Tom Trbojevic destined to be one of the greats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Seeming you mention it...we already pay them "overs". "overs" in that the prices are higher than we can afford...not necessarily more than others would pay. There is almost always someone paying overs for the "big stars".

Please give reasons why you think my numbers are "slated towards the worst case scenario". Please supply "nicer" numbers to back this up.

What would I have done?

Well I certainly would not sign DCE on a cap slice WELL above what our total income can afford. Also I am pretty disappointed we spent so much on the T bros. Surely we cannot afford them and DCE and paid what another team would have to to make them leave.

I see our expenditure on these 3 as something we can't afford and be competitive.

It appears you just see my posts as something you don't like to hear. Sorry for being a realist.

What we should do now...I doubt anyone can fix it until at least DCE is gone unless we can find another 1-2M per year in TPA's .
Excellent thought provoking post 40yrs!

Imagine if we could sign Pangai Junior. He would be a beast just like Watmough was in his best years.

But as your post explains, due to the expense of the big three we don't even enter these types of conversations. We instead spend 3 million/year on a Graham clone, a guy who plays 8 games a year, and a third guy who is left with no supporting cast and misses tackles.

I know I am talking in caricatures, but this highlights no less the fact we can't afford to have all three on the books because we are going to miss the eight with all three AGAIN.
Further evidence in all of this is the fact that all three kill it in Origin - among the best players each year - because they do so around other great players who relieve pressure on them so they can shine. The current salary caps prevents this, so why are we paying for them all?.

NYEagle

Last edited:
You doomsdayers and panic merchants need to give yourselves an uppercut, take a Bex and come back after a lie down and repeat after me... I will only post something when I have something sensible to contribute. Arghhhh!

Don't you really mean, only post something you agree with?

Maybe they are not "panic merchants and doomsayers", maybe they are just being realistic. Ya think?

We will see... nothing surer. I've got my money on the realists against the dreamers any day.

Seeming you mention it...we already pay them "overs". "overs" in that the prices are higher than we can afford...not necessarily more than others would pay. There is almost always someone paying overs for the "big stars".

Please give reasons why you think my numbers are "slated towards the worst case scenario". Please supply "nicer" numbers to back this up.

What would I have done?

Well I certainly would not sign DCE on a cap slice WELL above what our total income can afford. Also I am pretty disappointed we spent so much on the T bros. Surely we cannot afford them and DCE and paid what another team would have to to make them leave.

I see our expenditure on these 3 as something we can't afford and be competitive.

It appears you just see my posts as something you don't like to hear. Sorry for being a realist.

What we should do now...I doubt anyone can fix it until at least DCE is gone unless we can find another 1-2M per year in TPA's .

Ha, it's a difference of opinion, and that is what the forum is all about.

See, I see myself as a realist, as someone who sees a players value decided by the market. Overs and unders is determined buy the market.

If you want yop quality players you need to pay.

I will not be providing friendlier numbers because I am man enough to say I dont know the players contracts nor how they are structured. front loaded, backloaded, bonuses, allowances yada yada yada.

Look we disagree so no point us firing back and forth but I'll finish with some straightforward questions.

Were you happy when DCE backflipped and when Turbo and Jake re-signed?

Simple as that, where you happy at that time or were you like. dammit, wish DCE stuck by the Titans.
When the boys rejected more money at the dogs were you pissed that we paid as much as we did and hoped they had headed to Belmore?

Because everything is easy in hindsight but the only true relection of what you thought of the deal is your response when it happened.

I for one was delighted in both instances!!

See, I see myself as a realist, as someone who sees a players value decided by the market. Overs and unders is determined buy the market.

I will not be providing friendlier numbers because I am man enough to say I dont know the players contracts nor how they are structured. front loaded, backloaded, bonuses, allowances yada yada yada.

Look we disagree so no point us firing back and forth but I'll finish with some straightforward questions.

Simple as that, where you happy at that time or were you like. dammit, wish DCE stuck by the Titans.
When the boys rejected more money at the dogs were you pissed that we paid as much as we did and hoped they had headed to Belmore?

Because everything is easy in hindsight but the only true relection of what you thought of the deal is your response when it happened.

All good mate. I'm not interested in back and forthing either, we have said our piece.

Let's just hope we can get someone on board the club who can find the 1-2M we need to be able to afford all 3 and compete with the clubs that have that extra money to spend..

On the face of it, yeah, you make some great points.

I wonder what Melbourne do. They seem to always have a "big three" or spine yet week after week, even with them out, deliver.

It could come down to the types of players they bring in as anchors, and the way the supporting roles are viewed.

I'll always support Manly until the end of time, hence my frustration. It's not like Manly made any bad decisions. It's just not working out.

NYEagle

I for one was delighted in both instances!!...

Can I say, No I was not happy when DCE backflipped for that ridiculous contract (I don't blame him for doing it though) ... I was happy when the twin turbos re-signed ... I would have been happy to have gotten DCE for 2/3 years on less money

Can I say, No I was not happy when DCE backflipped for that ridiculous contract (I don't blame him for doing it though) ... I was happy when the twin turbos re-signed ... I would have been happy to have gotten DCE for 2/3 years on less money
I mean I was annoyed we stuffed up by pursuing Foran then having to overpay.

But when I heard the news I was delighted. He was a young premiership winning half that looked like he'd dominate the NRL for the next ten years.

Didnt quiet play out exactly like that despite him being very good

Don't you really mean, only post something you agree with?

Maybe they are not "panic merchants and doomsayers", maybe they are just being realistic. Ya think?

We will see... nothing surer. I've got my money on the realists against the dreamers any day.
Nothing to do with agreeing - to do with the facts and intelligence behind the argument. I will again ask if you are one of the realists wanting to sell these three - who are you selling to? What portion are we paying and who are you buying? Do you also not see that injuries have cruelled us and that Des after last year's magic efforts was pretty much tied to those players because of those performances and salary cap restrictions. Oh my now we have a Graham clone comment from someone - bahahahahaha. That will do me!

Nothing to do with agreeing - to do with the facts and intelligence behind the argument. I will again ask if you are one of the realists wanting to sell these three - who are you selling to? What portion are we paying and who are you buying? Do you also not see that injuries have cruelled us and that Des after last year's magic efforts was pretty much tied to those players because of those performances and salary cap restrictions. Oh my now we have a Graham clone comment from someone - bahahahahaha. That will do me!
Facts and intelligence? Good grief, why din't you throw in common sense? My ONLY point in all these discussions about DCE, Tom and Jake has been that they take up FAR too much of our budget, not about moving them on.

The only solution I can see is finding the 1-2M needed to make their huge expenses viable. Done.

well sorry they are the cards we have - they wont take a paycut and there aint no magic $2million lying on the Manly foreshore. I agree that they made a mistake with DCE's contract - way too long and too much with the increase each year based on salary cap. But again that is how it is - unless there are better replacements at a cheaper price who want to come to Manly and we dont pay a chunk of their contract then we need to work with those contracts. There is no magic bullet. Des and Crusher need to find the real value at the bottom end and we need to start bringing in the young guys and blooding them. As I said I am sure the roster will get a shakeup this offseason.

I doubt even havingTom every week is enough with the new rules buddy. We are turning up at a wagyu market trying to peddle 3 wagyu steers and a bunch of cows. @:D

To a certain extent I agree however I reckon we would have won 2-3 more games with Tom playing. I also feel that Des would have been more willing to blood hoppa on the wing if Tom was there.

Oh I totally agree Disco! What are some of these people on this site on? They must be doing drugs or are on the drink or simply have marbles for brains. Has DCE played up to the standard we need over the last few weeks - no he hasn't. Is Turbo injured a lot - yes he is. Are they still two of the best players in the comp - yes they are and hopefully Turbo gets healthy. To say get rid of them and Jake - the very best forward in the game, the player every other player in the comp would want to play with is simply a joke. Would we have ditched Igor back in the day? Not a hope in hell. Jake is just as important to Manly as Randall was in the 70's/early 80's. Jake would be first picked in every other team... because clubs build culture and winning culture around players like Jake. Who are you people replacing them with if we sell them? Which fabulous and really cheap players are running around that we would grab to make us better? Also do you expect we can get good quality players and pay for them and yet still be paying a significant part of our former players contract money while they play for someone else after we ship them out? We would also certainly be less attractive to quality players if our quality players are gone! Then I read posts that Taupau is over rated, Parker should be a backrower or he is too slow, Des can't coach etc etc. I read this stuff and shake my head at that absolute folly of the argument but I keep quiet. Well today reading this garbage that we need to sell three of our best players - well that will do me. DCE has to step up absolutely - Turbo hopefully will get healthy - hopefully we will get some troops back soon. Our defence has been our problem - a lack of shoulders hitting bodies and a lack of talk in defence. The jersey grabbing has been poor - the changes in personnel and the lack of cohesion and talk in defence though has contributed massively to our problems but that is just an attitude issue - not a skill issue - it can and will be fixed. But for those wanting to sell our best players, have players playing in new positions, making wholesale changes, sacking the coach - you people seriously have got no idea. There will be changes in personnel at the end of this year. Dont forget Des is still working primarily with Barrett's roster. The roster Barrett failed with but Des has succeeded with and without all the injuries he would be succeeding again. But there will be player movement this off season and there will be new faces at Manly. Give Des a chance to build depth in the roster. He has been working essentially with Barrett's roster. We do need to blood one or two more youngsters and that will happen. Hopoate is not far away and young Schuster will get blooded. Paseka is growing into his role and Avocado last week looked like he is a player of the future. We just need to get some luck - pick up a couple of wins over the next few weeks, Turbo hopefully is healthy, DCE responds, AFB returns, no more injuries and we start hitting in defence and having a defensiveline that gets off the line much quicker than they have and we will be still right in the mix. You doomsdayers and panic merchants need to give yourselves an uppercut, take a Bex and come back after a lie down and repeat after me... I will only post something when I have something sensible to contribute. Arghhhh!
Agree totally re getting rid of our best players.

That is total madness but it is just as much madness to suggest the plodding team we are rolling out for the next three weeks will “ be in the mix “.
“Winning a couple of games over the next few weeks “ will in fact get us nowhere. They need to be perfect.We are two wins out of the eight now, probably 3 Sunday.

We lose on Sunday and Sharks Mixos win as expected and it’s game over for the season.

That’s the reality of where we are right now. We are a snowflakes chance in hell of making the eight if we lose Sunday... and with the Storm coming up not much more of a chance even if we do. AFB Tom Walker are three weeks away.

This is not a 26 round comp. Six rounds to go after this week.Lose on Sunday and we are cooked.And I’m sure they know that so some fight is needed.

Last edited:
Agree totally re getting rid of our best players.

That is total madness but it is just as much madness to suggest the plodding team we are rolling out for the next three weeks will “ be in the mix “.
“Winning a couple of games over the next few weeks “ will in fact get us nowhere. They need to be perfect.We are two wins out of the eight now, probably 3 Sunday.

We lose on Sunday and Sharks Mixos win as expected and it’s game over for the season.

That’s the reality of where we are right now. We are a snowflakes chance in hell of making the eight if we lose Sunday... and with the Storm coming up not much more of a chance even if we do. AFB Tom Walker are three weeks away.

This is not a 26 round comp. Six rounds to go after this week.Lose on Sunday and we are cooked.
We've been cooked since Tom and Walker went down , no decent no.9 and AFB decided to lose his sh*t. Everyone knows we're just making up the numbers now. Attack our flanks and tries will flow. Wonder how Des will explain another 30+ hiding this weekend while this place burns to the ground.

In 3 weeks we will be saying - Too late Tommy!

NYEagle
Would not suprise me round in last 3 rounds or so we just have one of those matches with close to a full strength squad and we go and have a big win by 30.

it will be our our “ what could of been in 2020 reminder” plus as you say too little too late.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4