Tommy-should we give him the rest of the season off?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Leader of the Flock

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just a question I’ve been pondering.

If, as many are saying, we can’t make the 8; I think we can but it’ll only be at number 8, if lots of results go our way, and probably an early exit from the finals; I’ll be very happy to be proven wrong on the early exit; should we save our strike weapon for next year?

Tom is still a young man, he’s had a history of hamstring injuries and seems to have an ongoing problem; he started playing with the big boys at a reasonably young age(yes, I know the old adage of “If you’re good enough, you’re old enough”) and may not have been physically developed enough to withstand the rigours of 1st grade in the NRL.

Personally, I didn’t stop physicality developing until I was about 23-24; men can continue to develop until they’re about 25, I’ve been informed. True, you might be tall as a kid, and Tom is quite tall, but you may not be really filled out or physically tough; as my Dad used to say “ a kid might be tall but he doesn’t have any gristle on him”, i.e. he hasn’t grown into a man yet.

We often see young players being injured early in their careers but after they mature slightly they can seem to withstand the physical rigours of 1st grade more easily.

So, should we put Tommy’s longer term physical health and development before Manly’s, and our own, short term wants and needs? Let him have a good spell in the fattening paddock and really come back next year, super-fit and strong.

Just my thoughts and I’m going to guess, many won’t support them.

If we lose to Souths, send him to The Entrance for a nice holiday.

If we win, we might actually need him @:D

If it's ACL injuries he's having, I'd be more worried, but with hammy's, they're not going to take 6-9 months to recover from so get him out there once fit. It's not like he'll miss the start of next season if he goes down again.

Last edited:
He'd never agree to simply being rested the rest of the year anyway.......plus, what a terrible message it would send to the rest of the squad.

Play him and cross our fingers and toes he finally has an injury free run

Last edited:
I say play him .I would rather he get re injured for us than Fitler If we rest him it wont stop Fitler from picking him for SOO if he is deemed fit .And I dont know if Manly would have any say in resting him and training him until next year so he can play a season for Manly rather than go and break his hamstrings again in SOO and we are again the losers
I dont really give a you know what about SOO TBH .I want Manly to win !!

If there were concerns about load management, play him in the centres or second row (that one is for you, @Woodsie). Otherwise, as others have said, if he is fit he plays.

I agree play him ... unless the medicos can argue there is a treatment or a case for an extended break ...

I say Play him when he is fit but not try to bring him back early.
He needs to play when fit. He could just as easily go down game 1 next year.

Season's gone. Cant see Manly making the finals, four points shy of 8th and with a dreadful point differential. Only six games left and two of those are against the Rabbits and Storm. Turbo wont be back in time for those. My feeling is give the youngsters a go in preparation for 2021. Delaying them further is a waste of experience, and when next year starts we'll still be in the same predicament in that they wont have played in the Reggies. And even then we cant be sure the Reggies will start next year. A fresh Turbo and Walker, maybe Fainu and we start the year off on the right foot.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4