Tipping Competition PM incorrect and other information - please read

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,

I have had a few PM's on this so thought I had better make a post about it to try to cut down on this.

The PM shows the incorrect visual results. In particular for the Manly v Bulldogs game. For some reason it is reading this result from another game and I am looking into this today.

So for some it will be showing as correct when you tipped Manly.

This is just the PM only and there is no need to panic, your actual results and points are correct and you can see this on the leaderboard detail by clicking on your name.

For instance, I tipped Manly in this one, so the PM shows me as correct when in fact I tipped this incorrectly. however looking at the leaderboard this is recorded correctly and the Score within the PM is still correct

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/tipping-competition/Jan-Davis-Memorial-Tipping-Competition-2013/8/2/leaderboard_detail/user.html

Additionally I continue to get questions on the margins, the way these are calculated are a little complicated. However more or less this is how they work.

If you tip the correct team to win by say a margin of 10, and they win by 6, your final margin will be
10 - 6 = 4

If you tipped them to win by 6 and they win by 10, your margin is still
10 - 6 = 4

If you tipped the losing team to win by 6, and they lost by 10, the margin would be.
6 + 10 = 16

and so on. That is probably the best way I can explain it, so basically if you tip the winning team the lower number is subtracted from the higher, if you tip the wrong team your margin is added to the actual margin from the game.

You think it's complicated to explain, you should try writing the code :)

Dan

In example two above I think you mean

If you tipped them to win by 6 and they win by 4, your margin is
6 - 4 = 2

Just to confuse the issue a little more ;)

Lol mate you have lost me with tipping them to win by 6, but they win by 4, the margin is 10-6=4.

If you tip by 6 and they win by 4 it should be 2 shouldn't it ?

Whoops sorry, trying to do too much at once.

What I meant to say was but win by 10.

which is 4. Changing the above post
@"Kiwi Eagle" @"Chip and Chase"

I noticed the incorrect manly v bulldog result but I liked my pm saying that I was correct so after checking the points were ok, I went on smiling wistfully at the pm.

Nice green 'correct' next to the game.

sigh

globaleagle said:
I noticed the incorrect manly v bulldog result but I liked my pm saying that I was correct so after checking the points were ok, I went on smiling wistfully at the pm.

Nice green 'correct' next to the game.

sigh

It is an odd one too because it actually shows correctly for some people but incorrectly for others. I need to look at my code in this instance.

The way this is triggered is actually pretty complex and I have an incling where the error is.

haha I was thinking of some logic that said

less than 6 points (Better luck next weeK)
more than 6 (Great tipping)
perfect round (I hate you!)

:)

Without triggering the PM en masse to update the results I can't really test this in full scale at the moment.

And I dont want to annoy you all with the PM.

As such I have put some debugging and logging in place so that after the results of this round are updated I should be able to pinpoint the exact cause of the issue.

Functionally the code *looks correct, however there are over 100 lines of code in just the PM send part of the tipping comp.

I have an inkling of what might be happening, in that some users are getting other users results because I grab all the tips from the system and iterate through them, when we strike the next user, we send out the PM, then start building the next user PM for some reason this may be grabbing one or two incorrect results.

Dan

Dan said:
haha I was thinking of some logic that said

less than 6 points (Better luck next weeK)
more than 6 (Great tipping)
perfect round (I hate you!)

:)

That be awesome.

Feel free to annoy us with one pm.

yes, I know you wont.

so carry on.

I kind of already have the data in my sent PMs folder however the log will give me a sequential series of events

Love to have a read of those logs one day @Dan, I've been suffering some terrible insomnia of late and they sound like just the cure.

Haha welcome to my world, I spend 90% of my day looking at various log files and trying to figure out just in the bejeezus went wrong.

This log simply writes out the query that was used and then each set of PM's that went out as well as a few other things, that way I can try to match this up to the database to see where the problem may come from

Kiwi Eagle said:
Lol mate you have lost me with tipping them to win by 6, but they win by 4, the margin is 10-6=4.

If you tip by 6 and they win by 4 it should be 2 shouldn't it ?

Do you have to then divide that by the number of tools in a Sidchrome tool kit to get the final margin? :D

The only concern i have about this tipping comp is that Manly win every time !!!

hmm very good point. I hadn't enabled a bonus round. I will do that now and PM everyone
@"Manly To Win!"

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6