TPAs and NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
25591F1F-4737-4603-9F93-073AD13C9207.jpeg
very interesting see below

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/1400bef2379f2b495cd3779180cee006

NRL to make backroom deals transparent by revealing how much clubs make from third-party deals
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
December 13, 2018 9:23pm
Subscriber only

The NRL will attempt to clean up the scourge of third-party deals by coming clean for the first time with how much all 16 clubs receive from outside sponsors.

The unprecedented overhaul designed to stop salary cap rorting also includes the induction of a new contract system which will require the NRL to receive every formal offer that is made to a player.

The decision which was rubber-stamped by club CEOs in Sydney comes in the wake of three brand-damaging salary cap investigations in as many years involving Parramatta, Manly and currently Cronulla.

“What we’ve tried to do is to put in more checks and balances to help identify any noncompliance with the rules,’’ NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

“What it also does is it’s going to require clubs, agents and players to jump through more hoops before they register a third-party agreement or signed playing contracts.

“For the first time I think fans, clubs and others will be able to see exactly the volume of third-party agreements that exist in the game and we think that’s a good thing.

“One of the challenges we’ve seen is some misconceptions in the game about the volume with TPAs which has caused some clubs to make bad decisions around the salary cap rules.’’

The NRL welcomes third-party agreements as long as the sponsor is not affiliated with the club.

There is also no limit on how many third-party deals a club can register with the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph obtained a first look of the 2018 and 2017 third-party values of every club, which will be made public today.

The figures make for interesting and surprising reading.

Of no great shock is both Melbourne and Brisbane dominate the largest portion of third-party deals.

Their lure as a one-team, one-town franchise and their elite star power are both major factors in their ability to attract just over $1 million in third-party deals for the Storm and just under $800,000 for the Broncos in 2018.

Conversely, the Eels — who were bereft of superstar talent last season, managed around $50,000 in TPA’s.

The Warriors inability to boast just over $200,000 additional financial interest in their players despite their vast geographical location is a concern with just over $200,000 in TPAs recorded for 2018.

In 2018, a total of $4.2 million in additional payments were paid to 94 players across 205 different agreements.

TPA deals for players are far-reaching and can be as simple as a boot, headgear or car sponsor to major commercial or corporate meet and greet appearances and work, for a particular business.

“We think being able to understand the proper picture will help clubs, players and agents,’’ Weeks said.

“I think the data we have illustrates clearly that the volume of third-party that exists across the game aren’t as great as some people believe.

“This has been an area that created a lot of attention among fans, among the media and a lot of debate around it is inaccurate.

“So we think that by providing more transparency and accurate information, it will take some of the heat out of the debate and that will only improve our compliance with the salary cap rules.’’

Weeks said the NRL had not contemplated making the full salary of players public, like in the NFL.

But he said a new contract registering system would allow the game to monitor any questionable deal that sees a player sign with a club for a significantly less amount that what he was offered by a rival club.

For example only, if Damien Cook had re-signed at Souths for $600,000 a season when the Broncos had offered $1 million.

“The system will require agents and clubs to lodge (the offer) with the NRL when an offer is made,’’ Weeks said.

“At the moment we don’t see anything until a contract is lodged.

“What we’ll see is competing offers that are made to the player before he makes his decision.

“We think it’s just another tool in our armoury to help us monitor what is going on with contracting activities.

“To the extent that there are some contracts that are done which are unusual in terms of players accepting offers less than other clubs are offering.

“It will allow us to see that.’’

Last edited:
I didn't think clubs made any money from third party deals. It goes to the player. If so, nice reporting knuckleheads.

Most of us would probably welcome a more transparent system (the players? not so much...?) but it doesn't help anyone when the nrl signs off on 3rd party deals then months later decide they are all illegal, or they change their definition of a word or phrase.

I'm happy for the nrl to look for genuine solutions, I don't know how this is going to stop the 100k golf putt bets or the very cheap units.

How will the Roosters go with this, everyone there goes for the love and signs contracts at 50-75% of what they are offered elsewhere.

I think they should cap the tpas at 250k. Melbourne getting an extra 1 million is ludicrous! How is that fair? No point having a salary cap.

Like to see how much manly received last year compared to roosters (who were reluctant to make public their figures last time)

Last edited:
This will achieve nothing for two reasons. Firstly one city clubs or clubs in the centre of business districts have an unfair advantage over teams more on the fringes. No equity there. Secondly, there is no way to know how a sponsor has chosen (or been canvassed which is more likely), when such arrangements can be done by word of mouth and deals between business people that seem unrelated to the game or clubs. Clever clubs have already covered this angle. The most obvious question to be asked is how does a sponsor know that a club wants to bring in a player to the club. Is it telepathy or something? You cant tell me that player managers know all the potential sponsors, and if they did wouldn't that be discriminatory dealings in favour of certain clubs the managers want the player to go to. Or is it believed that the players canvass the TPA...ho ho ho. For example Brisbane wants Player A and offers a certain amount from the salary cap. Penrith offer the same amount. Brisbane manages to get a sizable TPA and snares the player. How did the TPA sponsor know Brisbane was after the player so they could offer the TPA unless someone at the club canvassed them. Its a joke.

In the end why would clubs like donkeys and storm care if their players secure the most TPAs. Theyre not going to ask players to dial back. BHP doesn't slow down mining because their earning more money than a competitor.

The only thing it might do is show the fair weather supporter that someones roster relative to their TPAs looks suspect. Whether that actually changes club behaviour, I doubt it.

It's only effective if the public pressure the club's they think are dodgy. The NRL already know these values and do nothing as it is.

The contract monitoring system in essence sounds like a decent idea. Again the NRL isn't going to be told about the 10K golf bets.

Last edited:
It will never be fair, the well connected clubs are going to prosper and the also rans will make up the numbers.

For example what the Roosters are doing is just blatant Rorting, and Greenslime and co just turn a blind eye.

Ultimately I can see a Super League, less clubs not more, should make it fairer $$$$ wise.

Perth
Melbourne
Brisbane x 2
Canberra
FNQ
Newcastle
New Zealand
Sydney x 4

Only one way you can handle Sydney ( purely in a corporate sense not a moral one).

How you get to 4 in Sydney, wether through mergers or brand new franchises would have to be decided.

12 clubs , all play each other twice .

Only one SOO match played on a stand alone weekend. One year in NSW, next year in QLD, next year neutral venue.

The unprecedented overhaul designed to stop salary cap rorting also includes the induction of a new contract system which will require the NRL to receive every formal offer that is made to a player.

Which imbecile at the NRL in his wildest chemical induced coma thinks that this will have any effect whatsoever ..... "formal offer" ..... so now managers will simply conduct converstaions with words like .. "suppose we could arrange x amount" .... or " I'm not saying this amount is final but IF we could arrange say y amount" ..... no formal offer .... no need to report ...

Bloody drongos .....

Screenshot_20181213-212526_League Live.jpg
I think they should cap the tpas at 500k. Melbourne getting an extra 1 million is ludicrous! How is that fair? No point having a salary cap.

Like to see how much manly received last year compared to roosters (who were reluctant to make public their figures last time)
Apparently we were around the $200000 mark

It will never be fair, the well connected clubs are going to prosper and the also rans will make up the numbers.

For example what the Roosters are doing is just blatant Rorting, and Greenslime and co just turn a blind eye.

Ultimately I can see a Super League, less clubs not more, should make it fairer $$$$ wise.

Perth
Melbourne
Brisbane x 2
Canberra
FNQ
Newcastle
New Zealand
Sydney x 4

Only one way you can handle Sydney ( purely in a corporate sense not a moral one).

How you get to 4 in Sydney, wether through mergers or brand new franchises would have to be decided.

12 clubs , all play each other twice .

Only one SOO match played on a stand alone weekend. One year in NSW, next year in QLD, next year neutral venue.

Murdock tried this and left League in a shambles for almost 2 decades. As has been pointed out so many times in the past, League is a tribal game, a grass roots affair. Reduce the club participation and you reduce the watching audience.

I can't believe how stupid the NRL think the general public are. They think bull**** window dressing is going to sweep this problem under the carpet. Fix it properly or don't both insulting our intelligence!

Murdock tried this and left League in a shambles for almost 2 decades. As has been pointed out so many times in the past, League is a tribal game, a grass roots affair. Reduce the club participation and you reduce the watching audience.
Yeah I certainly get that but how do you make it fairer when we have the “ have nots “ and the “ haves”.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4