Tom V Jake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

rifraff

Bencher
Which one will be more influential to Manly and why?

Two rare players but probably my bias to the forwards would push Jake ahead for me.

Tough decision though and hope it never comes down to choosing one over the other ...

I think Jake as well just because I think the last year showed us if the pack isn't winning the team won't either. Jake is going to make sure our pack is winning for the next decade.

he looks lighter but he is 2Kg heavier than last year so i think it is probably an illusion.

I get the feeling that since Canberra in 2013 he has lost a lot of fat and replaced it kilo for kilo with muscle.

I think most of us like what we see with the size Jake is atm. Does he need to get bigger to get better or will experience make him better?

Wow what a tough one. I hope we build the team around them for the next 10 years and I absolutely love them both.

To me Tommy by a whisker.

Jake has all the attributes to play Origin, Tests and captain any of those teams as well. He has an attitude which belies his youth and I can imagine players in the team ready to throw themselves at brick walls to follow behind Jake.

For Tommy though I believe the sky is the limit. Even last year he looked so comfortable playing 1st grade and this wasn't on the end of a backline where we were smashing teams. I think Tommy also has an enormous amount of upside still too. His passing can improve, so can his kicking which to me for other teams is scary.

I know there's been a lot of hype around Tommy from early on, and people like Matty Johns have commented that leading people around the club for years have said he is the most talented player to EVER come out of the northern beaches. I don't quite know about that, but he is just an exceptional talent who I believe could change the face of the game. And he (like Jake) seems to have an incredible maturity.

you must have seen a different last year to me, I saw a backline that was one of the best in the league with half their forwards on the bench injured and TT caught out many times in positioning in defence.

Dont get me wrong but i can';t agree with your assessment of last year.

you must have seen a different last year to me, I saw a backline that was one of the best in the league with half their forwards on the bench injured and TT caught out many times in positioning in defence.

Dont get me wrong but i can';t agree with your assessment of last year.
Sorry wasn't dissing our backline I phrased that wrong. I meant our team wasn't belting teams and hence he just came onto the wing and picked up tries because we were rolling teams.

I also think he got caught out in a positional sense as wing is not his preferred position and this also alludes to my opinion that he can only get better.

If Manly were forced to release one (hypothetically speaking) I would keep Tom, so it's Tom for me. Pigs pop up here and there and do a job, but a rare talent like Tom comes along once in a generation.

In some ways, Jake or Tommy is apples or oranges.

One is a front rower who does the tough stuff. The other is a fullback who is going to play wing for a year or two.

Tommy is going to be every bit as good as Snake and Wombat in the Manly #1 jumper.

Jake is the best local junior forward we've had since Beaver.

I'd rather just sit back and enjoy the ride like we did with Snake and Gifty.

One is a front rower who does the tough stuff. The other is a fullback who is going to play wing for a year or two.

Tommy is going to be every bit as good as Snake and Wombat in the Manly #1 jumper.

Tommy has the serious potential to be the best junior ever.

Jake is going to be awsome for our forwards in the future no dramas there but its tom for me . When b Stewart retires tommy is the one that has to step up because snake is going to be the hardest to replace . Forwards can cover each other a bit where as the bloke at the back is all alone and thats where tom comes into it .

Wow what a tough one. I hope we build the team around them for the next 10 years and I absolutely love them both.

To me Tommy by a whisker.

Jake has all the attributes to play Origin, Tests and captain any of those teams as well. He has an attitude which belies his youth and I can imagine players in the team ready to throw themselves at brick walls to follow behind Jake.

For Tommy though I believe the sky is the limit. Even last year he looked so comfortable playing 1st grade and this wasn't on the end of a backline where we were smashing teams. I think Tommy also has an enormous amount of upside still too. His passing can improve, so can his kicking which to me for other teams is scary.

I know there's been a lot of hype around Tommy from early on, and people like Matty Johns have commented that leading people around the club for years have said he is the most talented player to EVER come out of the northern beaches. I don't quite know about that, but he is just an exceptional talent who I believe could change the face of the game. And he (like Jake) seems to have an incredible maturity.
Tommy is a freak,so smooth but too young to rate him the best to come out of the area yet,anyone remember Alex Tennant,he was a local that had his career cut short

Last edited:
A

Agree mate
With DCE ( who we some times forget is a potential superstar in his own right ) and Walker in and around the action I can see a number pretty lethal and amazing packages of play ahead

Oh ....and other players that can play a bit every now & then in snake and killer will ensure we score from all parts of the ground

Have I forgotten anyone ...,,,only the rest of our whole fucn side

Yeaha go manly

Hard to pick and also very early to decide. Tom has so much potential but i have a feeling Jake will be the player that when the chips are down will inspire the team to lift... So glad we have both to admire, hopefully for a long time in Manly colours :)

INteresting to note about Jake...I have seen that a few people question whether he looks too slim for An NRL prop at the moment, and that he's lost too much weight. He's listed as being 185cm, or 6"1'...the same height as Luke O'Donnell. Looking at the pic of them standing together here at the 9s (once you get past the size of O'Donnell's calf muscles), he is clearly a lot taller than that. I'm guessing he's grown a lot taller in the past year.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBdzqstFrV_/

From what I've seen so far, it would be Jake easily. He now has fantastic runs on the board.

I really like what I've seen from Tommy but Will Hopoate had shown a lot more quality than he has at the same age and I feel that a lot of us are getting caught up in the hype. I'll never forget Will's round 2 try against Newcastle in 2011 when he pushed 2 large Polynesians back about 10 metres to score an amazing try. Or that crazy dive to score a try in the very corner for NSW, in the only match they won that year. And wasn't he the one who threw an amazing flick back on the inside for Lyon to score in the GF?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8