This loss was coming

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This type of loss was always on the cards considering the big 2 months we have had. We went into this game having won 6 of last 7 and the only loss by 1 pt to the bunnies. In this time we have had away games in Townsville, Gold Coast, an epic game in Melbourne and then had to travel to NZ in torrential rain which we are a notoriously bad wet weather team. On top of this the game was allowed to be slowed beyond belief to make it the slowest game ive seen in a decade. I wouldn't read too much in to the loss,there were many contributing factors. Our season starts now, we are sitting outright 5th and have 3 games against top 6 sides and another against a team fighting for a semis spot. I think this is a loss where we can use it to kickstart our next month leading into the semis.

Not so sure about that, I thought we just ran into a Warriors side who played their best game and also they got a few lucky breaks.
Despite that we were clearly up for the match and indeed almost snatched it at the death.
This week's game on the other hand, short turnaround and with a battered squad possibly feeling a bit deflated after the unexpected loss... I fear the Tigers game is the loss which is on the cards and then the challenging task will be to regroup and head to the finals with a bit of form and belief.

This was a concerning game. The first half was a result of poor decision making and a lack of patience. Des must be very very disappointed at another missed opportunity.

This was a concerning game. The first half was a result of poor decision making and a lack of patience. Des must be very very disappointed at another missed opportunity.

I feel like Walker is a good 6 when everything is going our way.
When the pressure is on he does not have the experience to control.

With Parker seemingly out, hoping Croker comes in so we have 2 true halves to direct things.

Thursday's game against the Tigers is an absolute must win! They have been been in good form & will be desperate for a place in the eight.

We haven't beaten any team twice this year* and our last three games are against teams we have beaten already - spells danger.

Unlike the teams above us, we have not won more than three games in a row. Also, unlike the teams above us, I don't think we have yet completely dominated any game for the full 80 minutes. At least, there is a lot of room for improvement still @:)

*except Newcastle - as pointed out in Mitch's post

Last edited:
Thursday's game against the Tigers is an absolute must win! They have been been in good form & will be desperate for a place in the eight.

We haven't beaten any team twice this year and our last three games are against teams we have beaten already - spells danger.

Unlike the teams above us, we have not won more than three games in a row. Also, unlike the teams above us, I don't think we have yet completely dominated any game for the full 80 minutes. At least, there is a lot of room for improvement still @:)

We beat the Knights twice this year so hopefully that cracked the hoodoo!

A bit concerning to see some of our key players apparently carrying injury right now. These guys (Marty, DCE... AFB?) are so important to us that if they can get on the field they have to play, but at less than 100% effectiveness. Now Parker, Siro and Boyle may be hurt?

Hopefully our injured men can come good within the next couple of weeks because I'd far prefer to drop a few games now and then begin an upward surge with a healthy squad just before the finals, rather than limping, more and more busted, towards the end.

The one thing that was evident to me is that we looked a touch tired. The ruck dominance was not there and we were ripe for the picking to be monstered.

I was pleased to see that at least early on, and for much of the second half we looked very structured in attack. This is a Des team through and through.

Combine that with the referee who allowed them to lay all over us it was just too much.

Hard game to watch, so stop and start, wrestle like a Melbourne game, and a tired team. I think it was 3 games in less than 12 days.

Nuff said, on to next week.

NYEagle

The signs were there in the first 50 minutes of the Drugcastle game. The intensity and high of the Melbourne win flattened Manly and it was one good spell of 20 minutes that blew the score out. As much as I hate to admit it, we are aspiring to reach the level of the Drizzle and chooks and put in a total 80 effort consistently. The team is young and has so much improvement in it. All good lessons for the potentially bright seasons ahead.

I’ve read about the loss giving other teams a blueprint to beat us. I tend to see it in another light. We have been given the blueprint of what to do if/when this happens again. So it was up and in pressure, line speed, and the slow down of the ruck from the Warriors, that fuucked us.
So what to do? Firstly we give ourselves more depth in attack. Cut out the crash balls on the advantage line. Secondly, the Warriors were up quick, but particularly their backline was staggered. (Especially Hiku, who I thought had replaced Parker, he was that far up). So that left holes, and what should’ve been either step the player, link up with your outside support, or roll the ball in behind the players (not on first or second plays though!). Once DCE starts the headless chook dance you know he’s off his game.
So basically nothing earth shattering, but once it’s obvious what the opp is doing, we need to be able to go to plan B straight away as a team. We can always go back to our favoured middle third touch footy late in the game, as I believe we are one of the fittest sides going around.

We all have off days .

I have no issue when athletes / teams have off days now and again as this happens . No problems here

The issue becomes a problem when off days become a habit .

Our next game and should put us back on track

We haven’t lost more than two in a row all year and I’m not worried about any form slump or bad habits creeping in at this stage. To be honest the Warriors played the best game I have seen them play all year.

If there was any joint of complacency within the squad that will be well and truly gone and they’ll be up for next week.

We haven't beaten any team twice this year* and our last three games are against teams we have beaten already - spells danger.

*except Newcastle - as pointed out in Mitch's post
Using your logic then, we might beat the Tigers - because they have already beaten Manly.

If I was a Manly team member, I would be taking note of Luke Brooks’s comments in today’s SMH, in the hope that they don’t become a self-fulfilling prophecy at Manly’s expense.

Des will use this loss as a lesson, and not a whipping post.

You’ve all made good points... this loss will not hurt the playing group but strengthen them instead I feel..

The bigger concerns, in my opinion, are guys like Marty and DCE carrying injuries... and the loss of Parker cannot be understated in the impact it could have on our season. It’s upset a combination that was gelling quite nicely there with Walker at 5/8, and I’d rather he stay there in the interim to work on his game in that position, with Elliot coming into the centers rather than Cust to 5/8 and Walker moved out again..

I just hope we dont get another repeat of refs just letting the opposition just hold on for an eternity way after they had called held. It was just pathetic the way they were allowed to repeatedly just hold, and hold, and have hands on the ball then finally put us on our back with 3 defenders lying there.

We are a dry weather side, but the slowing down on top of that was hard to watch. I didn't think we were that bad, created way more opportunities and dominated field position, just got a little razzled with their defence, and didn't build enough pressure with repeat sets. Thought their outside back D was pretty good

I just hope we dont get another repeat of refs just letting the opposition just hold on for an eternity way after they had called held. It was just pathetic the way they were allowed to repeatedly just hold, and hold, and have hands on the ball then finally put us on our back with 3 defenders lying there.

We are a dry weather side, but the slowing down on top of that was hard to watch. I didn't think we were that bad, created way more opportunities and dominated field position, just got a little razzled with their defence, and didn't build enough pressure with repeat sets. Thought their outside back D was pretty good
That we ridiculous how long they were allowed to lay all over us. Let alone keep lifting the legs and moving our players. The writing was on the wall when this happened. Especially when the first penalty was against us for being to slow in the ruck..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6