Third party deals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Was thinking about the situation with our halves and realised that I have no real understanding of how these work. Can anyone enlighten me?
I know there's the cap - do 3rd party deals count under this?
I'm assuming not, so is there a limit to the amount a player can be played with these deals?
Can it come from a number of sources?
Are there limits on how many each club can use?
Just wondering. Any clarity would be greatly appreciated. o_O;)

I'm not overly sure, but 3rd party deals are NOT part of the cap, but cannot be directly connected to the club. I don't believe there's a limit on them either, which sort of gives clubs like the Boncos a massive advantage being a single club in a major city..

Honestly I don't really know. I bet I know more than an NRL accountant tho ;)

The Thoroughbreds ( Broncos) are largely made up of Mining executives, none of whom are direct sponsors.

My understanding is they toss in about two million a year.

I think that's correct. The 3rd party deal cannot be guaranteed by the club and cannot be through any entity associated with the club, such as a sponsor. Pretty easy for certain clubs to benefit from this.

I think that's correct. The 3rd party deal cannot be guaranteed by the club and cannot be through any entity associated with the club, such as a sponsor. Pretty easy for certain clubs to benefit from this.

The Broncos are expert at this, in addition to the Thoroughbreds their players are on almost every advertising sign in the joint , I'd be surprised if their real player spend isnt double the cap!

Sometimes one city clubs are at a disadvantage as they tend to have more sponsors making it hard to avoid having direct links with a party that wants to have a 3rd Party arrangement with a player.

The Broncos are expert at this, in addition to the Thoroughbreds their players are on almost every advertising sign in the joint , I'd be surprised if their real player spend isnt double the cap!
So if the Thoroughbreds are, substantially, in a relationship with the Broncos, doesn't that make their 3rd party payments come under the salary cap?. Their role, and the clause in the salary cap rules below, would make me think that they are related to the Broncos:
"Income that a player earns from parties not related to his club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however, the details of the agreement must be advised to the club by the player."

Last edited:
Nope the Thoroughbreds are simply a group of " interested parties" , theres no formal agreement , no advertising , no sponsorship but no doubt recieve individual benefits such as corporate box entertainment , I'd say they get around the laws that way.

I am willing to bet players get 3rd party deals that start and stop at the same time they play for certain clubs, the broncos being a big one. The NRL must turn a blind eye to this. Rusty and Co at souffs would have friends in high places able to assist like the thoroughbreds if they wanted to.

It wouldn't be hard to set up a business operating out of the caymen islands for 3rd party deals anyway.
The question should be do the thoroughbreds get benefits not available to the average fan/corporate box owner? If yes then they are a sponsor.

Considering the only time there have been any significant salary cap cheats caught has been as the result of self reporting / a internal mole rather than NRL it is not a stretch to think that there is a significant amount of rorting going on that is undectected

I am willing to bet players get 3rd party deals that start and stop at the same time they play for certain clubs, the broncos being a big one. The NRL must turn a blind eye to this. Rusty and Co at souffs would have friends in high places able to assist like the thoroughbreds if they wanted to.

It wouldn't be hard to set up a business operating out of the caymen islands for 3rd party deals anyway.
The question should be do the thoroughbreds get benefits not available to the average fan/corporate box owner? If yes then they are a sponsor.
You don't need to go to the Caymans, a lot easier closer to home, an example , say Parra Leagues awards a security contract to some company which in turn agrees to a third party contract for Foran, I think that is acceptable under the terms of the NRL.

You don't need to go to the Caymans, a lot easier closer to home, an example , say Parra Leagues awards a security contract to some company which in turn agrees to a third party contract for Foran, I think that is acceptable under the terms of the NRL.

Probably too close to get away with. The Storm tried to channel money from them through a match-day entertainment provider, to the players. It was what first had the NRL digging around asking questions and was before the 2nd contracts were accidently handed over.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4