Tour de France

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Garts

First Grader
I am not a massive cycling fan but I have got right into this tour. I will watch a Aussie do well anything and if Cadel can win this it will be massive. I cannot think of a harder sporting event in the world. These guys are amazing to do what they do day in day out for 3 weeks. Is anyone else getting behind Cadel?

That weas an amazing stage 19 to Alpe-d’Huez.
So many sections where so many riders really worked hard.

Cadel's massive effort to lead the 3rd group up that long climb, without much help was just amazing. And I had a feeling he would try and pop out with only 1 or 2 kms to go to the very end - whilst I hoped he might break away again well then I knew it would be just about impossible after such a day, he did well just to cross the line a few metres ahead of the Schlecks etc. in 5th as it was.
And Contador's effort was also amazing - at almost 4 mins off the overall lead still though, surely he can't make that up from here.
It was great to see France's Pierre Rolland take the stage win, and geez he put in a big effort to do so too!

Lookin' forward to tonight's stage 20 Grenoble time trial - will Andy Schleck lay the smack down and take the tour win, or will Frank Schleck pull out the ride of his life for a claim, or will Cadel prove the better of the 2 brothers by around a minute or more for the win?

GO Cadel!

---

Oh, another thread in the General discussion that would be better in an "Other Sports" section..

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-More-Off-Season-Sports-Sub-Sections

Awesome ride in Stage 19 and topped off with a massive TT tonight. Well done Cadel, great stuff.

Where is Clontaago? First his poster boy Green gets whipped by a man of colour. Now his whipping boy tops off his World Championship win with a yellow jersey.

Not even a whisper of Contador and clenbuterol during the many hours of the tour I watched. Only glowing praise of him. Presumed to be innocent because the Spanish cycling authorities totally cleared him when he said, without any proof, he must've eaten some infected meat before testing positive twice during last year's Tour. The appeal on his case was delayed until after the Tour, in August. He has a colourful history from a drugs perspective.

And earlier, when he had ensured his win in the 2009 Tour he was asked:

"Can you assure us that you've never taken any banned performance-enhancing products, nor used any banned methods, and can you take this opportunity to make a strong statement for clean cycling?"

Contador replied: "I'm available 365 days a year, which is something I accept with good grace for the sport I love. I will continue to have this attitude."

A tad different to Brett Stewart, where the Aussie media and NRL treated him as guilty based on nothing of real substance or real credibility.

Phil Ligget mentioned it a few times Rex actually.

but you are right in that he wasnt hung drawn and quartered by all and sundry

Those last three stages were awesome. I struggle to think of a greater individual sporting achievement by an Australian than winning this. He's been an absolute cleanskin as far as the roids go too.

Massive achievement

not sure if it is the greatest of all time but it has to be up there

Fro said:
Phil Ligget mentioned it a few times Rex actually.

but you are right in that he wasnt hung drawn and quartered by all and sundry

Thanks Fro.

"Disgraced cyclist Alberto Contadour is 1 minute 32 seconds behind"?

"Alleged drug cheat Alberto Contadour is now 2 minutes 13 seconds behind"?

"How disgraceful. Those Spanish fans should hang their head in shame for cheering for Alberto Contadour."

That sort of thing?

I think everyone is waiting for the Court of Arbitration to do the right thing with Contador. Schleck will not be a 3 time runner up for much longer.

Rex i was agreeing with you you idiot.

and i know exactly what you were getting at in the parallels with Brett Stewart.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7