Toronto Wolfpack: Out for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Be afraid Aussie easybeats.....be afraid!

Super League clubs have expressed interest in playing matches against Australia for the first time in 26 years during next year's Kangaroos tour.

Wigan and newly promoted Toronto Wolfpack have confirmed their interest.

The Wolfpack would be prepared to play in England and believe a match against the Kangaroos would generate significant interest for the code in North America, particularly if they are successful in signing Sonny Bill Williams.

The Wolfpack, who have played home games in England as well as Toronto during their three-year campaign to win promotion from the third-tier League One to Super League.

"Absolutely there would be interest on our part," Wolfpack commercial director Martin Vickers said. "Imagine what a boost that would be to our plans in growing the game back in North America and globally. And now they have lost to Tonga, we're confident we could even throw ge in at fullback and win against Australia. I mean a kangaroo, what type of lame nickname is that?"
"A mid-week full house in potentially a UK expansion area such as Newcastle, Bristol or London, broadcast to a global TV audience would make such a statement about the development of the game internationally."

The BBC reported Tuesday that the All Blacks star is set to join the Toronto Wolfpack on a two-year, multi-million-dollar deal.

The transatlantic rugby league team had little to say about the report, however.

"At this present time, we still have nothing to confirm," a Wolfpack spokesman said.
1ab4dc0a2ad81503f2f3e79e043c5645.gif

English rugby league has a salary cap with a partial exemption for marquee players. In rugby league, the salary cap was two million pounds (C$3.38 million) in 2019. Teams can have two marquee players with each of their salary cap hits restricted to 150,000 pounds (C$251,815).

Toronto's marquee players in 2019 were Australian forward Darcy Lussick and Samoan international back Ricky Leutele.

Also: 2020 Draw tis out!

EImPipnWkAAt3Vk.jpg:large

Last edited:
Interesting pic of the most recent crowd pic (top) and first game crowd pic (bottom).

EGnLu_3XUAAAyno

Last edited:
I had to check to make sure the pics were reversed. You make it sound like it was packed to start and now nothing.... .....

I know right! I thought it was a bogus way to write it. Like saying bogus!

Sorry.

Changed it now.

That owner of yours Global seems to get things done ......

I certainly do! I mean he certainly does! @:blush:@:p

Amazing what a billion dollars can get accomplished. (just ask mark from brisbane!)

Last edited:
OFFICIAL SBW SIGNS

Today, it is confirmed that the Toronto Wolfpack has signed New Zealand Rugby superstar Sonny Bill Williams to a two-year contract for the 2020 and 2021 seasons. Williams’ signature comes on the back of the Wolfpack’s biggest year in the team’s very short history, one that saw the Wolfpack achieve their five-year goal of Super League promotion two years early. Williams will now be part of the squad that sets their sights on the Northern Hemisphere’s premier Rugby League competition in 2020.

Sonny Bill Williams had this to say about the next stage in his professional career:

“Toronto Wolfpack is a club that represents Toronto which is a very multicultural city. The club has big ambitions and big goals. I want to be part of all this and do all I can to help reach those lofty goals. On the field I’d like to bring high quality play and do all I can for the betterment of the team. Off the field I’d like to use my experience to mentor the young players and be helpful where I am needed. Super league will be a new challenge and one I’m looking forward to. It will be a new experience and one I’m ready to embrace.”

Mal Meninga, who is regarded by most as one of the greatest players in the sport’s history added his thoughts on what the signing of Sonny Bill Williams represents for The Wolfpack:

“Sonny Bill Williams will provide an immediate impact for rugby league in the Northern Hemisphere and for the development of rugby in North America. When the Kangaroos tour England in 2020 – we will look forward to playing a warm up game against the Wolfpack as it would create a lot of excitement for the sport.”

@globaleagle ... very good article in the telecrap today about Toronto ..... worth reading ......

Any chance you could have a chat to Argyll about buying Manly .....

PSSS ... The argyll's of course are Scots and highlanders ....

@globaleagle ... very good article in the telecrap today about Toronto ..... worth reading ......

.....The city of Toronto is no stranger to sporting success. It’s home to Major League Baseball franchise the Maple Leafs .......

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

They haven't existed since 1967. fmd....the DT has internet doesn't it? lol

Thanks for that. Obv seen most of that with all the bits 'n pieces I've been pouring over today.

Plus going through the annoyance of hearing every Canadian broadcaster refer to the game as 'rugby'. sigh

I'm pretty sure Argyle is busy with the new New York team and I'm reliably informed that Manly isn't up for sale. lol

@globaleagle .... that story is worth copying on here for everybod to read .... amazing what an owner with determination and a quid can accomplish .... the biggest story in Rugby League ..

DT ar-tee-cull

Kangaroos lock in chance to tackle Sonny Bill Williams and the Toronto Wolfpack
Adam Mobbs, The Daily Telegraph
November 8, 2019 7:12am

The Kangaroos are on a collision course with Sonny Bill Williams after the former All Black was officially unveiled as a Toronto Wolfpack player.
Toronto announced they signed Williams to a two-year contract – believed to be worth $10 million – in the richest deal in rugby league history.
His signing announcement caused the Wolfpack’s website to crash as fans clamoured to read about the club’s new marquee man.

Sonny Bill Williams is officially a member of the Toronto Wolfpack.

Sonny Bill Williams is officially a member of the Toronto Wolfpack.
And Australian rugby league officials have wasted little time capitalising on SBW fever with coach Mal Meninga confirming they would play a warm-up match against Williams and the Wolfpack as part of their 2020 Kangaroos tour.

“Sonny Bill Williams will provide an immediate impact for rugby league in the Northern Hemisphere and for the development of rugby in North America,” Meninga said.
“When the Kangaroos tour England in 2020 – we will look forward to playing a warm-up game against the Wolfpack as it would create a lot of excitement for the sport.”

Williams posted a video message from his home in New Zealand, confirming he would switch to North America for 2020 and 2021.
“Hey guys, Sonny here. Just a quick message to the Toronto fans and team – I’m looking forward to getting over there,” Williams said.

I just want to say that I’m not coming over for a holiday, although my son might be, I’m coming over to do some work.
God willing, we can have a successful season on and off the field.”

"There's Sonny-Bill Williams, there's Andrew Johns and then there's daylight"

Brian Carney believes potential Toronto signing Sonny-Bill Williams would be the biggest ever signing in Super League History.

In a statement, the Wolfpack said the announcement came on the back of the club’s biggest year as they achieved their five-year goal of earning Super League promotion two years early.
Toronto chairman and CEO Bob Hunter likened Williams to NBA great LeBron James, declaring his signing would boost rugby league’s profile globally.

“The excitement he will bring to the sport of rugby league in this country will be incredible,” Hunter said.

“Having someone of his talent join the Wolfpack will greatly raise the profile of the club, and also help move the game forward globally. Sonny is a phenomenal athlete and we believe he is rugby’s LeBron James and his addition to our league is comparable to when David Beckham joined LA Galaxy. “

The city of Toronto is no stranger to sporting success. It’s home to Major League Baseball franchise the Maple Leafs, while the Raptors became the first Canadian team to win the NBA championship earlier this year.

The "leafs" are the Toronto Hockey team, the "Blue Jays" are the Toronto Baseball team. - ge

So when the signing of Williams gets the mayor’s attention, it proves it’s a big deal.

“Today’s news is another huge win for our Toronto Wolfpack,” Mayor John Tory said.
“Sonny Bill Williams is one of the best rugby players in the world and we welcome him to Toronto. Our city is proud of the success of this team so far and we’re ready to keep cheering them on in the Super League.”

SAMOA WANT SBW IN BLUE – Scott Bailey
Samoa coach Matt Parish will approach Sonny Bill Williams to talk to him about representing the Pacific nation.

The former Canterbury and Sydney Roosters premiership winner has represented New Zealand in both league and union but is eligible to play for Samoa through his father’s heritage.
The 34-year-old superstar also holds a Samoan passport and has been passionate about both codes in the Pacific Islands throughout his career.

“We would certainly wait for the ink to dry on his contract but we will be definitely be making contact with him to gauge his interest,” Parish told AAP. “I know he is very proud of his Samoan heritage.
“We’d definitely welcome the opportunity to have him in the team. His influence on and off the field would be immense for a nation like Samoa.”
Just as Taumalolo reinvigorated the international game and kickstarted the Tongan revolution when he opted to play for them at the 2017 World Cup, other players would likely follow Williams to Samoa.

The nation already have Martin Taupau and Anthony Milford pledging their allegiances, while stars Issac Liu, Jamayne Isaako, Josh McGuire and Josh Papalii are among others who are eligible.

“Having someone like Sonny, his presence around the group would be enormous,” Parish said.
“You only have to look at what he’s done for the Roosters in 2013 when they won the comp.
“He’s been in the All Blacks system the past couple of years. He’s certainly been in some great systems.
“There’s not too many players that are going to get the opportunity to play with Sonny Bill Williams because he’s only got about two or three years left.” New Zealand Rugby League also confirmed this week they would welcome Williams back with open arms but said his form must be strong enough to force his way back into the team.

Meanwhile Parish is also keeping a close eye on whether Toronto sign England rugby union centre Manu Tuilagu, who is also of Samoan heritage.

That's not the story ... the one today focuses more on Argyll and the Wolfpack .... calls it the greatest story in Rugby League .....

@Woodsie
This one that speaks about fui fui?

The $90,000 Fuifui Moimoi deal that helped Toronto land Sonny Bill Williams

For his first big signature, Toronto Wolfpack owner Dave Argyle shelled out just $90,000.
Or less than NRL minimum wage.
Yet still, enough for the Australian mining magnate to get himself that inaugural turnstile spinner.

Or something like that.

Understanding at the time, Fuifui Moimoi was 37, playing off the bench with English battlers Leigh and contemplating retirement.
Still, Argyle reasoned, English fans seemed to love the nuggety prop all dreadlocks and kamikaze playing style.
Even dubbed him ‘Car Crash’.
And so, the Wolfpack owner shelled out those five figures.

The start of what now looms as the greatest story anywhere in rugby league.
For what else would you call the rise and rise of Toronto Wolfpack?
This fledgling footy franchise that exists in North America, plays 6000km away in England and, until this past week, was arguably best known among NRL fans for axing Dave ‘Coal Train’ Taylor before he even played a game.

But not anymore.

No, only three years after Argyle signed ‘Car Crash’ for pocket change – and debuted Toronto in an English third-tier competition – the millionaire owner is now readying for the 2020 Super League season with no less than All Black Sonny Bill Williams as his No.1 draw.
Truly, not since Zach Galifianakis stood on the roof of Caesars Palace — flick knife in hand — has there been so much interest in a Wolfpack.

An incredible reality which has already drawn comparisons to English footballing icon David Beckham joining LA Galaxy some 12 years ago.
Although it should be noted that when Beckham jetted into Los Angeles in 2007, he was not only a global megastar already – thanks to stints with both Manchester United and Real Madrid – but playing a sport most North Americans were aware of.

Yet right now in Toronto, the biggest question among Canadian sports fans appears to be: Sonny Who?
Still, they’re asking.

Not only about Williams, or even rugby league, but exactly where one can buy his new No. 21 jersey.
For this, apparently, is the number SBW will wear when he returns to the same code where he previously won NRL premierships with both Canterbury and the Sydney Roosters.
Which again, draws comparisons with Beckham and that No. 23 Galaxy jersey he wore in Major League Soccer (MLS).

Yet more than selling a club, or even a competition, Williams is now charged with promoting an entire code.
And while sculpted footballing mercenary may not be in the same stratosphere as Beckham, nor does Jason Taumalolo boast the some celebrity as SBW — yet in recent days we’ve seen the power of his signing with international minnows Tonga.

And so we wait.

Understanding that when Beckham signed with Galaxy in 2007 – on a deal which Forbes recently valued at $255 million over six years – there were only a dozen teams in the MSL.
Now, however, there are almost double that – with Nashville set to become the 24th franchise while Cincinnati, Detroit and Sacramento have all submitted their own bids, worth upwards of $70 million, to join the league.

In his opening game, Beckham drew a crowd that included the likes of Tom Cruise and Arnold Schwarzenegger, while European stars like Thierry Henry also followed him into a US competition that was soon being broadcast nationally on NBC and ESPN.

It is a blueprint, too, the Wolfpack hope to follow.
And all for that initial outlay of $90,000.

Probably a heap of talented athletes from American football just across the border who may not be able to make the cut for the higher level Gridiron comps in future times who may look to the opportunity to have a crack at League at the Wolfpack "s set up .

@Woodsie

Here's an article that's a bit more in depth, not just on sbw, but the problems with the lack of RLF's transparency and problems with UK immigration, etc.

Anyway, I found it interesting.

Wolfpack owner David Argyle says he plans to turn Williams' number into a call-to-arms hashtag: #rugbydisrupters21.
This week his CEO Bob Hunter will meet with Super League’s administration and rival club bosses in a combative mood after snaring SBW, and having flagged the pursuit of other rugby union and league stars, understood to be headed by Ben Te'o and Manu Tuilagi.

Hunter will ask for the competition’s salary cap to be dramatically altered, for extreme transparency to be introduced and for a rethink on the central distribution of funds.

The Canadian franchise also wants the Rugby Football League to positively represent them on the issue of immigration with the UK Home Office. Williams, at the moment, could be refused re-entry to the UK the same way prop Darcy Lussick was last season.

Toronto’s players are based in northern England for long stretches of the season, making it a grey area from an immigration perspective. This is especially the case if their families join them – or even seek work.

The club believes other sports’ governing bodies in Britain are firm with the Home Office in such situations but the RFL is meek. A declaration that the Wolfpack is a tier-two affiliated company would resolve many of the issues, they believe.

Rather than ask for the £2 million ($3.7m) they voluntarily forgo from TV money, the Wolfpack will ask for where it and other funds are going to be made public.

“Fans everywhere need to know the people who are taking a cut of their gate money, their TV subscriptions and merchandise sales are doing what they are charged with doing – growing the game,” he told the Herald from Toronto.

"I want this to be grassroots. This is in the interests of all fans that there is greater transparency and those with ambition are not held back.

I think GreenTurd is very fortunate that he doesn't have to lock horns with a bloke of Argyll's character .... get him to buy a share in Manly ...!!

I think GreenTurd is very fortunate that he doesn't have to lock horns with a bloke of Argyll's character .... get him to buy a share in Manly ...!!

Argyle could just laugh at uncle Nick's 'chump change' - lol. (that'd be nice).

But imagine having someone wanting to do the right thing, no tribal alliances, no boys club, just wanting a strong grassroots system and people with the money to be accountable. utopia

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4