Tony Williams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
1 of the leading targets after a loss, "will never be a winger" "Lazy" "Disinterested" etc, so i thought I would dig through the stats and compare him to the 4 wingers the comp raves about at the moment, Uate, Tuqiri, Vatuvei and Morris and see how he stacks up stats wise. These stats are wing only, don't include his games at centre

Tries

Uate 20 (19 games)
Morris 16 (17 games)
Vatuvei 14 (13 Games)
Tuqiri 13 (19 Games)
Williams 11 (16 games)

Line Breaks

Uate 24
Morris 17
Tuqiri 16
Vatuvei 12
Williams 11

Offloads

Vatuvei 24
Morris 20
Williams 16
Uate 11
Tuqiri 9

Tackle Breaks

Uate 105
Tuqiri 94
Williams 85
Morris 78
Vatuvei 53

Runs

Uate 13.4
Morris 13.2
Tuqiri 13
Vatuvei 12.2
Williams 10.9

Metres (Average)

Uate 140
Morris 139
Tuqiri 127
Vatuvei 120.8
Williams 105.8

Errors

Williams 17
Morris 17
Vatuvei 21
Tuqiri 22
Uate 29

So, make of those what you will. Personally I think it shows that he is having a pretty reasonable season and is not that far behind the standout wingers in some areas of his game. Obviously plenty still to work on but not this useless lazy bloke people like to portray

I wouldn't be framing those stats and putting them on the wall. They aren't great

It would be interesting to compare his stats with the others at his stage of their careers.  Also it's a bit irrelevant given the team around him and the others, and who's inside. 

Everyone expects him to run over people everytime he runs the ball.  Whilst he is big, do we expect some of the front rowers to run over people time they hit the ball up? 

Garts link said:
Everyone expects him to run over people everytime he runs the ball.  Whilst he is big, do we expect some of the front rowers to run over people time they hit the ball up? 

The fact is that he often sends the first tackler cartwheeling with his fend, which makes him an easier target for the other defenders.

DSM5 link said:
It would be interesting to compare his stats with the others at his stage of their careers.  Also it's a bit irrelevant given the team around him and the others, and who's inside. 

DSM, Here are Manu Vatuvei's 2007 stats

Games 23
Tries 10
LineBreaks 12
Offloads 24
Tackle Breaks 67
Runs 9.7
Metres 103.9
Errors 31

Not a hell of a lot different to where Tony is at now

Dan link said:
I wouldn't be framing those stats and putting them on the wall. They aren't great

I would think these stats put him in the top five wingers in the NRL.  Everyone is keen to bag T-Rex, but they do it when we lose, and are silent when we win.

Think of were Manu was 12-18 months ago.

Tony Williams is younger than these other wingers and is still growing, lol.
he makes more tackle breaks than morris and vatuvei,more offloads than uate and tuquiri,makes only 1 line break less than vatuvei,and makes less errors than all of the others .Also i bet most players would rather play with T-Rex than against him and get cartwheeled by one of his devastating fends . he squats grown man off like flies . The boy has potential, he is getting better and will continue to do so

BOZO link said:
Tony Williams is younger than these other wingers and is still growing, lol.
he makes more tackle breaks than morris and vatuvei,more offloads than uate and tuquiri,makes only 1 line break less than vatuvei,and makes less errors than all of the others .Also i bet most players would rather play with T-Rex than against him and get cartwheeled by one of his devastating fends . he squats grown man off like flies . The boy has potential, he is getting better and will continue to do so

If we keep him, in years to come the Lyon/T-rex combo will become legend.  Killer has a knack for positioning the wrecking ball in the corner; thats only going to get better.

Garts link said:

That's what I think too, when the defenders takes him around the legs he's not going to keep running.

Maybe T-rex's stats would be better if the forwards did something silly,like,I don't know-GO F*****G FORWARD!!!!!!!!Maybe then the halves can get a roll on,and the backs will reap the benefits!!

Bar monday night, Trex has been improving every game.
Give him some more time, its still very early days in his career.

I really rate T Rex... but Monday he really frustrated me.

Its as if hes only at 50%. He doesnt try hard enough or have the passion to succeed any further.

He has the capabilities to be one of the most feared wingers like Vatuvei has become... Warriors fans werent that impressed with his inconsistencies either at the start.. but they love him now.

I just think he can be twice the player hes showing.. he shows glimpses.. but he just needs to try harder at times.. more urgency.. harder and direct runs.. etc.

Not many players have so much debate over them
For TRex i just wish he could have a brain transplant with Dell or atleast not be so ****ing nervous all the time,im gunna start calling him our dark tweak (southpark refference)

I think he attracts so much critique only because we ALL see his potential, and he falls way short of it. 
If only he would believe what his Coach says we would be happily cheering instead of jeering ever time he is getting the ball or facing a running opponent.

Tony we want to see you shine for Manly - step up pleeeease!

CLIT COMMANDER link said:
[quote author=BOZO link=topic=184475.msg281560#msg281560 date=1280917015]
the wrecking ball

Great description, Commander.

Gone is T-Rex, Enter The Wrecking Ball

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10