Trbojevics eye own brotherly era at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
They were the original Prince and Gift of Brookvale for a decade, but statistics show Jake and Tom Trbojevic are on track to emulate the feats of Brett and Glenn Stewart.

The similarities between the two sets of Manly brothers are uncanny. Both include a lightning-fast fullback and skilful lock. Both have telepathic-like understanding in attack, and are vitally safe in defence.

As the Trbojevics prepare for their first finals match against Penrith on Saturday, numbers from Fox Sport Stats show just how quickly they're escaping the shadow of the Stewarts.

Tom will turn 21 next month, and already has 30 tries to his name - the exact same amount Brett did on his 21st birthday.

A more reliable body has allowed Tom to play an extra 12 games than Brett, but he already averages more linebreaks, metres and tackle busts per game.
Close to the line, he's even more dangerous with 35 try-assists to Brett's five at the same age.

Stewart's playmaking ability developed to the point where it became his strongest bow late in his career, but Tom says he learned much of his attacking prowess from his predecessor.

"He's probably one of the best No.1s to play this game," Trbojevic said.

"Watching him, the way he talked, the way he was always there. He was always pushing up through the middle, every opportunity he got he took it.

"I got to play alongside him and train with him. I saw it first-hand."

It was fitting that as Brett Stewart watched his first Manly game of the year live on Saturday, Trbojevic produced one of the best games of his career against Penrith.

He scored once, had a hand in two others, and ran a career-high 232 metres with 10 tackle busts.

Trbojevic has made Manly's No.1 jersey for the new era his own, but admitted in hindsight the challenge of taking over from Stewart's mantle had been difficult.

"When you look at the big picture it's very hard to follow a player like Brett Stewart," he said.

"If I get to do half the things he's done in the game I'll be very happy."

Up front, Jake will turn 24 this summer, and has already played an extra 23 games than Glenn did before the same birthday.

At the same age, Glenn was slightly more crafty - averaging more try and line-break assists. Meanwhile Jake averages more metres and tackles than Glenn at 23.

The Stewarts, of course, won two premierships in their 12 and 14-year careers at Manly.

But Jake and Tom's first big chance to start their era of success will come this weekend.

"It's exciting," Jake said.

"I just really enjoy playing alongside my brother and all my other teammates.

"We've got a really great squad and everyone gets along really well.

"Now we've got an opportunity to play in the finals, it's really exciting."

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/06/09/01/trbojevics-eye-own-brotherly-era-at-manly

It's looking promising. These boys, DcE, and korisau in the spine. Hopefully we can hold on to them all and snag an extra outside back for depth. A worthy replacement for Lawrence too!

God willing both of the Turbos will be 300 gamers for us. A new decade of dominance awaits

Tom T may have better attacking stats than Snake at the same age.
But he makes far more errors and his D and positional play in D is nowhere near as good as the Prince of Brookvale.
I am sure he will improve on this. Hopefully a LOT over the next month.

Very glad we have the brothers thou.

These 2 are building to be something special in Manly History. Its crazy to think the Stewarts retire and we get the Turbos.

One difference I note is that guys like Snake modernised the full back role into a playmaker. Tom would have trained in his young days as a Playmaking Fullback. I wonder if Tom was around when snakes started, if he would have been made a centre instead.

Tom is alot better for it I think, already 35 try assists for a guy who has played a couple of seasons.

I'm wondering how long it will be before Turbo3 comes into the picture for this brotherly era.

How does the younger Trbojevic go? If he's as good as his brothers we could add another to the top grade soon.

The Prince's defence was was set him apart from other fullbacks. I want to see Tom emulate that too. But seriously, how lucky are we to have these 2.
If he can learn to organise the defence like Snake did, Tom will over-take all other fullbacks and become the greatest of all time.

Disclaimer: The above statement assumes an injury free career, with a year on year reduction in errors and intercept passes. Should these assumptions prove to be incorrect, pjayz is exempt from all ridicule, "I told you so" comments and general sledging. Furthermore, pjayz's reputation as an insightful, intelligent and somewhat handsome poster is to remain intact and untarnished.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6