Toronto Wolfpack: Out for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Play offs and they then have to play against the bottom two or three SuperLeague sides and top sides from the championship comp they are in for a spot in the top league. GE will no doubt clarify this. Just hope the Wolfpack don't falter at the last post as they did last year missing out by just three points in their last game

@globaleagle .. Is promotion based on regular season results or play-offs ?

Whichever team wins the grand final, gets promoted! It's a 5 team final series. :)

edit: I wish it was regular season champs got promotoed, I'd be woohoo'ing Toronto's promotion to all and sundry by now!

Play offs and they then have to play against the bottom two or three SuperLeague sides and top sides from the championship comp they are in for a spot in the top league. GE will no doubt clarify this. Just hope the Wolfpack don't falter at the last post as they did last year missing out by just three points in their last game

That was last year, they changed it so it's winner take all! :)

Toronto are the bottom left of the pic below

imagesource.php

Match Report: Toronto Wolfpack v Barrow Raiders

Short version: Toronto wins 62-8.

The game wasn't televised and I didn't follow it on twitter so.... have this pre-prepared, slightly edited report. (Just add water).

Toronto Wolfpack have accounted for a spirited Barrow Raiders and emerged with a dominant 62-8 home victory, their 20th consecutive win in the 2019 Betfred Championship.

The inaugural Forces and Families game drew an impressive Labour Day weekend crowd of 7,129 to recognise and acknowledge the brave military personnel and their families in attendance.

It was a fast start for the Wolfpack, with skipper Josh McCrone scoring inside two minutes, but it was an inspired 15 minute period to close out the first half that took the game away from Barrow.

Toronto registered seven tries in the opening 40 minutes and five of them came in that scintillating final fifteen, giving the home side a 38-point lead at the break.

It was a tough day for Barrow but they never dropped their heads, instead giving their all for the full 80 minutes to the delight of their travelling fans and gaining the respect of Wolfpack supporters.

Liam Kay finished the day with a high-flying hat-trick while Andrew Dixon and Matty Russell had two tries next to their names at the final whistle.

O’Brien had his radar tuned in, slotting 10 out of 11 conversion attempts, some of which sailed through from the sideline. In a tough day to pick the best on field thanks to a sustained team effort from the Wolfpack, Ashton Sims was strong in defence and Ricky Leutele showed the crowd his sidestep and speed in setting up multiple tries.

The Wolfpack will be back in action on Saturday September 7th as Leigh Centurions come to Lamport Stadium.

The fixture is the Wolfpack’s Fan Appreciation Game and will feature exciting activities and entertainment.
Giveaways will be plentiful and the family-friendly party atmosphere will be in full-swing for the Wolfpack’s final game before the playoffs begin at Lamport Stadium on Sunday, September 22.

As usual always appreciated Global. Lets just hope they don't fall over this year at the last hurdle as they did last year so they can be our team to watch in the English Superleague next year.

Final Round:

Toronto Wolfpack (1) v Leigh Centurions. (4)
And the end of the non telecast games!

Toronto Wolfpack have completed their regular season fixtures with a resounding 46-12 victory over the visiting fourth placed Leigh Centurions at Lamport Stadium.

It is the Wolfpack's 21st consecutive win of 2019

It was fan appreciation day and tickets were 50% off (bonus)!

In the earlier match this year Toronto came away with a hard fought 14-8 victory and true to form, Leigh attacked the Toronto line repeatedly in the first half, yet Toronto;s line held firm.

24th min: YELLOW CARDS. Tempers flaring at the Den, Jake Emmitt and Gadwin Springer are sent off to the sin bin.

Half time: Toronto 24 - 6 Leigh.

Congrats to the couple that got engaged during a halftime proposal! (You can do better M'am, lol).

SLciQgG.jpg

Coach Brian McDermott said the right things to his squad during the break because they emerged from the rooms full of energy and immediately got the scoreboard ticking over again.

The Wolfpack thrilled the home fans as they added 12 points in 20 minutes to take the game away from Leigh and ensure they finished the regular season the way started it.

Second half tries to McCrone, Mellor and Liam Kay stretched the margin out to a substantial 34 points before former Wolfpack player Ryan Brierley pulled it back for Leigh with a try in the left hand corner that was spectacularly converted by Martyn Ridyard. Bob Beswick would restore the Wolfpack’s 34 point lead right on the final siren however, hitting a McCrone pass as speed and forcing his way over the line beneath the posts.

The Wolfpack will now enjoy a week-off as their four fellow finalists begin the Playoff Series and battle it out to progress to the semi-finals. Toronto will await results to see who they play at Lamport Stadium on September 22 at 1.30pm ET, a game where a win will see them straight through to an all-or-nothing Grand Final on October 5.

Game Timeline

12’ Try Wolfpack: McCrone. Conversion: O’Brien 6-0

20’ Try Wolfpack: Miloudi. Conversion: O’Brien 12-0

22’ Try Wolfpack: O’Brien. Conversion: O’Brien 18-0

31’ Try Wolfpack: Russell. Conversion: O’Brien 24-0

35’ Try Centurions: Brown. Conversion: Ridyard 24-6

Half Time: 24 – 6

42’ Penalty Wolfpack: O’Brien 26-6

57’ Try Wolfpack: McCrone. Conversion: O’Brien 32-6

59’ Try Wolfpack: Mellor 36-6

64’ Try Wolfpack: Kay 40-6

74’ Try Centurions: Brierley. Conversion: Ridyard 40-12

80’ Try Wolfpack: Beswick. Conversion: O’Brien 46-12

Full Time: 46-12

Ok!

We're all basking in the glow of an absolute great victory so now is a good as time as any for an update.

The final five have been sorted:

1) Toronto ! They get the week off to watch Manly play.
2) Toulouse Olympique
3) York City Knights
4) Leigh Centurions
5) Featherstone Rovers

2nd play 3rd in a Qualifying final (non elimination)
4th play 5th in an Elimination final.

SO FAR THIS WEEKEND:

Toulouse defeated York City 44-6. This means Toulouse play Toronto next week and York City play the winner of tomorrows elimination match.

:)

More to follow.

Featherstone (5th) have knocked out 4th place Centurions!

The finals look like this so far and round two is now penned in:

EEh7F6vWsAAeDe6

Thanks @globaleagle
What do we think of the match up against Toulouse? Tough game?

Yes!

The only loss the wolfpack have had all year is against Toulouse in the early rounds. Toronto have played Toulouse 3 times so far and are 2-1.

After the first loss they rebounded with consecutive wins but while one was comfortable, the other win could not be described as comfortable or easy.

It's the finals and anything can happen but with Toronto having the extra week off and home ground advantage I am hoping and predicting a wolfpack win.

First match up was 46-16 to Toulouse (at Toulouse)
Second match up was 42-14 to Toronto (Neutral venue)
Third match up was 28-16 to Toronto (at Toronto)

Toronto into Final

Just waiting for GlobalEagle's game report on Toronto's defeat of their main rival Toulouse by 40-24 in the quarter final (leading 40-12 with ten minutes to play, but allowed Toulouse in for 2 late tries). I believe they are now one game away from the Championship trophy. My understanding is that with the changes in 2018, the old promotion/relegation system has been dispensed with and now it is only one side relegated from Superleague and one promoted from Championship League. That would mean if Toronto wins its next game, it will be promoted to SuperLeague for 2020. Am I right GE?

Last edited:
Also noted Kevin Hastings' and Joey Lussick's Salford side that was almost relegated last year is presently fighting it out in the SuperLeague finals, though they lost to Wigan 18-12 on the weekend and they now cant lose another game. They now have to defeat Castleford and then defeat the winner of the St Helens v Wigan match, for the right to play in the Grand Final. Would be a tough ask though to have a chance against St Helens who have been like Tononto in the Championship League, easily defeating most challengers this year.

Grand final teams decided!

It's Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers.
Boy oh boy oh boy, who saw this coming?

The Rovers just scraped into the finals in 5th place and have had to play three sudden death games to make the big show on October the 5th. Toronto, on the other hand, have had to win just one game to book their spot.

Not only did Featherstone knock out 3 teams ranked above them but they did it in style scoring no less than 100 points combined for those games.

36-12 against Toulouse
30-4 against York
34-18 against Leigh

Talk about hitting your straps at the right time.

Add to that, in the two games Toronto beat them in this year, one was by only 4 points (22-18) and the other was a tight contest as well (23-14).

So we have a battle-hardened team up against the high flyers. Toronto simply can not afford to take Featherstone lightly.

From the club's site:

"Wolfpack match days at Lamport Stadium are renowned in Toronto as being the best five-hour party in the city thanks to world-class activations and entertainment bookending what will be a fierce on-field battle for 80 minutes. The Beer Garden will be buzzing with energy all day, the half-time show promises to be the best yet and there will be plenty of giveaways, live music and reasons to celebrate all day long." - In case you guys wanna go.

The game could be an absolute cracker and it's certainly one GF I am looking forward to and probably the only one I will watch this year.

Woot!

Great to see you back in action GE and loved your pseudonym performance as Mrs GE...a hoot. Looking forward to, and hoping for, the explosive cheering report from you after GF day. Avoid the Moonshine though, whichever way the game turns out. Hopefully we'll need you for SuperLeague next year.

Getting nervous G.E? I certainly am. This Fetherstone side has come into the finals at 5th and are destroying all comers including Toulouse, who I thought was almost assured of a Grand Final spot. Fetherstone are doing a Salford. Coming good in the finals. Both St Helens and Toronto have come in first into the finals in their respective leagues, with daylight second. But a bad performance in the grand final, and both would spoil all that impressive work. I'm cheering for Toronto and Salford. Any thoughts?

Getting nervous G.E? I certainly am. This Fetherstone side has come into the finals at 5th and are destroying all comers including Toulouse, who I thought was almost assured of a Grand Final spot. Fetherstone are doing a Salford. Coming good in the finals. Both St Helens and Toronto have come in first into the finals in their respective leagues, with daylight second. But a bad performance in the grand final, and both would spoil all that impressive work. I'm cheering for Toronto and Salford. Any thoughts?

Trying not to think about it!!!! (lol)

Happy for Salford to win just on the underdog basis and St Helens have won plenty. I don't know much more about it. For all I know Salford could be full of boofheads and St W full of Steve Menzeeezeses and Trbojevics.

I tend to try and cap the excitement levels (externally at least) but it boils down to this:

Toronto can win, have beaten Featherstone twice this year, are fully rested and ready to go. the whole year has been about getting promoted rather than 'just trying to get into the finals".

Featherstone - battle hardened, match ready, desperate, on fire and in form. No doubt they want promotion as well but at the start of the year I'm not sure if they were thinking about it. Take them anyway but deadly seriously, then Toronto are going to have a bad day.

Last year was a total shock. Winning games with +50 scores only to go down in the final in a 4-2 tryless game. Toronto can't be forced into playing another team's style of play. The only silver lining was that I'm not sure SL would have been all that happy for Toronto this year. (Gut feeling). 1 more year in the second tier may have been just the thing.

It's the battle between the high flying well rested heavyweights v the battle hardened, desperate underdogs.

That said, I hope Toronto win by 80.

P.S.

It's on tv in a few places:

1f1e8-1f1e6.png
@GameTVCanada | @cbcsports | @Sportsnet
1f1ec-1f1e7.png
@SkySportsRL
1f1e6-1f1fa.png
@FOXNRL | @kayosports
1f1f3-1f1ff.png
@skysportnz
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
@FOXSoccerPlus | @ElevenSportsHQ
1f1eb-1f1f7.png
@beinsports_FR
1f30f.png
@Setanta_Asia
1f30e.png
Facebook Live

Also, it's Ashton Sims last game finishing off a great 17 year career. Well done! He's a hit in Toronto as well. Very approachable, well spoken and a genuinely nice guy.

Last edited:
Some Greenburg like shenanigans going on here...(luckily and predictably all sorted)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/toronto-wolfpack-promotion-1.5307405

Just two days before their promotion showdown with Featherstone Rovers, the Toronto Wolfpack have got the green light to join the Super League if they win the Million Pound Game this weekend.
The transatlantic team has been in discussions with English rugby league officials, with scheduling, travel costs and the club's financial status high on the agenda.

While Toronto has been dominant on the field this season, winning 27 of 28 matches in the second-tier Championship, the future of the Wolfpack was raised last month when Super League chief executive Robert Elstone cited the need for "a number of assurances" before admitting the North American franchise to the sport's top tier.

Wolfpack officials, while understanding the need for clarity, questioned the timing of the comments considering the team had come within one win of promotion in 2018.

"It would be a distraction if we were genuinely worried about our off-field things," Wolfpack coach Brian McDermott said after training Wednesday.

"The questions that are being asked are absolutely credible, for sure. No drama. It's the right thing. I would do the same ... Those questions, they're not the problems. The assumptions and the public statements so close to the end of the season [are]. Look I'm not an administrator but I would imagine those things should be sorted out by now."

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4