This could be the answer

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

EDITED**
Been thinking on the side, edited this as initially had Trbo shift to centres and Elliot fullback but now have decided against that.

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Reuben Garrick (what a buy)
3. Moses Suli
4. Dylan Walker
5. Brendon Elliott
6. Trent Hodkinson or Kane Elgey
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic (needs to just focus on running, and then look for attacking plays)
9. Manese Fainu (brought us to life), Api bench
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
11. Martin Taupau (he's been found out at prop)
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Corey Waddell (best forward vs chooks)

14. Apisai Koroisau
15. Joel Thompson
16. Tof Sipley/Taniela Paseka/Morgan Boyle (new signing)
17. Kelepi Tanginoa

Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking on the side and it kinda clicked, why does Tom Trbojevic have to stay fullback? Elliot defused so well I thought in the conditions and with all the stunning kicks thrown his way by Keary. Plays ok in the attacking line, defends gallantly, runs gallantly. Trbo would allow a balanced backline with no need for Parker. This is including Walker although in the meantime we could have Suli centre, Taufua back in the side for a winger. Personally love it, what's the thoughts?

1. Brendon Elliot
2. Reuben Garrick
3. Tom Trbojevic
4. Dylan Walker
5. Moses Suli (has been much better so far In 2019)
6. Kane Elgey (he will find his feet I feel)
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic (needs to just focus on running, and then look for attacking plays)
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
12. Curtis Sironen

14. Apisai Koroisau
15. Joel Thompson
16. Tof Sipley (decent impact)/Jack Gosiewski
17. Kelepi Tanginoa

I do not believe Elliot is a first grader. He has a lot of errors in him, can't read the play like a fullback needs to, and makes stuff all metres. I would stick with Turbo and later in the year I expect Hoppa to come through on the wing. I'd give Funa a crack in the centres now and I would also like to run with Cade Cust in the halves. Cade is not shy with the ball, he will demand it, share the kicking duties and has a good running game. He is better in defence than Elgey and will take more pressure off DCE.

Yes to Fainu (I think Des will be tempted to release Api next year to free up cash and move Fainu into the 9 permanently). The other forward changes are interesting and could be worth a shot; although, I would say Paeseka will make his way onto the bench ahead of Sipley and Gosi.

I do not believe Elliot is a first grader. He has a lot of errors in him, can't read the play like a fullback needs to, and makes stuff all metres. I would stick with Turbo and later in the year I expect Hoppa to come through on the wing. I'd give Funa a crack in the centres now and I would also like to run with Cade Cust in the halves. Cade is not shy with the ball, he will demand it, share the kicking duties and has a good running game. He is better in defence than Elgey and will take more pressure off DCE.

Yes to Fainu (I think Des will be tempted to release Api next year to free up cash and move Fainu into the 9 permanently). The other forward changes are interesting and could be worth a shot; although, I would say Paeseka will make his way onto the bench ahead of Sipley and Gosi.
Might be early days re Elgey but I'm concerned tbh. He just seems to be devoid of confidence. He rarely if ever takes the line on, hardly kicks and that terrific passing game of his is yet to materialise. (Yes I know it's been wet.) u could almost say he's played like a Croker clone but with inferior defence so I'm not convinced. And I'm not sure how many games we are prepared to lose before he and DCE 'click.' I'm thinking he's on limited time and in a perfect world probably needs a few weeks in reggies to restore his confidence. I know a lot of u aren't Hodko fans but at least you know what you'll get from him and with Des in charge he'll know exactly what role to play. Interesting times!

Elliott is bog average and in yet to see the pace that everyone said he had in spades. He has no passing game, ( shocking pass to siro) no smarts ( jumps for bombs when he doesn’t need to, then driven back in goal as he couldn’t brace for impact) no evasiveness and generally doesn’t look like fullback at all to me.

I get that he is a stopgap, but I’d look at putting Garrick back there next week if turbo isn’t in.

I agree Elliott is going ok but to move a guy as good as Tom to centre I’d probably want the replacement to be a lot better than Elliot.

Not totally against Tom playing centre if we had Will Hoppa standard replacement but it doesn’t seem a Des sort of move

What I do know is there needs to be changes to the starting 13 against the Warriors or we will lose again.

This week is basically our season in terms of the eight ( which was probably a pipe dream anyway). The week after is Souths and good luck with that if we are none and three.

Lose the first four ( three of them home games)and you need to win 2 out every three remaining games with a huge away biased draw due to early games at home and a home game in Brisbane. That’s just to sneak into finals.Wont happen.

I didn’t think there was much chance at the eight but to have that carrot almost out of reach so early would be tough on supporters and the psyche of the players.
Beat the Warriors and go in against the Bunnies at home with a punchers chance is essential.

We can’t wait till it’s too late . Some of the changes are just no brainers.

Last edited:

Agree that Elliot is not a 1st grader and has too many errors in his game. Tom T is one of the best 1's in the comp so why would you move him?!

Have to say though, Funa is not the answer at this stage and may never be. Cust is also still too raw.

Agree that Elliot is not a 1st grader and has too many errors in his game.

Agree that Elliot isn't a first grader and has too many errors in his game. That said, he's also been one of our better players over the first two rounds. Weird but true.

@Harry Smith The greatest difference between the mere mortals and the truly greats is ... creating uncertainty ...

What Snake had, and Inglis and that little grub from Melb had .... is the ability to put a defence in two minds by simply being there at fullback and coming into a backline movement .... they didn't actually even have to get the ball ... their simple presence caused centres and wingers to hesitate and second guess themselves ... job done .. try scored ...

This is a rare talent ... and one that Turbo possesses .... he may have issues .... but at fullback he is an attacking superstar .... at centre he is just a very good player .....

Agree that Elliot isn't a first grader and has too many errors in his game. That said, he's also been one of our better players over the first two rounds. Weird but true.
Agree that he has been one of our better players but at fullback, you need a weapon, not a solid performer. He is probably a FG winger who'll do a job for you but to put Tom T at centre to cater for Elliott is one of the craziest ideas I have ever heard.

Elliot will replace Jorge on the wing perfectly. He can defuse bombs and do a no nonsense job well there. I like the wing of Suli and Garrick and believe it has potential to develop into a nice combo for us in the years to come.

Agree that Elliot is not a 1st grader and has too many errors in his game. Tom T is one of the best 1's in the comp so why would you move him?!

Have to say though, Funa is not the answer at this stage and may never be. Cust is also still too raw.
I'm not sold on Funa either; he looked awesome early in his career and has come back to the pack a little - but we don't need awesome right now - just solid with minimal errors. I still believe he is worth a shot on the wing with Garrick to fullback until Tom comes back. Elliot is not worth another shot.

As for Cust - raw, yes, I believe most players that haven't played first grade could be called that; however, this kid has something about him and Elgey is just way too passive. I don't see a downside in giving him a crack over someone who has been struggling over the last three years and was never established in the first place. Then we have Hodko, the question is whether you want to give a season to a guy who wont be around next year (I assume), or give someone with potential a shot (he is coming to that age where his maturity should see him handle the occasion).

Then again, if we make some key changes for next year that allows cap space to be freed up we might buy a 6/7?

Elliot will replace Jorge on the wing perfectly. He can defuse bombs and do a no nonsense job well there. I like the wing of Suli and Garrick and believe it has potential to develop into a nice combo for us in the years to come.
Yeah, I’ve been convinced to think that Trbo may not be worth moving from the back. I think Elliot will prove a good winger until we can sign some players. Seems reliable and always fights hard which is why I’m so positive/optimistic about him at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a 2020 team I would see be a top 6 and by 2021 a dominant force for years to come.
Before I cop a sombrero comment - at this stage rookie players Hoppa, Schuster and Fainu all cheap plus $650,000 from Walker......a few released, with the Oates, Rapana, pom forward the signings...
Picture the momentum on kick return early tackles....btw been drinking 2 days so forgiveness is appreciated, but not expected.

1- Turbo
2- Rapana
3- Suli
4- Hoppa Jnr
5- Oates
6- Schuster
7- DCE
8- Kapow
9- Fainu
10- Pommy forward
11- Sirro
12- Waddell
13- Jake

Res
14 - AFB
15- Paseka
16- Sipley
17- Jetski (no kicking)

Been thinking on the side and it kinda clicked, why does Tom Trbojevic have to stay fullback? Elliot defused so well I thought in the conditions and with all the stunning kicks thrown his way by Keary. Plays ok in the attacking line, defends gallantly, runs gallantly. Trbo would allow a balanced backline with no need for Parker. This is including Walker although in the meantime we could have Suli centre, Taufua back in the side for a winger. Personally love it, what's the thoughts? I might be over-rating Elliot’s early reliability

1. Brendon Elliot
2. Reuben Garrick
3. Tom Trbojevic
4. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
12. Curtis Sironen

14. Apisai Koroisau
15. Joel Thompson
17. Kelepi Tanginoa

Mate i love your passion but none of these things will happen. Elliot is not a fb jurbo is probably the best 13 in the game and turbo is one of the best fbs in the game. Why has marty been found out at prop? Hes a beast and did well in the rain i dont recall him making any mistakes. He just needs to offload more. Also he was arguably the best prop last year and we came 2nd last.

Been thinking on the side and it kinda clicked, why does Tom Trbojevic have to stay fullback? Elliot defused so well I thought in the conditions and with all the stunning kicks thrown his way by Keary. Plays ok in the attacking line, defends gallantly, runs gallantly. Trbo would allow a balanced backline with no need for Parker. This is including Walker although in the meantime we could have Suli centre, Taufua back in the side for a winger. Personally love it, what's the thoughts? I might be over-rating Elliot’s early reliability

1. Brendon Elliot
2. Reuben Garrick
3. Tom Trbojevic
4. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
12. Curtis Sironen

14. Apisai Koroisau
15. Joel Thompson
17. Kelepi Tanginoa
We should use marty on the edges close to the opponents line.. get him 1 on 1 with a halfback and the guy should stroll over most of them

Yeah, I’ve been convinced to think that Trbo may not be worth moving from the back. I think Elliot will prove a good winger until we can sign some players. Seems reliable and always fights hard which is why I’m so positive/optimistic about him at the moment
Mate, you are always thinking and coming up with creative ideas - they can't always be gold, but never stop doing it. We might be creating YARTS with Smith in the 6 one day.

Mate i love your passion but none of these things will happen. Elliot is not a fb jurbo is probably the best 13 in the game and turbo is one of the best fbs in the game. Why has marty been found out at prop? Hes a beast and did well in the rain i dont recall him making any mistakes. He just needs to offload more. Also he was arguably the best prop last year and we came 2nd last.
- agree on Trbo point

- think Jake sometimes stifles our attack, a forward like him needs to simplify his game a little. He has great ball handling skills although it’s lost it’s effect as he gets involved so often it becomes a bit more predictable. Sometimes he’s great but a prop for mine.

- Taupau is the one I most believe should happen. He is so easily targeted in the middle and contained now. AFB is a very similar player so to have two similar forwards in the middle once again loses the effect as teams can prepare easier. Manly have lacked versatility in the forwards (been saying it for years), and by having Waddell change things up at lock, and Taupau strengthening an edge it would refresh the side. Joel Thompson could strengthen the bench, and would come on for Taupau (who we’d still use heaps like a prop). Most of all, our edges are weak and this would balance the side.

Teams need to be balanced, they need to be mentally tough and they need to be versatile. Thats the three principles needed for a great side IMO

I'm not sold on Funa either; he looked awesome early in his career and has come back to the pack a little - but we don't need awesome right now - just solid with minimal errors. I still believe he is worth a shot on the wing with Garrick to fullback until Tom comes back. Elliot is not worth another shot.

As for Cust - raw, yes, I believe most players that haven't played first grade could be called that; however, this kid has something about him and Elgey is just way too passive. I don't see a downside in giving him a crack over someone who has been struggling over the last three years and was never established in the first place. Then we have Hodko, the question is whether you want to give a season to a guy who wont be around next year (I assume), or give someone with potential a shot (he is coming to that age where his maturity should see him handle the occasion).

Then again, if we make some key changes for next year that allows cap space to be freed up we might buy a 6/7?
As soon as Green went, Daly turned to dust. Chez is the marquee half and we just need someone to steady the ship and cannot afford to buy for season 2019 and it's dangerous to blood a young player who is not really a gun (a la Dylan Brown at Parra). Cust can have a game or two when someone is injured, I just don't think he should be handed the role straight up for an indefinite period. If Hodkinson can play the Green role and direct the team around the park, we'll get better performances from Chez and then it is happy days. Then we can either go to market for another "no frills" game manager for 2020, and who knows, if Cust has played a few FG games by that state, and is starting to develop, he can wrestle for the position.

I am not fully prepared to write Elgey off at this stage because it's a long season but the early signs aren't great.

Agree that he has been one of our better players but at fullback, you need a weapon, not a solid performer. He is probably a FG winger who'll do a job for you but to put Tom T at centre to cater for Elliott is one of the craziest ideas I have ever heard.
Agreed. (I'm doing that a lot today.) But how scary is it that a fringe first-grader filling in at fullback has been one of our strongest players. We could be in trouble…

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8