Toovey returns to the scene

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Geoff Toovey returns to the scene of infamous 'investigation' blow up

by Michael Chammas, smh.com.au

At the same ground, against the same team with the same referee - c'mon, c'mon that's ridiculous.

Read More

Geoff Toovey returns to the scene of infamous 'investigation' blow up

by Michael Chammas, smh.com.au

At the same ground, against the same team with the same referee - c'mon, c'mon that's ridiculous.

There needs to be an investigation into how, just seven months after his now famous post-match press conference blow up, Geoff Toovey will return to the scene of the crime against South Sydney with Shayne Hayne again entrusted with the whistle.

Toovey's post-match rant after the round 23 game against the Rabbitohs last season was one of the highlights of the year - a breath of fresh air in an era where expressing opinion has been replaced by cliches.

"Everyone loves drama in rugby league and that's part and parcel of the game," Toovey said on the eve of his return to Bluetongue Stadium for Friday night's clash with the Bunnies.

"Hopefully it's the opposition coach blowing up this time."

Some might argue otherwise.

While clearly being able to coach, having taken his team to an NRL grand final, Toovey has also been notable for some of his combustible behaviour.

It was a hit with the media, a hit with the fans and a hit with his players, who have since taken great pleasure in their coach's fury.

It was also an online sensation, with a remixed video of the press conference on You Tube having received almost 33,000 hits.

Toovey let loose in the press conference after his side were on the wrong end of several contentious refereeing decisions in the 22-10 loss to South Sydney.

None more so than a ruling from referee Henry Perenara, who deemed Steve Matai hadn't grounded the ball, preventing video referees from overturning the decision without sufficient evidence to suggest otherwise.

“C’mon. C’mon, that’s ridiculous,” Toovey said at the time.

“That’s ridiculous. There’s got to be an investigation into this. Someone has to be accountable for this. And they have got to be accountable for the penalty count. 10-5 and there were a couple of even-up ones at the end.”

"Aren't we supposed to have the best referees for this game? Were they the best referees we've got? The two blokes in the box couldn't see it. What, they need high definition TV's. Bigger ones? So if it was held up, why can I see the ball on the ground? I don't get it."

Despite most seeing the funny side of Toovey's tirade, the Manly coach was slapped with a $10,000 fine by the NRL for his comments.

"Let’s talk about the real turning point," Toovey said last year.

"Let’s talk about the no try, Steve Matai held up. Unless I’m blind, I can see the ball on the ground so what was the decision? Can someone answer me that? Someone?”

Despite Hayne's appointment to referee the same game that he was assigned in round 23 last year, Toovey insists he didn't make the connection until Fairfax Media contacted him on Wednesday.

"Is it? I didn't even look at that to tell you the truth.

"It's fish and chip wrapper now. We've all moved on from it."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/geoff-toovey-returns-to-the-scene-of-infamous-investigation-blow-up-20140312-hvhvc.html#ixzz2vnI3zdHq

I like that Tooves just gets on the job & is forward looking. If it was Neil Henry he'd still be crying about ref decisions made 2 seasons ago ;)

It proably wont be on his mind. Im sure he will be swearing at hayne from the coaches box.

If the reffing is attrocious tomorrow (which it will be because were playing the beloved souffs and hayne is reffing), tooves should just sit at the conference and say nothing, just a cone of silence.

he will make his point and can't be fined for making 'inaapropiate' remarks.

Eagles2nv said:
It proably wont be on his mind. Im sure he will be swearing at hayne from the coaches box.

If the reffing is attrocious tomorrow (which it will be because were playing the beloved souffs and hayne is reffing), tooves should just sit at the conference and say nothing, just a cone of silence.

he will make his point and can't be fined for making 'inaapropiate' remarks.
He could just sit there quietly and give them the one finger salute..

HappilyManly said:
His 'Fish & Chip paper' response will be oft heard this year at the Press Conferences :p

Bless our Little General :angel:

I have to ask...who can remember getting fish and chips in newspaper wrapping? Yes the plain white...but print paper??I've heard Gus use that reference too. I'll happily stand corrected if someone can give me an instance..

(Geez, and he i was a cpl days ago getting into TC about being too anal??:blush:)

wombatgc said:
HappilyManly said:
His 'Fish & Chip paper' response will be oft heard this year at the Press Conferences :p

I have to ask...who can remember getting fish and chips in newspaper wrapping? Yes the plain white...but print paper??I've heard Gus use that reference too. I'll happily stand corrected if someone can give me an instance..

(Geez, and he i was a cpl days ago getting into TC about being too anal??:blush:)

It is totally true!:)

They used to wrap once in white paper and finish with newspaper. I remember digging a hole through the newspaper, then the white paper, to get my little hand in:rolleyes:

To this day when they hand me fish and chips wrapped in white paper it looks kinda naked:-/

You receive no penalty for being young wombatgc:)

EaglesDontTweet said:
wombatgc said:
HappilyManly said:

It is totally true!:)

They used to wrap once in white paper and finish with newspaper. I remember digging a hole through the newspaper, then the white paper, to get my little hand in:rolleyes:

To this day when they hand me fish and chips wrapped in white paper it looks kinda naked:-/

You receive no penalty for being young wombatgc:)

Ahh the memories.

Many times after ice skating at Narrabeen whilst waiting for the bus back to Mona Vale or Newport, we would duck across the road to the old fish and chip shop opposite the bus stop on Pittwater Road and get our packet of chips wrapped exactly like you said and we would eat them exactly like you have said too :)

wombatgc said:

Up to the 70's, the corner takeaway shop , made proper hamburgers, potato scallops, chiko rolls and fish and chips - all wrapped in yesterday's newspaper :shy:

Butchers paper was a luxury :D Recycling was unheard of, although the wrapping of takeaway food, is a re-use at least.

McDonalds, pre-packaging came in the mid 70's and the good tasting, newspaper wrapped food was replaced by the bland crap. The joke was that their wrapping tasted better than their mushy burgers.

Because of the way newspaper paper is produced, it was also what first aid manuals said to use to put a newborn baby on in case of an unexpected delivery, as its sterile.

The 20th Century seems strangely primitive now :shy:

When I was a kid and used to get lunch at the top floor cafeteria in the SUNDALE shopping mall, in southport....

Their chips came in a paper cup with print on it to look like newspaper.

When you read the print...it told you why chips in cups were better than rolled in paper soggy chips!

One of the best value chip places I found (as a young-un) was at the Metro, in MURWILLUMBAH. 20 cents seemed to get you a huge amount of chips. Plus when your dad's a tight ass....it was a godsend you got so many chips for 20 cents.

(I just had some Mcdonalds fries....ewww)

HappilyManly said:
Because of the way newspaper paper is produced, it was also what first aid manuals said to use to put a newborn baby on in case of an unexpected delivery, as its sterile.

There's the answer, Our local wog shop had little bambinos running around all the time. As soon as they could talk, they were out the front on the chip fryer. So I'm guessing they did have the old newspaper but out in the storeroom, close at hand for Mama incase she had to drop another sprog while she was cooking.:p

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2