Then v Now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
After watching that game last night, it took me back to 2005, and how our season ended up panning out that year, and thinking the similarities are there with the current season

We have had a great start to this season under Des all things considered and are punching well above our weight to sit up in the top half of the table, back in 05, we led the comp after 7 weeks, then went up to Suncorp, and the bubble was burst as Brett Stewart had a nightmare under the high ball and we got blown apart, and from there the season stuttered along and we ended up falling into the finals and out in week 1.

Last night may have been the start of our up and down stutter, we will have to wait and see how that plays out. But what it hopefully does lead into and follow the same pattern is that Des had put the foundations in place for the years to come, and like then, we are in a position to keep adding pieces to our team to keep moving up the table each season

Last edited:
It will be a sad indictment if Tyrone Roberts and the titans are the impetus for our slide down the ladder. We have very winnable games coming up and I will be expecting aMuch more focused effort in the coming weeks. We just need some experience back on deck and some dross removed from the team

It will be a sad indictment if Tyrone Roberts and the titans are the impetus for our slide down the ladder. We have very winnable games coming up and I will be expecting aMuch more focused effort in the coming weeks. We just need some experience back on deck and some dross removed from the team

Just curious, who is the dross?

Yes 2005, I remember it well year 1 of BK, and our fortunes had turned around but a disappointing end.

I think this young side will experience much the same but what a platform it will be for 2020/21.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
Refs are killing us
Exactly right. Every game recently we've started well and should've had 4 tries on the board again this week same as the last month. Then after 20min we get flogged with penalties and have to struggle through the rest of the game. It's a fair dunkun fuking joke go we rigged this sport has become. Run by bookies and media interests.

Exactly right. Every game recently we've started well and should've had 4 tries on the board again this week same as the last month. Then after 20min we get flogged with penalties and have to struggle through the rest of the game. It's a fair dunkun fuking joke go we rigged this sport has become. Run by bookies and media interests.

That 10 penalties in a row vs the Sharks did me. I'd ignored it too long but that was just blatant cheating

Watching Fri night was like watching the last couple years. Slow, ineffective, poor tactics, poor handling, poor kicking. The only difference was the no excuses presser. Hopefully like the Panthers and Titans who copped major criticism and responded that Des will give them a toxic week of reality checks instead of the softly, reasoning, everything will he ok millenial approach.

The big difference I see between then and now ... is the fragility of form .... and I am not talking specifically Manly, but all teams ...

Teams flogging teams one week ... only to get flogged thmselves the next week ... and good coaches and good players are not immune ... it happens to every team in this modern era ....

and There often exists very little correlation between results from one week to the next .... and Penrith, Broncos, and even us last year show that it doesn't take much off field .. to completely derail a season......

Said a couple of weeks ago that there are 6 winnable games ahead of us and if we win four, we've done well. We've so far won two out of three. We have Penrith away, Cowboys away and St George at home. None of those sides are setting the competition alight. We then take on the Titans again away. I think we can win two, maybe three of the next four. For this team that would be a great effort especially now that we've lost our best defensive centre (Parker) and another centre is also out (Suli).

Will be interesting to see who Des uses with Walker. One option is Croker in the centres, which may not be a bad move. The other is Garrick in at centre and Anderson on the wing. Elliott is doing a fine job at full back so moving him to centre may not be the best move though Anderson has played a lot of full back and does it well. Options abound. Be interesting to see what Des does.

And of course don't forget Turbo and DCE could be back in 2-3 weeks. And just as an aside I still think Parker would make a fine running back rower. I remember a similar type of player who started in the centre and went on to become one of Manly's greats in the second row. His name was Randall (OK laugh your heads off, but we'll see).

Said a couple of weeks ago that there are 6 winnable games ahead of us and if we win four, we've done well. We've so far won two out of three. We have Penrith away, Cowboys away and St George at home. None of those sides are setting the competition alight. We then take on the Titans again away. I think we can win two, maybe three of the next four. For this team that would be a great effort especially now that we've lost our best defensive centre (Parker) and another centre is also out (Suli).

Will be interesting to see who Des uses with Walker. One option is Croker in the centres, which may not be a bad move. The other is Garrick in at centre and Anderson on the wing. Elliott is doing a fine job at full back so moving him to centre may not be the best move though Anderson has played a lot of full back and does it well. Options abound. Be interesting to see what Des does.

And of course don't forget Turbo and DCE could be back in 2-3 weeks. And just as an aside I still think Parker would make a fine running back rower. I remember a similar type of player who started in the centre and went on to become one of Manly's greats in the second row. His name was Randall (OK laugh your heads off, but we'll see).
Jeez mate you have exceptional hearing , I can't hear anyone laughing.

We make the finals and bow out week one will be a successful season to me.
Last season we got lucky just missing our first wooden spoon. I expected to improve this season but thought we would finish around 10th.
Making the 8 and having a better run with injuries with a couple of big game players added should see us creeping up into the 4 with a premiership over the next few years.

Panthers will be missing both Dean Whare and Waqa Blake next week. If Cleary is picked for NSW (please let it be so) then their backline will be decimated. Will be interesting to see if Ivan picks DWZ. I’m still hopeful that Turbo might be back for us as well. In any case, this has become a very winnable game.

Maybe Parker could go backrower. But prefer Waddell get first crack next year. Followed by Gowski. Parker has just found his feet as a starting nrl centre. Bit too soon to be talking about position change in my opinion. Randall was as hard as the hardest nail. Not sure Parker is in that mould.

Maybe Parker could go backrower. But prefer Waddell get first crack next year. Followed by Gowski. Parker has just found his feet as a starting nrl centre. Bit too soon to be talking about position change in my opinion. Randall was as hard as the hardest nail. Not sure Parker is in that mould.

I remember Randall, in fact went to primary school with him. He was not the tough guy he became when he played centre. Just a strong defensive centre who lacked a bit of speed. Last year Parker was being described as easy fodder for the forwards. A year on he's our best defensive back liner and tough as nails pushing forward. Another years and...well we'll see.

After watching that game last night, it took me back to 2005, and how our season ended up panning out that year, and thinking the similarities are there with the current season

We have had a great start to this season under Des all things considered and are punching well above our weight to sit up in the top half of the table, back in 05, we led the comp after 7 weeks, then went up to Suncorp, and the bubble was burst as Brett Stewart had a nightmare under the high ball and we got blown apart, and from there the season stuttered along and we ended up falling into the finals and out in week 1.

Last night may have been the start of our up and down stutter, we will have to wait and see how that plays out. But what it hopefully does lead into and follow the same pattern is that Des had put the foundations in place for the years to come, and like then, we are in a position to keep adding pieces to our team to keep moving up the table each season
Great post KE

It’s interesting the similarities to the first time round.
2003 under sharp we finished second last just like 2018 with Barrett.

The only thing is back in 2004 we didn’t have the likes of cherry, the turbos (Brett and Glenn were just starting their journey) and the monster front row we have.

Top 8 we with an early exit would be a massive tick in the box this year and step in the right direction. I’m also interested to watch who hasler looks to add to this squad next season

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8