Tough start to Matty Ballins coaching career

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Smokin Joe

Bencher
40-0 today and game not yet over.5 games and a for and against of 46-218(avg score of losing 44-9 roughly),I think he is looking forward to the Ball guys coming through in the near future.In saying that...there is more talent in that Flegg side than is being displayed,hoping Matty can turn it around.

Sounds like the issues are far greater than the coach .... a coach makes a difference... but not that much.

Oostendorp-Powers and captain Ott have been unavailable all year and Titmuss not playing today has not helped,but that is part of coaching....

Sounds like the issues are far greater than the coach .... a coach makes a difference... but not that much.
Depends if they have a game plan I guess.....but who knows,they didn't really recruit much for this side.Just went with what they had and a few guys making the jump from Ball side from last year....And they did lose a few to being too old to play this year etc....

Game plans are greatly over-rated ...... they all start with tackle .... and finish with run Forrest run ..... still need the players to implement them ....

Game plans are greatly over-rated ...... they all start with tackle .... and finish with run Forrest run ..... still need the players to implement them ....
True,but defence is a lot poorer in this comp and we have only been averaging scoring 9 points a game in a point scoring free for all comp.As I said I hope Matty turns it around,but remember this is Manly,there are no excuses Woodsie.....I am sure having Schuster and a few others will be a help too.Maybe they factored that into their calculations...There is some talent in this side,a little like our top side to some people,some good forwards but a little light in outside backs...

40-0 today and game not yet over.5 games and a for and against of 46-218(avg score of losing 44-9 roughly),I think he is looking forward to the Ball guys coming through in the near future.In saying that...there is more talent in that Flegg side than is being displayed,hoping Matty can turn it around.
I said he was a **** coach weeks a go he got the job on being a manly man, the problem is he has done nothing to suggest he should have got the job as a coach.
No problem with him involved in the fitness but as a coach he makes Barrett look like Bennett. I'm sure we will hear the usual excuses.

I said he was a **** coach weeks a go he got the job on being a manly man, the problem is he has done nothing to suggest he should have got the job as a coach.
No problem with him involved in the fitness but as a coach he makes Barrett look like Bennett. I'm sure we will hear the usual excuses.
I got the feeling he is getting his resume beefed up to work further with the NRL side in the future(on the fitness side).I think(no real info)that he is keeping the job warm for Brett Fulton for next year....

As a follower of lower grades, our flegg team is really stacked poorly with quality. Obviously no money spent there. It is a weak team so like Bozo once said, it's the cattle you have.

As a follower of lower grades, our flegg team is really stacked poorly with quality. Obviously no money spent there. It is a weak team so like Bozo once said, it's the cattle you have.
I can't understand it. Two seasons ago we won the Under 20s, which is the age group of the Flegg.
Last season we won the Under 16s and made the finals this year.
Our Under 18s have a good chance of winning the comp.
I just can't understand why our Under 20s are so poor this year when all the junior talent around the club is so high.

I think it is just a cycle to an extent,a lot of guys graduated from last year and are no longer available and so there are a few young guys from last years Ball side and some average recruitment.The Ball side next year may suffer the same fate when a whole bunch of them are playing Flegg(could be a good Flegg side next year).There is some talent going into the year though..If I had Fenn,Titmuss,Tepu-Smith,Ott,Sykes and Vaivelata in my forwards I would be expecting better.Weatherall and Wichmann are a pretty decent halves pairing and with that nucleus the side should at least be competing a bit more.The backs are light and have zero real recruitment,Lehmann,O-Powers and Podesta are good but the talent level is thin and with injuries/unavailabilty for a couple of guys does not help...But yes,I have seen deeper and more talented squads...

I can't understand it. Two seasons ago we won the Under 20s, which is the age group of the Flegg.
I just can't understand why our Under 20s are so poor this year when all the junior talent around the club is so high.
I am not having a go at you as I do like your passion,but sometimes you confuse me....you question our Blacktown connection but then don't like us having one weak junior side?We get a large chunk of our junior sides from out west and that is why they have been going so well,we are notorious in the past for having crap junior sides with only 1 or 2 good players in a side and now we have a good regular supply of talent coming through that we badly need to survive...The reason why the Flegg side is suffering this year has potentially many reasons,I still think there are guys that we will hear more about in future years,Titmuss,Fenn,Ott,Vaivelata,Sykes,Lehmann(3 are local juniors)but we lost so many guys from last years side that are not eligible to play and unless we do a Rooters and go out and try to recruit guys everywhere for a good Flegg year,we have to accept that this years side will be full of guys a year younger than many of the opposition sides they play.Many sides will have guys who are 20 years old,our side has only a few and most of ours were playing Ball last year so they are younger than their opposition.Next year is when we may have a very good Flegg side when our crack players from our Ball side get blooded for the rest of this year and are ready for next year.The reverse side of that is next years Ball side may not be so strong as only a handful of the Matthews side may end up moving upwards into the Ball side and struggle to replace the many guys leaving the Ball side.Ying and Yang/Snakes and Ladders with junior sides....I am hoping that this side will get better through more experience playing this year and getting an infusion from the Ball side when it ends in a week or 2.

As Mike Tyson once said “ everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face”.
Hope Matty can have a win soon.

We got the spoon for Holden Cup in 2016 and then won the competition in 2017 with the same coach. I would not be too worried.

Our SG Ball side is currently stacked with talent and a lot of those players will graduate to Jersey Flegg later this year.

I would also suggest that the junior leagues are not great indicators of who will be successful as future NRL coaches.

We got the spoon for Holden Cup in 2016 and then won the competition in 2017 with the same coach. I would not be too worried.

Our SG Ball side is currently stacked with talent and a lot of those players will graduate to Jersey Flegg later this year.

I would also suggest that the junior leagues are not great indicators of who will be successful as future NRL coaches.
No we didn’t - two different coaches. Lamb kin won in his first year.

No we didn’t - two different coaches. Lamb kin won in his first year.
Aplogies, you're right... David Heath was coach in 2015 when we made the GF, Chad Randall was coach in 2016 and Wayne Lambkin when we won in 2017.

Last edited:
Aplogies, you're right... David Heath was coach in 2015 when we made the GF, Chad Randall was coach in 2016 and Wayne Lambkin when we won in 2017.
No worries Ranger. You are right though, things can turn around quickly. They should stick with Ballin and invest in his development. He is worth it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6