Trent: I helped build Manly's revival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Why Trent Barrett deserves some credit for Manly’s revival under Des Hasler
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
37 minutes ago

Subscriber only
Who’s in, who’s out for Round 21?
Trent Barrett insists he has no regrets about walking out on the Manly Sea Eagles and handing over a potential premiership-winning side to Des Hasler.

Instead, he looks back with enormous pride on the roster he assembled over three years at Brookvale, including several misfits who were unwanted elsewhere.

“I’d actually like to think I left them well-educated,” Barrett said in his first interview since his employment at the Sea Eagles was officially terminated two weeks ago.

“A few of the boys I got there like Siro (Curtis Sironen) were coming out of reserve grade.

“No one else wanted Moses Suli. He’d been punted by the Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs.

MORE IN sport
0c80c9736c5e9e3468ccf010cbfe872c

Hansen to roll out strongest All Blacks side against Wallabies
Hansen to roll out strongest All Blacks side against Wallabies

9c1bb51dfac9343df890ef4b3f870e70

Rabbitohs sick of ‘selfish’ Sam
Rabbitohs sick of ‘selfish’ Sam

similars

“Tommy Turbo had only played five games when I started.

Live stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial.

9f2aa5187cb50c8444e7d177942f73f7

Barrett coached Manly in 2017-18.
“I’ve really loved seeing all these guys kick on this year.”

There was also Addin Fonua-Blake, who was sacked by St George Illawarra and took a year off before Barrett threw him a lifeline at the Sea Eagles on a train-and-trial contract. He is now among the top front-rowers in the competition.

It was only after Barrett’s protest about poor facilities last year that Manly finally did something about improving their training conditions with the announcement of a new $36 million centre of excellence academy at Brookvale.

“There are definitely no regrets,” Barrett said. “I knew we had a good team there.

“In 2017 we were sitting in the same position in fifth place. Then last year was a write-off with all the off-field **** but that happens.

0768a55f82501893cc41b44e949facd8

Barrett was sacked last year. Picture by Phil Hillyard.
“I’ve been sitting back enjoying watching them and they’re a real dark horse.

“If they can keep going, who knows how far they’ll go. Canberra are a bit the same. They can upset anyone on their day.”

The great Jack Gibson used to credit coaches for the condition they left clubs in as much as their premiership records.

Compare how Barrett left Manly to how Wayne Bennett left the Newcastle Knights.

“I’m really happy for them,” Barrett said. “I certainly haven’t been death-riding them.

“I’m still close to a lot of the boys and stay in touch with them. If they can stay healthy for another six weeks, they could do anything.”

13b48cc1c62548040b952042b438c81f

Manly have hit top form again under Hasler. Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.
In the meantime, he is sitting back and waiting for another opportunity.

Barrett has ruled out moving to England because his daughter is about to start the HSC.

There has been talk he would join his great mate Paul McGregor at St George Illawarra.

“I’d like another head coaching role but timing is everything,” he said.

“They don’t come along very often. I’ll bide my time and if I have to go back to an assistant’s role that will be OK. The main thing is you’ve got to be working and you’ve got to be involved in the game.”

It’s just another bs narrative being spun by Rothtoss. I’m sure he will push this tripe on 360 tonite gradually getting louder until he’ll eventually attribute all our success this year to Trent. It really is comical. Whether Trent bought in some of those players or not, they could have just as easily ended up on the scrap heap of nrl has beens. Des has turned these players into winners with a team first focus and individual accountability.

Why Trent Barrett deserves some credit for Manly’s revival under Des Hasler
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
37 minutes ago

Subscriber only
Who’s in, who’s out for Round 21?

“There are definitely no regrets,” Barrett said. “I knew we had a good team there.

In the meantime, he is sitting back and waiting for another opportunity.

.”
Gees man .... we finished 2nd last under your coaching.

"""""""he looks back with enormous pride on the roster he assembled over three years at Brookvale, including several misfits who were unwanted elsewhere.

“I’d actually like to think I left them well-educated,” Barrett said""""""

Does News Limited allow Journalists to drink on the job ???

Let us put things in perspective .....

Trent rode that roster down to the ground and wooden spoon bound and he calls that an education to his players .

Trent quit the club with enormous pride after leaving it in its worst state in its proud history .

Trent also says NRL coaching gigs are hard to come by yet he resigned from an opportunity in a life time .

No one should drink on the job . Not even Journalists

index.jpg

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6