market to offset it, and the League imposes a strong, binding contract regarding coverage.

Just before The IC was knighted in, gallop gave 9/fox the last reply for another 10 or 15 years for no apparent reason, pretty sure, while he still had the power.

jbb/james said:
Just before The IC was knighted in, gallop gave 9/fox the last reply for another 10 or 15 years for no apparent reason, pretty sure, while he still had the power.

Well that really sucks. That clause is right up there with player get out clauses in my opinion.

jbb/james said:

Not right. Only News Ltd has last reply on the basis of the compromise deal to move to an IC. Ch9 has nothing of the sort beyond the current deal.

Again, the deal News Ltd has just means they can have the last say, which if the deal is already high, just means they won't be able to pay peanuts if a competitor is willing to fork out big money initially.

Absolutely, having the first and last right of reply gives no favours.

It just means for example that if Channel 9 offer 1b, and 7 offer 1.2, Channel 9 must be given the right to match and/or better the offer.

Yeah they would have another chance to beat it.. It would keep going back and forth until one of the parties gave up, it really makes no difference except for the fact that Channel 9 can keep topping up their offer depending on what the other channels offer.

Fine, if it's a true auction. Although I have little faith in Gallop to deliver a satisfactory outcome. Hopefully the IC will have some balls in this game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6