Tonight's Public Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jono

Bencher
(Please Note: This is pretty long)

Ok, as all of you know I bleed Maroon and White for the Manly club, just like you all do. I believe in the colours, the emblem and the Manly Sea Eagles. No player, coach, CEO or Board member is above the colours and, if they bring the colours and the team into disrepute then it doesn’t matter how good they are, they don’t deserve to be a part of the club I love and believe in.

As some of you may or may not know, I am a member of the Liberal Party as well so tonight for me to go to the Public Forum for the local candidates at the upcoming State Election was two-fold: First and foremost, to represent the colours and Manly in their cause to stay at Brookvale once and for all, and 2) support my party candidates. As I was going anyways I decided, as the other Manly fans there did, to wear my colours with pride.

When the event was handed to the floor for questions Des got up and asked about the funding for Brookvale Oval. Brad decided to answer the question because he will be the Planning Minister and he is also the Member for Wakehurst (which Brookvale Oval sits in). What we found out is that, since we received the $6 Million from the State Government (of which he helped negotiate with Morris Iemma for back in 2009) the club has not been in conversation with the State MP’s about the issue. THIS IS 2 YEARS!! Now, there are 2 reasons for this: The first is that Brad was lying. I didn’t see any reason why he would, and have Mike personally interject and back him up on this if he was. Also, Zorba didn't deny it, but we'll get to that shortly. The other reason is that the club, rightly so, decided to move onto the Federal Government (Tony Abbott and Co.) but, because the Liberal Party didn’t get Government, they were back to square one and basically didn’t want to go the hard yards and negotiate with Julia Gillard and Anthony Albanese. Now they were back asking for help, and fair enough.

Brad and Mike gave a fair answer. They told the club that the door is always open and that they are always and will always be welcome to come and have a chat. Unfortunately tonight they couldn’t do much as they hadn’t heard from them in 2 years so they didn’t have any plans. I’ll agree with them on this completely, as tonight we heard an idea to have a Trust control the ground instead of the Council (like the SCG Trust or the Parramatta Trust). I had never heard of this plan until tonight and the MP’s first heard about it a few days ago. I think this is a fantastic idea but it sounds like an idea that the Club thought up at the last minute and brought it out tonight. To Mike and Brad’s credit they too were very enthusiastic about the idea…

Now, we get to what this post is about: when Brad had completed the answer to Des’s question a couple of people from the back started heckling the MP’s. I didn’t turn around but we all knew they were Manly fans and were bringing the name of the club and, most importantly, the fans there in the maroon and white, down. We were being tarred with the same brush by the gutter-trash rudeness from the back.

Next, Zorba got up to refute what had been said. Not once did he mention that they had been in contact with them over the past 2 years. He started on a stats rave and then when Mike and Brad wouldn’t promise anything other than listening to their ideas and talking about the Trust (which I will mention again is a fantastic idea), the heckling started again. This time I looked back and it was none other than Zorba himself, Brendan Donohoe and Wendy Harmer.

The actions of these three were down right disgusting. It was brutish to the point where they took us all down with them and we were being tied to them and their behaviour at the back of the room. I have never been so embarrassed for the club in my entire life because of their utter disrespect. They showed us up in front of the people that we need to support us to be brutes, abusive and rude. Tonight, their actions have made the cause worse, not better. The hard work of so many people was ruined in one moment of stupidity from 3 idiots.

They bullied MP’s that deserve our respect. Even if they were Labor MP’s I WOULD STILL BE EMBARRASSED!! I would still show respect as well.

Tonight, I got home and I had to make a decision: Do I slide this under the carpet and forget about it, or do I stand by my morals and values to always respect your fellow man? I decided that I would never cower from my morals and values and I decided to make this post.

There is a better way to do it. I would have said the following: “Liberal MP’s, firstly I would like to thank the hard work you did 2 years ago to negotiate $6 Million for our Oval from a State Government that quite clearly doesn’t realize that this area exists. It has been extremely helpful and we are grateful. However, it isn’t enough to keep us at Brookvale. We need more and the Federal Government at this time won’t help. I would like to ask, what ideas do you have for Brookvale Oval, and can you help in any way to get us the $10 million we so rightly deserve?” Also, I would advise them of some ideas, like Des did tonight. I would take their answer, call them in the morning and work out a meeting with them and hopefully Barry with an opportunity to possibly have a package by March 26th. Now that is very unlikely due to their actions. Well Done!! *clap *clap *clap.

I was embarrassed to be there in the colours I so dearly love and it has made me think second about going to an event to represent the club in my colours, especially if those 3 are involved as I don’t want to be linked to them or anything they have their grubby mitts on. I think the sealer is this: 2 things happened: 1) Mike actually said that he wonders whether he can take his kids to see the footy anymore as he’ll just be hated out of the park; and 2) I convinced my mum to come to the event in Manly colours. This is the first Manly thing she has gone to. She was so disgusted that she will never do it again, and neither will I. It’s a sorry sight when the actions of few create so much damage. Well Done!!!

By the end of all of this the Manly Daily asked one more question about Brookvale Oval. This got boos from everyone else. These people we are supposed to get on our side and we made a joke of ourselves. It got so bad that Brad then said the following in a frustrated tone: “don’t forget that Tony lost the Election so it's Julia Gillard, a Labor leader that you should go to. Why don’t you, get Linda Beattie (Labor Candidate for Wakehurst) to get you your money, from Julia?” This got the biggest cheer of the night, including from myself. I was sick and tired of being represented by the jokes at the back.

You all know I love this club. You all know I bleed maroon and white. I have spent thousands of dollars on home and away trips, I have spent countless hours writing chants and promoting them at games, I even started the coaster trend and Sharks Leagues. I have never bad mouthed an official at the club. Until tonight I have been very loyal. I love this club and I am not leaving…so this is what’s going to happen:

1) The club representatives should contact the local members before the election, mend the wounds and get a meeting with the future Premier. Discuss the plans for this Trust and get things moving before the Councils get their Planning powers back.
2) Zorba, I have stood by you for years. Within 2 hours you lost my complete faith in you as PR manager. You stuffed up the Sponsorship launch, and then you were a part of that exhibition. You really are a piece of work and I don’t want you representing me or my club. Its time that you go, so I’ll be calling for the removal of Zorba as PR manager at the Manly Sea Eagles.
3) I am calling for Wendy Harmer to be removed from the Eagles Angels. Wendy has taken the hard work of those wonderful women to bring women to the Sea Eagles back to square one.
4) Finally, Vince De Luca and the other members of Warringah Council that oppose our cause, you are now on notice. Pick up your act and get behind the club or prepare to lose your seats in 2012.

As for Des, you are lucky I didn’t see you heckling and that you have a soft voice, as I would be calling for your head as well. As I said, it doesn’t matter how good you are, you ring disrespect to the colours you are not welcome.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I might have put my foot in it but I don’t care. I love my club, I love my Party and the members that represent it, I love the multitudes of people who I have made friends with through the Sea Eagles, some of whom were sitting beside me tonight displaying their colours as I was. On behalf of the maroon and white I apologise for the actions of few. We didn’t deserve that display tonight. Most of all, the players didn’t deserve that either.

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to the start of the season. GO YOU MIGHTY EAGLES!!  

You ask for everyone and your bound to get some idiots

This is why protests inevitably end in violence,surely your
precious libs would know this (I vote for who deserves it,i
dont blindly follow any party as i vote for people)

I dont think the fellow manly fans you spent about half
an hour insulting are actually bad,i think they are more
disillusioned with our chances of having anything but a
dilapidating stadium,booing isnt the best idea when your
at anyones personal circle jerk but after years of Howard's
ignorance on brookvale can you really blame them after all
Howard done nothing for one of his most stable seats in
the country,one of the seats that will never be lost to labour

I'll leave you with a thought,imagine our country run by
a man who thought wifi broadband was a good idea....
the bloke might be a fellow manly fan,he might be a top
bloke to but he is an imbecile,as one famous liberal found
you should research what your pushing before pushing it
as an election issue (Remember that moron who didnt know
if candles on a cake would be GST effected? LOL)

You cannot hold a protest and not expect rogue agents on
your side,its what i call the ****wit factor (Snide comments
will not bait me,that game has gotten old) and the ****wit
factor is as true as rule 34,no exceptions

I wasn't there this evening, and a good thing too. By the sounds of it the behavior of a few brutish fans (And more disturbingly club employees) was exactly the opposite of what we needed and expect.

What we have as a club in our history and achievements is something to be proud of and equally something to live up to. Having read your report I would be surprised if anyone in the incoming government would put their necks on the line for Brookvale.

As for Mark feeling that he couldn't come to the football, tell him that if he does I will stand nearby and keep the idiots away.

I guess I can only apologize for those among us who would behave in such a brutish manner. It is a real pity.

I for one will be writing to the candidates in question, expressing my thoughts on the issue. Letting them know that I do not want to be represented by people who would treat them that way and asking them to provide whatever help they can possibly provide.

As to the idea of a trust, that sounds fantastic, especially if planning permissions for extensions/renovations would then be given by state authorities and bypass the council.

I steer well clear of questioning club officials, I know well that they do a job I am well short of the ability to do myself. That said I don't think it is unreasonable to hold our clubs management to a level of behavior well in excess of what you report here.

I can not wait to hear the reports of others at the event.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1298915192[/time]

Shane link said:
You ask for everyone and your bound to get some idiots

This is why protests inevitably end in violence,surely your
precious libs would know this (I vote for who deserves it,i
dont blindly follow any party as i vote for people)

I dont think the fellow manly fans you spent about half
an hour insulting are actually bad,i think they are more
disillusioned with our chances of having anything but a
dilapidating stadium,booing isnt the best idea when your
at anyones personal circle jerk but after years of Howard's
ignorance on brookvale can you really blame them after all
Howard done nothing for one of his most stable seats in
the country,one of the seats that will never be lost to labour

I'll leave you with a thought,imagine our country run by
a man who thought wifi broadband was a good idea....
the bloke might be a fellow manly fan,he might be a top
bloke to but he is an imbecile,as one famous liberal found
you should research what your pushing before pushing it
as an election issue (Remember that moron who didnt know
if candles on a cake would be GST effected? LOL)

You cannot hold a protest and not expect rogue agents on
your side,its what i call the f**kwit factor (Snide comments
will not bait me,that game has gotten old) and the f**kwit
factor is as true as rule 34,no exceptions

Shane, this shouldn't be about politics. It should be about common decency. While I agree that every group has its ugly fringe, it is hardly unreasonable to expect the management of the club to be held to higher account.  Further more, this was hardly a 'protest', the men in question have not been in power for 12 years - they were meeting with the community as a way of connecting with their constituents, something they are not required to do and would certainly be less likely to wish upon themselves in the future.

Jono, I have never voted Liberal and always put them last in any ballot.  However, they will be the next government in NSW, so any club member, including those who work for the club, would be stupid to not realize this and act accordingly.  We will be looking for Liberal support to have any money spent on Brookvale, and Zorba and his mates should know this.  To antagonize this incoming government, especially the incoming treasurer, is just idiotic.  It's my belief that the mantra, 'nobody likes us, we don't care', is outdated and inevitably destructive.  To have the NSW government 'not like us' is just suicidal.  Penn is at fault here, so it's little wonder Zorba went along for the ride.  Time for him to go.       

will be anticipating posts from others there to get there opinions
would love to hear a response from Peters & Harmer and maybe others from the club themselves,

Oh & lets see how long that MSG on the site about the meeting stays up

Unfortunaely I couldnt make last night due to a fmaily member being in hospital - if this is true then it is like Lowe's threat to move to Manly Oval - poor thought out and executed.

It is concerning

Harmer & Zorba both have shows on radio so if they are as passionate as they seem to be why are they not doing more to promote the Sea Eagle brand, they both would have connections instead of the above mentioned garbage they came up with

I was there last night too, as a Manly fan but not as a supporter of any particular political party.

I can back up what Jono said, the way Zorba and a few of those around him came across was not doing us any favours, it made us look like a bunch of idiots, not the well run business we should be aiming to be.

Thanks for the summary Jono.

The heckling by Zorba, Brendan Donohoe (who is he?) and Wendy Harmer is an absolute disgrace to our club.  

Do they really think that these MP's are now going to give us any money for brookie now that they have been heckled and embaressed publicly by people closely associated with the club?

I think not and in fact the opposite will probably now occur.  It only confirms what were are now all thinking that the club is run unprofessionally.  

No wonder we cannot get money to upgrade the oval or a major sponsor.  They probably fear being heckled by club officials or punched out by first grade players.  

Massive changes need to be made to the clubs admin or Penn can kiss his money goodbye (and qantum).

Jono - are we correct to assume that the club has done nothing for 2 years to obtain more money for Brookie?  No approach to any labor party members?

DSM5 link said:
Jono, I have never voted Liberal and always put them last in any ballot.  However, they will be the next government in NSW, so any club member, including those who work for the club, would be stupid to not realize this and act accordingly.  We will be looking for Liberal support to have any money spent on Brookvale, and Zorba and his mates should know this.  To antagonize this incoming government, especially the incoming treasurer, is just idiotic.  It's my belief that the mantra, 'nobody likes us, we don't care', is outdated and inevitably destructive.  To have the NSW government 'not like us' is just suicidal.  Penn is at fault here, so it's little wonder Zorba went along for the ride.  Time for him to go.        

Way to go Zorba! Another reason to retire the dinosaur. No professionalism at the club is highlighted by Jono's post.

Now having said that, there is no way the liberals will fork out any cash towards Brookie and to think otherwise is dillusional.

Brookie is smack in the middle of safe liberal seats, and with all due respect Jono, we won't see any more money coming soon.

The only seats that get money thrown at them are the marginal seats.

swoop link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=186590.msg318740#msg318740 date=1298923198]
Jono, I have never voted Liberal and always put them last in any ballot.  However, they will be the next government in NSW, so any club member, including those who work for the club, would be stupid to not realize this and act accordingly.  We will be looking for Liberal support to have any money spent on Brookvale, and Zorba and his mates should know this.  To antagonize this incoming government, especially the incoming treasurer, is just idiotic.  It's my belief that the mantra, 'nobody likes us, we don't care', is outdated and inevitably destructive.  To have the NSW government 'not like us' is just suicidal.  Penn is at fault here, so it's little wonder Zorba went along for the ride.  Time for him to go.        

Now having said that, there is no way the liberals will fork out any cash towards Brookie and to think otherwise is dillusional.

Brookie is smack in the middle of safe liberal seats, and with all due respect Jono, we won't see any more money coming soon.

[/quote]

Then how come Iemma gave us $6m? 

If I was a liberal MP in this area how good would everyone treat me in the area for the rest of my life if I was known as the person who gave council the money to upgrade brookie oval?

Just ask Oakshott and windsor how their electorate now treats them.

Iemma gave $6m to the council for Brookie Oval, I havent actually seen $6 spent, have you?

Jono great post mate. Posts like that are what this site was built on and I would love to see a return of many more like it

How many years has Abott been liberal member in the area? Exactly and thats why the libs got booed. People do not differentiate between state and federal very well (even fatty ofarrel cant work it out) so after that many years of neglect they deserved it just look at Kogerah.

Jono, at your next meeting can you ask why state labor gave money to a liberal stronghold seat but the fed libs gave nothing when in power for so many years? Would love to know the answer.

Keneally should get on board with her uncle and the local labor candidate and put an additional $10 million on the table should they retain power. Might be enough to shake up the electorate a little and get something happening.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1298932566[/time]

Dan link said:
Iemma gave $6m to the council for Brookie Oval, I havent actually seen $6 spent, have you?

Jono great post mate. Posts like that are what this site was built on and I would love to see a return of many more like it

You need to be eating sandwiches in the revamped presidents lounge to see the money

tookey link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186590.msg318768#msg318768 date=1298930963]
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=186590.msg318740#msg318740 date=1298923198]

[/quote]

Then how come Iemma gave us $6m?  

[/quote]

Kerry Sibraa

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/kerry-sibraa-life-member-of-sea-eagles-quits-club/

Jono stated there hasn't been any contact with mp's for 2 years. Is it just a coincidence that it was 2 years ago that Sibraa quit?

Fluffy link said:
How many years has Abott been liberal member in the area? Exactly and thats why the libs got booed. People do not differentiate between state and federal very well (even fatty ofarrel cant work it out) so after that many years of neglect they deserved it just look at Kogerah.

Jono, at your next meeting can you ask why state labor gave money to a liberal stronghold seat but the fed libs gave nothing when in power for so many years? Would love to know the answer.

Keneally should get on board with her uncle and the local labor candidate and put an additional $10 million on the table should they retain power. Might be enough to shake up the electorate a little and get something happening.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1298932566[/time]

[quote author=Dan link=topic=186590.msg318773#msg318773 date=1298932308]

You need to be eating sandwiches in the revamped presidents lounge to see the money
[/quote]

The Libs were booed by 3 people. Those 3 people and the club were booed by everyone else. Therefore Fluff you are completely incorrect that it had anything to do with Tony Abbott. The rest were angry with the club, not supporting us. This was due to how the 3 mentioned above behaved. However, I will ask at the next meeting on behalf of all of you here. I too would like to know why we didn't get anything.

And Swoop is correct: it was all Kerry Sibraa's work and Brad acknowledged this several times last night. That's why, even though he is on the other side of politics, I love the guy and everything he has done for us.

The rest of your posts I will reply to tonight as I should get back to work ;)

The state Lib MP's shouldn't be blamed/heckled because of Abbott's lack of funding.  If they were booing Abbott himself then I would agree but the MP's who attended have been in oppostion for so long they don't have any power to get us any funds.

FMD, as interesting as it may be, I'll wait for this thread to come out in paperback before having a read.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6