To compete for the 2019 premiership we'll need a desperate change

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

It's been a great season, and we know we can leave proud, but 2019 isn't over yet. After injuries over the last two weeks have clouded our journey to the premiership, it honestly feels like we have just been dragged under water. We are still alive, but to survive we need to flail our hands around and find something miraculous to cling to. We still have the star players; dce, Walker, AFB, Taupau, Jake Trbo, Fainu, Api and Sironen. However, our backline, although solid with Elliot at fullback, had him in as a way to simply 'get by' until Trbojevic returns. Bad news is, he won't be returning this time.

We have to put out a backline that has the spark to go on a run and threaten sides. The spine is never more important than it is in finals games. If we choose the obvious choice, moving Elliot to fullback, we will struggle to generate enough points. We need to risk it all to make sure we don't sink and Elliot showed during the back-end of the season that he can do a solid job in the centres. Garrick had great positioning vs the storm (mostly), he has the pace, the natural movement of a fullback and can be just the miracle we need. Keppie is a potential bench-risk we could take, Perrett if we think he's not ready. Personally would rather T-rex but that's unlikely. The below finals team (presuming Thompson won't return) is a risk, although if they fire can still threaten the top teams IMO (in a dry track). Garrick has also been rushing in far too often, and Suli will benefit from less defensive responsibility. Our forwards have to be immense to be any chance. 2019 isn't as dead as it seems, we are tough enough that's for sure.

1. Reuben Garrick
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brendon Elliot/Dylan Walker
4. Brad Parker
5. Moses Suli
6. Dylan Walker/Cade Cust
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Apisai Koroisau (needs much less minutes)
10. Martin Taupau
11. Curtis Sironen
12. Jack Gosiewski
13. Jake Trbojevic
Bench: Manese Fainu, Corey Waddell, Taniela Paseka (huge role), Sean Keppie/Trex (my choice if cleared, otherwise Perrett)

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much disruption in the backline for mine.

Elliot in for Turbo end of story. Des’ job is to extract max output and see how long they can sustain it. I say we fall short at the QF. Im sure 100% of us would have taken a game short of the GF at the start of the season.
It is a risk. Guess we'll see if we can go far enough this week!

Like the post Harry but I can’t see it happening. I also thought initially Reubs to 1 was a good option and would be happy to see him in there. Elliot has really turned his career around imo and plays good footy (just needs to bloody pass). Even without Tom we still have threats through the middle and great support players. Parra will be complacent this week and I think we get them. We do that and enter finals with confidence we can win at brookie and who knows!

#winit4turbo

It's been a great season, and we know we can leave proud, but 2019 isn't over yet. After injuries over the last two weeks have clouded our journey to the premiership, it honestly feels like we have just been dragged under water. We are still alive, but to survive we need to flail our hands around and find something miraculous to cling to. We still have the star players; dce, Walker, AFB, Taupau, Jake Trbo, Fainu, Api and Sironen. However, our backline, although solid with Elliot at fullback, had him in as a way to simply 'get by' until Trbojevic returns. Bad news is, he won't be returning this time.

We have to put out a backline that has the spark to go on a run and threaten sides. The spine is never more important than it is in finals games. If we choose the obvious choice, moving Elliot to fullback, we will struggle to generate enough points. We need to risk it all to make sure we don't sink and Elliot showed during the back-end of the season that he can do a solid job in the centres. Garrick had great positioning vs the storm (mostly), he has the pace, the natural movement of a fullback and can be just the miracle we need. Keppie is a potential bench-risk we could take, Perrett if we think he's not ready. Personally would rather T-rex but that's unlikely. The below finals team (presuming Thompson won't return) is a risk, although if they fire can still threaten the top teams IMO (in a dry track). Garrick has also been rushing in far too often, and Suli will benefit from less defensive responsibility. Our forwards have to be immense to be any chance. 2019 isn't as dead as it seems, we are tough enough that's for sure.

1. Reuben Garrick
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brendon Elliot/Dylan Walker
4. Brad Parker
5. Moses Suli
6. Dylan Walker/Cade Cust
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Apisai Koroisau (needs much less minutes)
10. Martin Taupau
11. Curtis Sironen
12. Jack Gosiewski
13. Jake Trbojevic
Bench: Manese Fainu, Corey Waddell, Taniela Paseka (huge role), Sean Keppie/Trex (my choice if cleared, otherwise Perrett)

Nice.

I like Garrick in at fullback, but has he played fullback before as the last 2 weeks of the season may not the time start.

I like Elliott in the centres as he is an excellent defender

I like Suli at wing or even better, get rid of him and replace him with speedster Funa.

I'm completely sold with Walker at 5/8 and think Elliott at fullback can do a job. No wholesale changes for me !!
Yeah I'm sold with Walker there as well. Just thought I'd mention it.

Focus is back on D from this week as was the case earlier in the year when we missed turbo. Our focus will be too much for Parra handle. Just hoping roosters are in a scoring mood to expose souffs who have been undeserving for some weeks

I'd be happy with Garrick at fullback and Elliot on the wing.
Ruebs went pretty well there on Saturday night and we know Elliot can play wing.
Actually I reckon Ruebs would make a class fullback.
I just hope Dessie drills our right side in defence, especially Suli...

Nice.

I like Garrick in at fullback, but has he played fullback before as the last 2 weeks of the season may not the time start.

I like Elliott in the centres as he is an excellent defender

I like Suli at wing or even better, get rid of him and replace him with speedster Funa.
We need Suli in there. His hard runs out of our end have been huge in some big games. He was awful Sat but that wasn’t all him. Toms out disrupted the side and messed up combos. Des will talk to him and he’ll be better out west this Friday.

#winit4turbo

Elliott to fb, minimal disruption to the backs.
Moses will try to bomb our wingers and they've been not too bad so why change?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6