time to buy ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mudgeagle

Reserve Grader
ok i know this is a bit silly , but its the time of the year when we buy players for next season , the question is who do we buy and who would we let go to stay under the cap ...,i would like a superstar just to bring out the silvertails but who ?

here is a list that was updated Monday, January 10 2011.

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/playertransfers/tabid/10248/default.aspx

cant seem to find another list atm

Hard to know who to buy till we see where or if there are any weaknesses. I would dare say frontrower but hope Kingy , Kite & big George produce the goods - plus we have a gooden in young Cunningham. Lots depends on how Snake comes back & if Choc can bring back that dynamic form- otherwise a menacing backrower is needed. Also our # 7 - DCE looked good to me but that was Qld Cup - could be dynamite given time.

Manly To Win! link said:
Another centre for sure... our depth is woeful in that position.

Can't agree there.  Centres & wings is the one position where we have truckloads of depth.  Its actually the reason why I think we should have saved the cash and let Matai go last year and invest in a quality prop.  Young Hoppa, Oldfield and Whare.  Three quality youngsters who could all play centre.

Manly To Win! link said:

Really??

Lyon - International centre
Matai - International centre
Whare - Proved he can play at NRL level when fit
Blake Davey - Solid in defense in the trials
Kyle Lodge- Coould be a weapon in the NRL
Michael Oldfield - Can play centre
T Rex - Can play centre

I don't know what your perception of  depth is like but looks like we are in pretty good shape here ;)

If we have depth anywhere it is in the centers... Forwards is where we should look, someone who is a workhorse - hopefully we will get more out of T Williams and Rose as impact forwards.

SwornEagle link said:
[quote author=Manly To Win! link=topic=186745.msg321362#msg321362 date=1299667280]

Really??

Lyon - International centre
Matai - International centre
Whare - Proved he can play at NRL level when fit
Blake Davey - Solid in defense in the trials
Kyle Lodge- Coould be a weapon in the NRL
Michael Oldfield - Can play centre
T Rex - Can play centre

I don't know what your perception of  depth is like but looks like we are in pretty good shape here ;)
[/quote]
Yes, and you forgot Kieren Foran, who made his Test debut at centre.

A high workrate frontrower would be awesome. We look good on the wings and centres and our halves pairing is young and full of potential.

We all seem agreed that front row is a weakness - Easts' poached two of our good young props - so I'd be looking at The Warriors' Under 20 talent. They produce big, tough front rowers who should not be too expensive to temp to sunny Manly. 

How about no one? Didn't last week prove that we don't need to buy big names to be competitive? If we breed our stars internally we shouldn't need to go out and buy anyone.

Jono that's great mate and i agree with you but we are thin in the front row department. With no real prospects in the future. A tope grade front rower and maybe a big second rower such as SBW would make us powerful up front.

I'd agree with you Fonz, a top Front Rower to replace Kitey who will no doubt be heading off to the UK at some point soon.

Fonz link said:
Jono that's great mate and i agree with you but we are thin in the front row department. With no real prospects in the future. A tope grade front rower and maybe a big second rower such as SBW would make us powerful up front.

Bhurer? Harrison? Robinson? TRex? Cunnigham? Lussick? I have to say I haven't been more excited about our future Forwards

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6