To much structure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Turbo

Bencher
Matt Elliot believes TB new structure in defence and attack is what is causing our problems. I think he is right you don't see DCE or walker running at gaps very much and Lyon and Matai are struggling with the new defensive structure, thoughts?

Where's TC when you need him - just don't mention the antidepressants this Manly squad is forcing us to swallow by the handful!

This was my gripe all last season; no flair; too much safety first football; no off-loads, no playing the man in front of them; no scrum moves. Why, even most of our kick offs go to exactly the same spot.
The Tigers showed us up by moving the ball.
We are breeding robotic players and have stifled those with guile and a spirit of adventure by tackle counts and the mantra: complete your sets.
I had hoped that the Walker Brothers at Ipswich would have inspired other coaches to dare to be different. Alas, no. And TB has not brought anything new as yet.

Elliott has a point to a degree - especially with the speed of the modern game.
He also has it very wrong.
The fact is - you don't just build a new team & get them playing by their own design & just hope players pop up in the right places....it will be a case of poor completions & field position & getting pants pulled down ALL day running around like headless chooks & being burn't out after 40 minutes....
The idea of structure is to have a basic game plan so that every player knows their responsibility & regardless of fatigue, injuries ect - have a plan to fall back on....this provides the confidence & cohesion to build on.
The brilliance that Manly now has individually is up with the best, after a platform is built & this is where Elliott is right.
Over time working out each others play - which comes from game time - the shackles can come off & unleash the inner footy ability to unlock these various defensive patterns which vary each week.
The top teams come round 26 will be those teams that play the best unstructured footy, but with the backbone of a basic structure to fall back on.

This was my gripe all last season; no flair; too much safety first football; no off-loads, no playing the man in front of them; no scrum moves. Why, even most of our kick offs go to exactly the same spot.
The Tigers showed us up by moving the ball.
We are breeding robotic players and have stifled those with guile and a spirit of adventure by tackle counts and the mantra: complete your sets.
I had hoped that the Walker Brothers at Ipswich would have inspired other coaches to dare to be different. Alas, no. And TB has not brought anything new as yet.
Ipswich! Are you kidding? Biggest load of ****e I've ever seen . You must be a Sunday morning touch player

What we are seeing is a form of structured defense. Want a tip? It's complete crap.

Don't worry about TC. He'd agree.

Ipswich! Are you kidding? Biggest load of ****e I've ever seen . You must be a Sunday morning touch player
They won the Qld Cup then beat the NSW Cup champions by playing brilliant running RL. Then had 5-6 of their best players pinched by NRL clubs.

If we are referring to defensive structures it will change in a big way with Snakes communication from the back....& the space teams are finding wide is failure to dominate the tackle...especially in the forwards....energy, line speed, communication & confidence....it's not really a surprise Barrett has structures, all coaches at the highest level use them...& most take time to work effectively.

About eight years ago, all of the critics used to RAVE about our "structured" SLIDING defence. No other team got us "three on two" then...

I guess that it boils down to: there is GOOD structure and BAD structure. Who designs the type of structure that we employ?

We're always worse without Snake. Our win record without him is pretty average. Our defence and attack will both improve when he is back, hopefully this week!

What we are seeing is a form of structured defense. Want a tip? It's complete crap.

Don't worry about TC. He'd agree.
No point having structure if you can't compete at the advantage line be it in defence or go forward.

Too many bracing for a tackle moments and not initiating contact, not enough running with straight hard running intent from the forwards.

All this talk in the past about speedy hookers who put the defensive line around the ruck in two minds to generate go forward all last year is not the be all and end all of creating go forward----it has some merit but you still need good simple powerful forwards to create a conducive environment for such a hooker to flourish.

Now the above are overly simplistic observations to keep it simple but until we address the above, structure is pointless because we are not competing in the grind anyway.

I'm the biggest fan of attacking structure where each player knows their role and allowing individual flair to flourish from structured plays or is secondary to structure to break the shackles when things are tight.

The teams that win comps have power, controlled aggression and structure, a good attitude goes a long way in solving defensive issues along with winning the middle.

The majority of the last GF winners over the past 5 years or so Cowboys,Souths,Roosters,Manly all incorporated the above along with Melbourne obviously having the structure but falling behind in the forwards as the years have gone by.

Once we start competing up the middle and in the grind we can then move on to developing more open structured ballplaying in each set to generate softer go forward metres---for now we have to focus on intensity and intent in all areas just to get to the competing level.

Top 8 requires a good mix of the above attributes, top 4 has enhanced structures and power with a touch of classy individual flair to separate them from the pack.

Until we compete at the grind and up the middle we are wasting our time as the consistency in performance will not hold up. The odd flourish of wins to get the hopes up then back to earth again when you have no foundation or the right forward mix to generate confident repetitive consistency.

Bozo and Zorba have turned this great club around....Its a results driven business.....fark off, Me personally thinks there is a lot of **** still inside, only difference to last year is its NOW not in the media.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6