Andrew Webster | August 20, 2008 http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/wigan-poised-to-pounce-as-manly-lose-interest/2008/08/19/1218911717894.html TROUBLED halfback Todd Carney appears destined to salvage his broken career with Super League powerhouse Wigan - but he has already beenÂ to a return to the NRL as a possible replacement for Manly captain Matt Orford. It is understood that Carney is close to finalising a one-year deal to resume playing in England after being cut adrift by the Raiders earlier this month after a string of alcohol-fuelled incidents. But there is increasing speculation he is already in the Sea Eagles' sights beyond 2009 - although chief executive Grant Mayer denied last night he had discussed any move with Carney's management. "There's no room for him [under the salary cap]," Mayer said. "If Todd wanted to come to Manly after 2009, it could only be as a second-tier player [on a minimum of $50,000]. After 2009, we have back-ended contracts that take up too much under the cap for us to sign a player who is worth $400,000 a year Ã¢Â€Â¦ Todd Carney is not on our radar." The Sea Eagles would have ample funds if they decided not to renew Orford's contract when his lucrative four-year deal ends after next season. It is believed the 30-year-old halfback is keen to play another two seasons in the NRL before heading to England. Mayer has not started discussions with Orford and his manager George Mimis about extending his deal beyond 2009. Along with Penrith, the Sea Eagles were one of the hot favourites for Carney's signature earlier this year and had tabled an offer similar to the $1.6 million deal that convinced him to stay at Canberra. After missing out on Carney, they invested heavily in Knights utility Chris Bailey and giant Parramatta winger Tony Williams. Carney is strongly tipped to sign with Wigan, possibly as soon as this week. The club's chief executive Ian Lenegan has already said he is interested in signing the 22-year-old despite his behaviour off the field. But it is understood Carney wants only a one-year deal so he can return to Australia for family reasons. And NRL chief executive David Gallop, who said he would refuse to register Carney next year if he found another club, has left the door open for a return in 2010 - despite pressure from the Raiders to ban him from playing in the NRL for longer. "[But] he would have to show that he has made significant inroads into his issues if he was to return from 2010," Gallop said last night.