They just do it better...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Premium Member
Tipping Member
the AFL...
I love my sport, and League will always be my number 1 winter sport. But, Geez the AFL do their big days well..
Just watched a cracker of a game between the Bombers and the Pies.. Now if I had a choice I would have watched the NRL, but alas, I did not have the option.
To borrow an AFL analogy, we always seem to be a kick behind our southern rivals in this respect..
Today Nine had a great opportunity to televise a couple of great games. Instead up here we get the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.. You bloody beauty..:dodgy:
Man I hope we get our act together soon, because I would definitely would have watched Dragon v Roosters and then Storm v Warriors instead of the AFL.. (albeit a cracker of a game)

I can't stand the AFL so won't even watch it. Agree with you about channel 9 and the NRL. Hopefully, they sort it out next tv deal.

You missed one hell of a league game though.

• 👍
Reactions: ads
Hard to justify bundling the fam. off to the pub on a day like today.. Can compromise on a few beers at home and a bit of family time in between? Those few beers would have been spent watching the NRL.. Oh well, as you said Dowdz, hopefully they will pull their finger out for the next TV deal.

Clint said:
Hard to justify bundling the fam. off to the pub on a day like today.. Can compromise on a few beers at home and a bit of family time in between? Those few beers would have been spent watching the NRL.. Oh well, as you said Dowdz, hopefully they will pull their finger out for the next TV deal.

I hope so too Clint. We have the best product in the world, just run by idiots. Lert's hope the commission change this.

I sacrifice a bit of my social life for foxtel hd just for the league lol.

Brookie games i get the family down as much as i can. Gets costly but i do not go out much these days.

I agree the NRL are behind the AFL in every regard, except the product. The promotional stuff is great. The NRL have that old US rocker whereas the AFL have AC/DC, an Australian product. The inclusion of indiginous kids in the promo is also great. The Problem is that Channel 9 run the game.

Clint said:
the AFL...
I love my sport, and League will always be my number 1 winter sport. But, Geez the AFL do their big days well..
Just watched a cracker of a game between the Bombers and the Pies.. Now if I had a choice I would have watched the NRL, but alas, I did not have the option.
To borrow an AFL analogy, we always seem to be a kick behind our southern rivals in this respect..
Today Nine had a great opportunity to televise a couple of great games. Instead up here we get the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.. You bloody beauty..:dodgy:
Man I hope we get our act together soon, because I would definitely would have watched Dragon v Roosters and then Storm v Warriors instead of the AFL.. (albeit a cracker of a game)
I don't really get your point here, this game was always marked down for ANZAC day, hence a Foxtel coverage, just as the Storm/Warriors game is.
It was never going to be a free to air game,unless ANZAC day fell on a Friday, so channel 9 had no choice in this matter

DSM5 said:
I agree the NRL are behind the AFL in every regard, except the product. The promotional stuff is great. The NRL have that old US rocker whereas the AFL have AC/DC, an Australian product. The inclusion of indiginous kids in the promo is also great. The Problem is that Channel 9 run the game.

Ditto

Plenty of AFL people don't like the way the game is run either. Sometimes the grass isn't actually greener.

I love all codes of footy, but in terms of the level of competition, the NRL is streets ahead. That being said the thing which has held the game back isn't so much the administrators of recent years, its been our reliance on leagues clubs to finance the game. The membership model and having fans invest in the club is what is really the AFLs greatest strength. That being said, I think we are a generation and a bit behind the AFL as our clubs current membership numbers look like AFL clubs in the 80s. The game needs to continue to go down this path and not rest on the rewards of the anticipated big TV deal. If we do that, then we'll find the game taking off again.

Peter C said:
Clint said:
the AFL...
I don't really get your point here, this game was always marked down for ANZAC day, hence a Foxtel coverage, just as the Storm/Warriors game is.
It was never going to be a free to air game,unless ANZAC day fell on a Friday, so channel 9 had no choice in this matter

I hear what you are saying PC, but why does the AFL manage to have a Free to Air game on today.. Why can't we too?

DSM5 said:

AC/DC formed in Australia yes, but can hardly say they are an Australian band anymore. Put this way how many times in the last 5 years have they toured?

The kids were probably included due to the flack they've been copping. A few clubs have said they won't draft Aboriginals unless one parent is white (oops).
I like to hope our code is now above this (but it's not) to have the token minority in it's adds.
Actual fact that the NRL doesn't advertise is that there is more aboriginals playing in the NRL then the AFL.

For a while we'll have something in our ANZAC games that the AFL won't : the New Zealand national anthem in the Melbourne vs New Zealand game

eagles2win said:
DSM5 said:

AC/DC formed in Australia yes, but can hardly say they are an Australian band anymore. Put this way how many times in the last 5 years have they toured?

The kids were probably included due to the flack they've been copping. A few clubs have said they won't draft Aboriginals unless one parent is white (oops).I like to hope our code is now above this (but it's not) to have the token minority in it's adds.
Actual fact that the NRL doesn't advertise is that there is more aboriginals playing in the NRL then the AFL.

That story was a huge media beat up. The AFL crucified the bloke and heaven forbid if you get yourself in the bosses crosshairs. A similar version of Snake gallop dance in the AFL would probably have seen the bloke rubbed out of the game.

The reason the AFL was on free-to-air is because their product simply isn't valuable enough to pay TV. Remove the NRL from pay TV and watch their subscription levels plummet. It has always rated through the roof for Foxtel.

Super 15 (or whatever number they're up to these days) and AFL simply do not have the ratings power for pay TV that rugby league does. This would be the reason Foxtel would pay through the nose for games like today. Paying the same for AFL games that don't rate anywhere near what the NRL games do would not make any sense.

Too many on here whinge and moan about the coverage we get while at the same time talk about the expected windfall from the next TV rights. We are expecting more money but are anticipating a bigger say in what the networks can and can't do. That doesn't make sense at all.

We need to accept that it's a commercial reality that if we accept the fat pay cheque then we should expect less of a say in scheduling. To think otherwise is simply stupid. The alternative is to expect less money from the networks and have a bigger say in the scheduling of games on free-to-air and pay TV.

Also they don't do everything better. Their GF day festivities are just as lame, if not more so than the NRLs. Meatloaf last year was on a par with the Optus TV and Billie Idot debacles.

They do it well in comparison to the NRL & A-League, but compared to American & most European leagues our production values are well below par.

Rugby League will always have one thing over AFL though & that is that people from other countries can watch it without keeling over laughing.

Frank said:
The reason the AFL was on free-to-air is because their product simply isn't valuable enough to pay TV. Remove the NRL from pay TV and watch their subscription levels plummet. It has always rated through the roof for Foxtel.

Super 15 (or whatever number they're up to these days) and AFL simply do not have the ratings power for pay TV that rugby league does. This would be the reason Foxtel would pay through the nose for games like today. Paying the same for AFL games that don't rate anywhere near what the NRL games do would not make any sense.

Too many on here whinge and moan about the coverage we get while at the same time talk about the expected windfall from the next TV rights. We are expecting more money but are anticipating a bigger say in what the networks can and can't do. That doesn't make sense at all.

We need to accept that it's a commercial reality that if we accept the fat pay cheque then we should expect less of a say in scheduling. To think otherwise is simply stupid. The alternative is to expect less money from the networks and have a bigger say in the scheduling of games on free-to-air and pay TV.

We were massively undersold last time around. An increase this time around is a given.

How the IC negotiates the terms including scheduling will be interesting.

To suggest a decrease in money for having a say in scheduling is ludicrous.

Clint said:
Peter C said:
Clint said:
the AFL...

I hear what you are saying PC, but why does the AFL manage to have a Free to Air game on today.. Why can't we too?
Not too certain here Clint, but I think all the AFL games are free to air.
I know TEN is vying for the rights and their plans are for all games to be live FTA, but the chances of anyone taking the rights away from Nine and Fox are remote, especially as Nine have a first and last rights refusal, and unless the TEN offer completely blows Nine and Fox out of the water then we will be stuck with much the same as what we have endured over the past six years.But I doubt that the NRL will accept a higher offer from TEN due to their precarious financial situation.
C7 tried to get the total rights some years ago, only to strike hurdle upon hurdle from the NRL board due to the conflict of interest from the News Corp side of the joint venture.
Probably the NRL is looking at the next round of talks in about five years with the hope that Ninewill not have first and last rights refusal.

Clint said:
the AFL...
i am in total agreeance...if the powers that be allow these afls games on at special times...wot hope do we have in the 'war' between codes for supremacy....nsw/qls supposed to be rugby league states!!!

Jatz Crackers said:
Frank said:

We were massively undersold last time around. An increase this time around is a given.

How the IC negotiates the terms including scheduling will be interesting.

To suggest a decrease in money for having a say in scheduling is ludicrous.

I wasn't suggesting a decrease in money to have a bigger say in scheduling. Merely highlighting the absurdity.

The biggest issue in League is that the soul of the game has been controlled by a media company and media interests. Taking League off Saturday afternoons Free to Air was a huge mistake and the control of the ethos of League through 9 and Fox is ridiculous.

It is high time that the interests of the game 9 (and its long term development) were more important than making a buck for a media company.

Sure, the game needs a lot of money for broadcast rights but they should control them and have input rather than ceding total control to someone else.

A big part of this is also that the Telegraph is part of the company that owns the game - but continues to throw buckets on any incident that occurs as it sells 300000 more papers when their is a salacious news story coming out of the game.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4