Thompson out for the Raiders

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Evo

Capt Goodvibe
Thompson out for the Raiders
9/07/2010 10:21:44 AM

The Canberra Raiders have suffered a blow ahead of tomorrow nights match against the Sea Eagles at Brookvale oval, with centre Joel Thompson ruled out for 2-3 weeks with a groin injury.

Thompson has been one of the best for the Green Machine this year and leads the Raiders try scoring tally with 10 for the season, despite playing in an unfamiliar position in the centres as opposed to his usual place in the back row.

The loss of Thompson sees Adam Mogg move from 18th man for the clash into the centres.

Raiders Coach David Furner said he would also look to use Mogg in a utility role for the match, with hooker Travis Waddell set to get a rest at some stage of the game against Manly.

Waddell is the only recognised hooker available from the top squad at the moment with both Alan Tongue (groin) and Glen Buttriss (ankle) unavailable through injury and Furner said he doesn’t want to risk losing another one through overuse.

“We’ve lost two nines this year so I’m looking at Travis to conserve his energy and try and push him out for 80minutes, but looking at their forward pack and the work he’ll have to do, at some stage he will probably need a spell,” Furner said.

Both Raiders state of Origin stars Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington have been passed fit for the match, with Learoyd-Lahrs declaring himself 100 per cent fit despite picking up a corked thigh on Wednesday night.

“I picked up a cork just before halftime in the game on Wednesday and there was a little bit of a worry post game, but I’ve looked after it and iced it and its feeling pretty good,” Learoyd-Lahrs said. “I’m really looking forward to getting back into regular club football now, the origin period was an exciting thing to be part of and the opportunity was great, but I’m definitely looking forward to the week in week out of club football and hopefully helping the Raiders get some wins.”

Hopefully more of them will break down and we'll run up a big score.  For and against is very important. I trust Des will pound this into their thick skulls. 

Was hoping this would be Joel rather than Troy and it is.

Very good news for us, Joel  has been in excellent form. Very damaging runner and stings in defence, he's only really a make-shift option in the centres but he's done such a good job they weren't able to move him. Canberra will miss him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4