Toronto Wolfpack: Out for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's the million pound game time!

Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers.
The Red of Toronto take on the Blue of Featherstone in today’s million pound game. The prize being promotion to the top tier, Super League!

Toronto Wolfpack have only had to beat Toulouse and are rested and ready while underdogs Featherstone (a team containing some part timers it must be said) have had to win 3 away games against tough competition just to get into the grand final. But they are now battle hardened and raring to go.

It’s a sunny day and about 15 degrees in Toronto. Lamport Stadium is full with 9974 fans meaning it’s the first sell-out game the Wolfpack has had.

Commentators and amateurs alike are seeing this game going along in one of three ways:

1) A Toronto onslaught (which I doubt, but would be happy with),
2) A close match but Toronto kicks away in the final quarter due to the fitness of the professional team (which is what I think), or
3) A Featherstone win. (which is nightmare inducing for me).

Ist Half:

Toronto (Tor) kicks off and Featherstone (Fev) reply with good hard running by the forwards taking them 90 metres.

Toronto goes wide (predictably) on their first set but travel 80 to 90 metres as well.

Some big defence by Toronto contains the Featherstone Rovers one out hit ups.

Toronto have lightning fast play the balls and the question is can Featherstone keep matching this pace all game?

5th min: Fev knock on. The first mistake of the game and Tor get a scrum 35 metres out. Fev defend well but knock the ball on again when Tor were executing their 5th tackle move. Another set for Toronto. More great Fev defence holds Tor at bay on the try line. They defuse the Wolfpack’s bomb and march 95 metres upfield then unfortunately for them, they knock the ball on trying to regather their own 5th tackle kick.

11th min: Early 3rd tackle kick by Fev just to slow this fast paced game down and give their forwards a breather. Featherstone forward, Ja
ck Bussey is already having a very good game. Big runs, big tackles, and big metres so far.

Toronto run the ball on the 5th tackle at the end of their next two sets but Fev hold firm.

18th min: Featherstone doing a lot of good defending. Toronto making the metres but can’t finish Fev off. Also, there’s been no penalties so far!

21st min: Spoke too soon. Penalty (to) Tor. After a play with about 15 passes and side to side movement from Toronto, Fev holds down the tackled Tor player far too long. D’oh! Toronto return the favour by obstructing the defence on the first tackle. A let off for Fev there.

23rd min: Lussick on. That’s all.

24th min: Scrum Fev. A bit dodgy by the ref there. In this game of fast play the balls, the ref has said the Tor player didn’t return to his feet to play the ball. Hard done by.

25th min: Tor fullback O’Brien catches the ball with one foot firmly in the in goal but refs says no, he jumped back there. What is going on here ref wise?

26th min: Knock on Tor.

27th min: A Fev obstruction is let go by the ref and then another 50-50 goes Fev’s way. What’s the ref doing here?

28th min: TV coverage fails. Looking at the nice black screen.

29th min: Try Featherstone! Coverage returns with a try already scored in the left hand side corner so I know nothing about it. A nice conversion follows and it is Tor 0-6 Fev. So that’s what’s going on ref wise.

30th min: Tor get a scrum. Normality has returned after 2 dodgy calls, and one dodgy no call leading to a Fev try. #maybebiased.

32nd min: Try Toronto! Josh McCrone barges over from 5 metres out and next to the right hand upright.
O’Brien misses an easy conversion – Damn it Gaz. (I had already written converted in my notes it was that easy) and the score is now: Tor 4-6 Fev.

35th min: Sky sports have sorted their feed out and now we have picture and commentary back.

39th min: Tor have made a few bad 5th tackle options and this one was no different- Caught again with the ball.

Half Time:

Toronto 4 – 6 Featherstone.

Well,well,well. That’s the first time Toronto have been behind at half time during a home game all season. Everyone knew Featherstone were coming to play, and play they have. For mine, there’s been far too much moving the ball wide by Toronto and not enough up the middle hard yards. When they have been going up the middle,they are making good yardage.

I won’t say I’m nervous (yet) but Toronto really need to sort themselves out, be patient, and get stuck into the hard stuff. They seem to be playing better than Featherstone and that’s the strange thing about it.

Second Half:

41st min: After going 95 metres, Toronto knock on, on the fifth tackle. A basic dropped ball from McCrone. Sheesh.

42nd min: Pen Fev. During Toronto’s first set in the second half, the ref let a Fev player lay all over the tackled Tor player and no penalty was given. OK, let’s be consistent then? Nope. Toronto penalised for laying too long in the tackle. Sigh – ref’s should not use these games as nrl job interviews!

44th min: Pen Fev. Obstruction by Toronto (fair enough).

45th min: Good Toronto defence bundles the Fev player into touch.

46th min: Pen Toronto. Finally! A high shot left the ref with no choice there.

47th min: O’Brien held up over the goal line, on a 5th tackle, damn it.

49th min: Toronto has the ball back and knock on during the play the ball, double damn it.

55th min: Pen Tor: An attacking penalty against Fev for shoving the marker. Meh, could have let that one go.

56th min: Scrum Tor: Fev knock the ball on trying to intercept it. Scrum 15 metres out from Fev’s goal line.

57th min: Try Toronto! First receiver Wallace barges over first tackle from the scrum. An easy conversion by O’Brien. Toronto take the lead! Tor 10-6 Fev.

59th min: Wallace held up over the line on the 5th tackle (a repeat set would be nice too).

We’re into the final quarter now. Will the predicted Toronto kick on eventuate?

61st min: Pen Tor. High shot by Fev.

62nd min: Try Toronto! Bodene Thompson strolls over a smaller Featherstone player and plants the ball next to the left hand side upright. The try is converted. Tor 16-6 Fev.

63rd min: Scrum Fev. Toronto knock on from the kick off when Featherstone absolutely drilled the ball at Leutele who promptly drops it. Smart tactic.

65th min: The games first drop out is forced by Fev.

67th min: Great goal line defence by Toronto, mirroring Featherstone’s in the first half. But Toronto knock the ball on in another bad play the ball. Fev get the scrum 40 metres out.

Again Toronto’s defence hold as Fev player King gets held up over the line. Toronto forward, Wilkins lets him know about it and King lands a right cross slap/hit to his face as a response. Wilkins doesn’t react and I guess punches / hits aren’t automatically 10 in the bin in this league.

70th min: Try Toronto! And that’s why you don’t react to slaps people. Sometimes it’s tougher not to react says the commentator as Wilkins is instrumental in this try. Toronto go 100 metres and Mellor steps and breaks the tackles of five Featherstone defenders before going over to score... and tackling the referee for good measure and bonus points. Try is converted by the new kicker Wallace. Tor 22-6 Fev.

74th min: Lol Toronto try to play the ball, Featherstone kick it away before it can even be rolled between the legs but the ref says everything is ok for a Fev scrum. (wow).

There’s some frustration understandably creeping into the Featherstone play as Toronto have one hand on the trophy. Will anything boil over?

78th min: Pen Tor, so yes. A Fev player back chats a bit too much and Toronto kick for goal. If it were up to me I’d let retiring champ Ashton Sims take the kick but it’s all business as Wallace slots it over. Tor 24-6 Fev.

80th min: Pen Tor and the ref demands it is taken even though players are walking around shaking hands. McCrone eventually boots it out and that's it.

Final score:
Toronto 24 - 6 Featherstone.

THE TORONTO WOLFPACK ARE PROMOTED TO SUPER LEAGUE!!!!

Woohoo! What an end to a 3 year journey and now the next stage begins. All credit to the Featherstone rovers. What a valiant and amazing effort to not only make the final but even to be leading a team of highly trained full time professional athletes at half time. Well done.

The Wolfpack were a bit nervous in the first half but were able to compose themselves and score three tries in 12 minutes during that all important last quarter.

The commentators (including ex Knights winger, Brian Carney) have just said how terrible it is for the SL bosses to deny any prize money to Toronto. They are going to take it all and re-distribute it evenly to the 11 other SL teams. The reason? It seems to be that no one knows how long expansion teams will last so they won’t give money to help them in case the club falls over. Backward thinking at its best. “You’re new and have earned your place but any money that would be helpful, is going to go to established teams” What a total crock of poop. Maybe one day we’ll get 3 teams in Canada, and 4 to 6 teams in America and we can return the favour as we take over SL!

That said, one more woohoo! And a huge sense of relief.

Thanks for reading. :)

The Red of Toronto take on the Blue of Featherstone in today’s million pound game. The prize being promotion to the top tier, Super League!

Toronto Wolfpack have only had to beat Toulouse and are rested and ready while underdogs Featherstone (a team containing some part timers it must be said) have had to win 3 away games against tough competition just to get into the grand final. But they are now battle hardened and raring to go.

It’s a sunny day and about 15 degrees in Toronto. Lamport Stadium is full with 9974 fans meaning it’s the first sell-out game the Wolfpack has had.

Commentators and amateurs alike are seeing this game going along in one of three ways:

2) A close match but Toronto kicks away in the final quarter due to the fitness of the professional team (which is what I think), or

Ist Half:

Toronto (Tor) kicks off and Featherstone (Fev) reply with good hard running by the forwards taking them 90 metres.

Toronto goes wide (predictably) on their first set but travel 80 to 90 metres as well.

Toronto have lightning fast play the balls and the question is can Featherstone keep matching this pace all game?

5th min: Fev knock on. The first mistake of the game and Tor get a scrum 35 metres out. Fev defend well but knock the ball on again when Tor were executing their 5th tackle move. Another set for Toronto. More great Fev defence holds Tor at bay on the try line. They defuse the Wolfpack’s bomb and march 95 metres upfield then unfortunately for them, they knock the ball on trying to regather their own 5th tackle kick.

11th min: Early 3rd tackle kick by Fev just to slow this fast paced game down and give their forwards a breather. Featherstone forward, Ja
ck Bussey is already having a very good game. Big runs, big tackles, and big metres so far.

Toronto run the ball on the 5th tackle at the end of their next two sets but Fev hold firm.

18th min: Featherstone doing a lot of good defending. Toronto making the metres but can’t finish Fev off. Also, there’s been no penalties so far!

21st min: Spoke too soon. Penalty (to) Tor. After a play with about 15 passes and side to side movement from Toronto, Fev holds down the tackled Tor player far too long. D’oh! Toronto return the favour by obstructing the defence on the first tackle. A let off for Fev there.

24th min: Scrum Fev. A bit dodgy by the ref there. In this game of fast play the balls, the ref has said the Tor player didn’t return to his feet to play the ball. Hard done by.

25th min: Tor fullback O’Brien catches the ball with one foot firmly in the in goal but refs says no, he jumped back there. What is going on here ref wise?

27th min: A Fev obstruction is let go by the ref and then another 50-50 goes Fev’s way. What’s the ref doing here?

29th min: Try Featherstone! Coverage returns with a try already scored in the left hand side corner so I know nothing about it. A nice conversion follows and it is Tor 0-6 Fev. So that’s what’s going on ref wise.

30th min: Tor get a scrum. Normality has returned after 2 dodgy calls, and one dodgy no call leading to a Fev try. #maybebiased.

32nd min: Try Toronto! Josh McCrone barges over from 5 metres out and next to the right hand upright.
O’Brien misses an easy conversion – Damn it Gaz. (I had already written converted in my notes it was that easy) and the score is now: Tor 4-6 Fev.

35th min: Sky sports have sorted their feed out and now we have picture and commentary back.

39th min: Tor have made a few bad 5th tackle options and this one was no different- Caught again with the ball.

Half Time:

Well,well,well. That’s the first time Toronto have been behind at half time during a home game all season. Everyone knew Featherstone were coming to play, and play they have. For mine, there’s been far too much moving the ball wide by Toronto and not enough up the middle hard yards. When they have been going up the middle,they are making good yardage.

I won’t say I’m nervous (yet) but Toronto really need to sort themselves out, be patient, and get stuck into the hard stuff. They seem to be playing better than Featherstone and that’s the strange thing about it.

Second Half:

41st min: After going 95 metres, Toronto knock on, on the fifth tackle. A basic dropped ball from McCrone. Sheesh.

42nd min: Pen Fev. During Toronto’s first set in the second half, the ref let a Fev player lay all over the tackled Tor player and no penalty was given. OK, let’s be consistent then? Nope. Toronto penalised for laying too long in the tackle. Sigh – ref’s should not use these games as nrl job interviews!

49th min: Toronto has the ball back and knock on during the play the ball, double damn it.

55th min: Pen Tor: An attacking penalty against Fev for shoving the marker. Meh, could have let that one go.

56th min: Scrum Tor: Fev knock the ball on trying to intercept it. Scrum 15 metres out from Fev’s goal line.

57th min: Try Toronto! First receiver Wallace barges over first tackle from the scrum. An easy conversion by O’Brien. Toronto take the lead! Tor 10-6 Fev.

59th min: Wallace held up over the line on the 5th tackle (a repeat set would be nice too).

62nd min: Try Toronto! Bodene Thompson strolls over a smaller Featherstone player and plants the ball next to the left hand side upright. The try is converted. Tor 16-6 Fev.

63rd min: Scrum Fev. Toronto knock on from the kick off when Featherstone absolutely drilled the ball at Leutele who promptly drops it. Smart tactic.

67th min: Great goal line defence by Toronto, mirroring Featherstone’s in the first half. But Toronto knock the ball on in another bad play the ball. Fev get the scrum 40 metres out.

Again Toronto’s defence hold as Fev player King gets held up over the line. Toronto forward, Wilkins lets him know about it and King lands a right cross slap/hit to his face as a response. Wilkins doesn’t react and I guess punches / hits aren’t automatically 10 in the bin in this league.

70th min: Try Toronto! And that’s why you don’t react to slaps people. Sometimes it’s tougher not to react says the commentator as Wilkins is instrumental in this try. Toronto go 100 metres and Mellor steps and breaks the tackles of five Featherstone defenders before going over to score... and tackling the referee for good measure and bonus points. Try is converted by the new kicker Wallace. Tor 22-6 Fev.

74th min: Lol Toronto try to play the ball, Featherstone kick it away before it can even be rolled between the legs but the ref says everything is ok for a Fev scrum. (wow).

There’s some frustration understandably creeping into the Featherstone play as Toronto have one hand on the trophy. Will anything boil over?

78th min: Pen Tor, so yes. A Fev player back chats a bit too much and Toronto kick for goal. If it were up to me I’d let retiring champ Ashton Sims take the kick but it’s all business as Wallace slots it over. Tor 24-6 Fev.

80th min: Pen Tor and the ref demands it is taken even though players are walking around shaking hands. McCrone eventually boots it out and that's it.

Final score:

Woohoo! What an end to a 3 year journey and now the next stage begins. All credit to the Featherstone rovers. What a valiant and amazing effort to not only make the final but even to be leading a team of highly trained full time professional athletes at half time. Well done.

The Wolfpack were a bit nervous in the first half but were able to compose themselves and score three tries in 12 minutes during that all important last quarter.

The commentators (including ex Knights winger, Brian Carney) have just said how terrible it is for the SL bosses to deny any prize money to Toronto. They are going to take it all and re-distribute it evenly to the 11 other SL teams. The reason? It seems to be that no one knows how long expansion teams will last so they won’t give money to help them in case the club falls over. Backward thinking at its best. “You’re new and have earned your place but any money that would be helpful, is going to go to established teams” What a total crock of poop. Maybe one day we’ll get 3 teams in Canada, and 4 to 6 teams in America and we can return the favour as we take over SL!

Congratulations to the Wolfpack!!

Yippie Ky Yay there GE. Great to see the Wolfpack get there but even greater to get your reports. Looked tricky at half time and I was thinking back to last year's collapse. Have the Brits agreed fully to Toronto joining the SuperLeague. I understood there were negotiations regarding costs etc. And what is happening to the New York interest in joining one of the English comps? The English seem to be trying to expand the game. Australia's admin sits on its hands and rabbits on about Sydney teams and stadiums. Thanks for your excellent reports GE. Loved them.

Ist Half:

Half Time:

Second Half:

Final score:

Congratulations @globaleagle.

Yippie Ky Yay there GE. Great to see the Wolfpack get there but even greater to get your reports. Looked tricky at half time and I was thinking back to last year's collapse. Have the Brits agreed fully to Toronto joining the SuperLeague. I understood there were negotiations regarding costs etc. And what is happening to the New York interest in joining one of the English comps? The English seem to be trying to expand the game. Australia's admin sits on its hands and rabbits on about Sydney teams and stadiums. Thanks for your excellent reports GE. Loved them.

Yes, I was kinda hoping for more points at half time. Featherstone did very well I thought.

The 'honourable men' at SL headquarters fully agreed to Toronto joining the SL (if they won today) only a couple of days ago.
They mainly had to sort out costs and accommodation for travelling teams in a way that SL paid for as little as possible and Toronto pay for as much as possible. As I said above, SL are not giving Toronto any money earned from winning promotion, instead they are taking that money and giving it to the 11 other teams in SL. Go figure! Sounds like a total rort to me. Even today's commentators spoke about how well the AFL did with the GWS expansion team unlike anything SL does.

New York is still being 'spoken' about. I think Perez and his 'gang' bought that third tier licence this year with the idea of forming a second Canadian or first US (NY) team. Currently I think we're all sharpening our skis and eating Poutine at the moment.

Toronto coach did an article about how he didn't like the promotion / relegation of teams. *goes to find it*

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/1006...cdermott-believes-promotion-system-is-flawed/

I do agree with you that the Aussie admin is sitting on its hands, but the English Admin don't really do much either. Someone has to buy a licence, then run a team with no financial help, then if they win they still have to prove they can enter the sl without financial help. Fair enough, some will say, but that's hardly trying to expand the game, and the sl do kick in money to the other established teams. Raiders, Melb, etc etc all got help from the nrl but toronto...not a dime.

Again, that said.... YAY!

And thanks for your kind words about the reports. They are much appreciated.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2019...s-top-tier-by-winning-million-pound-game.html

Central to Dave Argyle's bid to join the competition from the outset was that they would pay all expenses for other teams and wouldn't take the TV money. The game in England is on the whole in such a sorry state financially that one trip a year "across the pond" would be the end of half of them.

A bit more info following on from yesterday,

from cbc.ca

Coming to America
Others are already looking to join the Wolfpack in North America. Wolfpack co-founder Eric Perez plans to bring a team to Ottawa, likely in 2021. Another group is looking to install a team in New York.

And Rimmer says there is also interest from other European cities in coming on board, although he declined to detail who.

While the RFL has given Toronto the green light to join the Super League, the Wolfpack will play the first year in the top tier under their existing agreement with the governing body. That means paying for visiting teams' travel and accommodation costs, a burden eased by a sponsorship deal with Air Transat.

Toronto will also not get a cut of the Super League's Sky TV broadcast deal, which is worth more than two million pounds ($3.3 million) annually to each club, unless a new agreement is struck. That's enough to cover the Super League salary cap. (wtf?)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/tor...-secure-a-berth-in-the-super-league-1.5310662

Looking forward to next year "come what may"!

DUMB by the officals. Maybe the board of the Super League are all looking to the NRL best practice and are modelling their approach on Greenturds incompetance? Either way - I expect to see a replacement CEO at the NRL to come from the Super League at this rate

AWESOME work @globaleagle and the Wolf Pack. Enjoy the mad monday!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/b0483d388a43d1b0c64fc8b93daf055e

All Black Sonny Bill Williams has expressed an interest in joining English Super League newcomers Toronto Wolfpack, head coach Brian McDermott has revealed.

Sounds like something someone I know said!

Surely SBW will be back after winning the RWC ?? Of course his meagre salary of $120K will hardly cause a ripple under the sombrero

He'll be playing for Toronto.

@:cool:

General stuff:

Experienced hooker Bob Beswick to leave Toronto and play for the Newcastle thunder. Thanks Bob and good luck.

Ireland international Bob Beswick will make a transatlantic switch this winter, as the vastly experienced hooker joins Newcastle Thunder from Toronto Wolfpack.
Heading into his 17th professional season in 2020, Beswick will be one of the most experienced players to ever pull on a Thunder shirt, with more than 400 games played in his career to date.

Making his Super League debut in 2004 with Wigan, Beswick played at the top level for two years before establishing himself as one of the most competitive and creative hookers at Championship level across a superb ten-year stint.

Toronto twitter:
After 3 years with Toronto, Bob Beswick will be moving on to play for @ThunderRugby next season. From the Wolfpack’s first ever game to Super League promotion, you’ve helped shape the identity of the club both on the pitch and in the community. Thank you

Gaz O'Brien got married
Andy Ackers had his first born (a boy).

I don't think the above two happenings are related.

Apparently Darcy Lussick is going to belt Justin Hodges. Usually team owners are reluctant to let their contracted players play or do certain things but after watching footage of Justin's first two fights, the go ahead was given.

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with anything Lussick related but:

The Toronto Wolfpack have announced a new partnership with independent law firm Brabners. The sponsorship agreement starts with immediate effect and will see Brabners have a brand and advertising presence at the Wolfpack’s home ground, Lamport Stadium in Toronto, Canada. Brabners will also serve as UK legal services provider to the Wolfpack.

SBW: 4.5 mill a YEAR for two years?

Better check behind the couch for a lot of extra change!!

Sonny Bill Williams has received an offer to be the highest paid player in the history of rugby league and union, just days after his All Blacks were eliminated from the Rugby World Cup.

According to a report, Williams has ben tabled a record $9 million deal to return to rugby league with the Toronto Wolfpack in the English Super League.

• according to "a" report - lol
  • 'ben' - sheesh

The reason why the club can offer the NRL premiership winner such a huge deal is due to the rules surrounding Super League marquee player rules. Under the terms, only $300,000 of a marquee player's annual wage counts under the salary cap. The remaining amount does not fall under the salary cap giving cashed up owners of clubs to pay big-name players exorbitant salaries.

SBW: 4.5 mill a YEAR for two years?

Better check behind the couch for a lot of extra change!!

Sonny Bill Williams has received an offer to be the highest paid player in the history of rugby league and union, just days after his All Blacks were eliminated from the Rugby World Cup.

According to a report, Williams has ben tabled a record $9 million deal to return to rugby league with the Toronto Wolfpack in the English Super League.

• according to "a" report - lol
  • 'ben' - sheesh

The reason why the club can offer the NRL premiership winner such a huge deal is due to the rules surrounding Super League marquee player rules. Under the terms, only $300,000 of a marquee player's annual wage counts under the salary cap. The remaining amount does not fall under the salary cap giving cashed up owners of clubs to pay big-name players exorbitant salaries.

Uncle Nick is going to need a MUCH bigger Sombrero, not just an XXL but a XXXXXXXL

If Toronto had any idea about value for money they would offer the turbo brothers a $9m package for two years

They might just get them for that sort of money

Better than paying $9m for over the hill Sonny

They don't like the cold apparently. We said we had heaters!

(I'm making that up)

Equity, a Netflix series and $7m: Toronto Wolfpack’s unprecedented offer to lure SBW back to league

It can be revealed that 12-cap Kiwi international, who last played league in 2014, has been offered a groundbreaking contract – believed to be the first of its kind in professional sport – which will see him own equity in the company in perpetuity.

It’s understood to be the first time an active athlete will own shares in the club they play for, with Toronto saying they have sent their end of the contract off to Williams’ management to rubberstamp.

Crikey! Even I'm getting a bit worried about those amounts! Better not do a hammy first training run if he signs! Someone in the organisation has a serious man crush lol

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4