Things you don’t see in modern rugby league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
There are a lot of great skills on display in modern rugby league. Players are generally fitter, faster and stronger than ever before.

There are also some aspects of the game that you don’t (or rarely) see any more, either because of rule changes or the field position/low-risk formula style of rugby league these days.

Here are some parts of the game that I remember fondly and miss seeing today.

Read more...http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/1...heroar/rugby-league+(The+Roar+-+Rugby+League)

Other things missing from modern league:
  • Draws
  • The Biff (this niggling stuff is a disgrace)
  • A competent RL Adminstration
That Parra wall would be called an obstruction these days. Clever idea though.

One thing that really really grinds me is this niggling, face slapping powderpuff BS that we see today.

It creates people like Ennis ( who lets face it in the old days would have copped it big time and after a few thrashings would probably have given up).

Klemmer copped a beauty from Burgess ( although he was being held by another Burgess at the time) after slapping the elder Burgess on the face in the recent 4 Nations game, whilst not wanting to see the game develop into UFC I do miss a bit of a stink!

I also miss the good old days when it was a war of attrition where the little guys had a chance to show up tired forwards. The interchange has all but killed this off.

And we used to go to game day early to watch the reserves go round with them knowing that if they put in a good performance then they could be promoted to sit on the bench for the firsts game.

Not much ad lib play today, it's all exactly the same, 4 hit ups , maybe a stretch out on 5 but often not, last tackle is either a kick to the corner, a grubber or very occasionally they actually run the ball.

Then set for defence whilst the opposition does the same.

Games are won on the number of mistakes or penalties and not much else.

Teams that have the less mistakes and NRL favourites usually win.

'member when you could tackle around the legs, have it called a good tackle and not be penalised?

'member when refs were halfway competent?

'member before the storm when we didn't have: chicken wing, crushers, wrestling, and the general non deliberate tactics to injure players?

We've all been getting on our "member berries"

latest

edit: 'member when Aust was good at cricket?

Last edited:
I miss the cardboard black and white corner post
I may not have the speed to get to it these days though .

• Fair scrums
  • The chip over the top, regather tries
  • Referees prepared to affect the 'TV spectacle' by enforcing the rules of fair play
  • One defender 'round the ankles covering tackles
  • Field goals when scores are not level

I miss: the creativity from scrums when many tries used to be scored - including the winger beating his opposition on the outside following quick hands by the two centres, who were side-by-side.
Now some numbskull forward gets the ball at five-eight and dies with it.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6