Turbos open to taking less money to stay at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some of you accountant types might shed additional light or correction ... but let's just look at the difference of $100,000 in contract money ..

1) ... Will lose say $50,000 in tax ....
2) ... Will then spend an additional say 500 hours a year in travel time from Mona Vale to Bankstown ....
3) ... additional costs of petrol and wear and tear on vehicles .... say $ ? ... tax deductable ?
4) ... Being coached by Dean Pay ?
5) .... Health deterioration of living off a diet of take away kebabs rather than mom's roast dinners ... ?
6) ... Lose of potential eternal legend status as one club Manly Players .... value .... priceless ....

To those on a weekly wage the difference may seem worth it ... but if you are on $1 mil and offered a $1.1 mil .... the difference in lifestyle may not appear that great ....

any more insights into the poosble decision process ?

How long til greenturd says their market value is 1.5mil each and refuse to register any contracts under that amount...

Still pissed off with what they did with Gifty's contract. We offered about $300k for an aging and injury prone player, then the NRL says no, he's worth at least $600k.

Then only a couple of months later they allowed Doesn't-matta to sign Jarryd Hayne to a $500k contract which was $700k less than what he was on at the Titans. And no offence to Gifty, as good as he had been over the years, no way was he worth more at that point than Hayne who when he cared to show it was still one of the best players going around at the time.

Also have the dogs not learnt that poaching Manly people doesn't buy our culture.

Yeah but the Bulldogs are the "family club".

Nope, couldn't type that with a straight face.

Ah hahahahahahahahah

They bought Des, bought T-Rex, tried to buy Snake and Foran (though they eventually did get him later). But what they still don't get is that Manly's culture works.....at Manly. It doesn't work at Belmore.

I find all this hilarious. Are my figures correct that TT is on 900k and JT on 750k? They are obviously going to get an upgrade. We have an extra 350k after this year. They are signed to end of '20. How much more can someone else offer them for them to even have the interview??

Just appears to be a gap filler in the news cycle.

It’s great they would rather stay at Manly but hopefully the club doesn’t see that as a green light to offer an insulting low amount and piss them and their manager off.
Just come in and offer a fair amount to get it over and done with, playing games and dragging it out puts them on the open market which will make it harder to compete with an offer from a desperate club.

Last edited:
I find all this hilarious. Are my figures correct that TT is on 900k and JT on 750k? They are obviously going to get an upgrade. We have an extra 350k after this year. They are signed to end of '20. How much more can someone else offer them for them to even have the interview??

Just appears to be a gap filler in the news cycle.

Its Origin time and that, plus Manly being where they are on the ladder (as opposed to where the "experts" thought we would be), has the boys as the media flavour of the month.

Still pissed off with what they did with Gifty's contract. We offered about $300k for an aging and injury prone player, then the NRL says no, he's worth at least $600k.

Then only a couple of months later they allowed Doesn't-matta to sign Jarryd Hayne to a $500k contract which was $700k less than what he was on at the Titans. And no offence to Gifty, as good as he had been over the years, no way was he worth more at that point than Hayne who when he cared to show it was still one of the best players going around at the time.
Yea I agree. Loved gifty, but he averaged what, 10 matches a year his last 3 seasons with us?? Was worth about 250k.. Hated seeing him go though

I wonder why intelligent players, such as the Turbo brothers, need a manager, who is obviously the one planting these furphies about other clubs 'circling'. All the manager is doing is feathering his own bank account and creating unnecessary anxiety in the brothers and the club.
Surely someone the brothers could trust, such as their father, would be a better manager. He'd be looking after the best interests of his sons, not himself.
Paying 10% or more of your earnings to a so-called 'manager' may be sensible for those players who are naive or unworldly. But the Turbos are neither.
Very rarely does a relationship with a manager end well for a professional sportsperson or an entertainer. When a manager's business model relies solely on revenue what can you expect?
The "I love him like a son" rings hollow most times. "I love him like an ATM" is far more accurate.
I remember Alan Tounge that played for Canberra used to just negotiate his own deal and if the offer if acceptable take the new contract to his solicitor and then see his accountant as to how he should invest his money. Don’t know why more guys don’t do this, except the real dumb ones

Just come in and offer a fair amount to get it over and done with, playing games and dragging it out puts them on the open market which will make it harder to compete with an offer from a desperate club.

Hardly dragging it out old mate ... both lads are contracted for another 18 months and other clubs can't even talk to them for another 6 months .....

Both bous are currntly more worried about SOO 3 than contract negoations ..... all in the fullness of time ...

Some of you accountant types might shed additional light or correction ... but let's just look at the difference of $100,000 in contract money ..

1) ... Will lose say $50,000 in tax ....
2) ... Will then spend an additional say 500 hours a year in travel time from Mona Vale to Bankstown ....
3) ... additional costs of petrol and wear and tear on vehicles .... say $ ? ... tax deductable ?
4) ... Being coached by Dean Pay ?
5) .... Health deterioration of living off a diet of take away kebabs rather than mom's roast dinners ... ?
6) ... Lose of potential eternal legend status as one club Manly Players .... value .... priceless ....

To those on a weekly wage the difference may seem worth it ... but if you are on $1 mil and offered a $1.1 mil .... the difference in lifestyle may not appear that great ....

any more insights into the poosble decision process ?
I 100% agree with your analysis here.

If you were on the minimum wage in the NRL....which is about $85k I think? And another club offers you an extra $100k. So say $185k or even $200k. To me that's a complete no-brainer you take that, as the extra is huge. But when you were on a good quality money, an extra $100k, exactly 1/2 is eaten. Then you also travel, or move away from the lifestyle you love.

And post football. If the Turbos stay at Manly they have jobs at Manly (or at the least in the area) for life. You alienate now for a few extra bucks, and then the 30 years post football.....your earnings may dip.

The Turbos are again like Beaver. Opposition fans love them. And it's because they are just genuinely good guys who aren't mercenaries moving clubs for an extra 50 bucks. They want to be part of Manly.....and in return the NRL fans (as a whole) love them.

seriously... as long as the boys dont get low balled, a decent offer long term and the boys are are staying, how many times can they say they love the club!........ooohhh yeeah, just need one of the cheerleaders to tie jake down hehe, he seems too polite to chase them lovely ladies....

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ockwaves-through-the-nrl-20190818-p52i8x.html

Des-ire to do a deal

The issue for Manly when it comes to keeping the brothers Turbo is that coach Des Hasler is only contracted until the end of next season and they will need to sign him before Jake and Tom Trbojevic agree to long-term deals. Why would Hasler do the deals to keep the Turbos at the club when he may not be there?

The Eagles got Hasler on the cheap, but he has proved himself to be a great coach again and they will need to reward him when it comes to contract time.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ockwaves-through-the-nrl-20190818-p52i8x.html

Des-ire to do a deal

The issue for Manly when it comes to keeping the brothers Turbo is that coach Des Hasler is only contracted until the end of next season and they will need to sign him before Jake and Tom Trbojevic agree to long-term deals. Why would Hasler do the deals to keep the Turbos at the club when he may not be there?

The Eagles got Hasler on the cheap, but he has proved himself to be a great coach again and they will need to reward him when it comes to contract time.

I think that’s Hasler’s manager talking more than any anything!!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6