The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My worry is that Des will feel the need to have DCE get involved on the left too, now that Foz is moving on. That'll kill both sides of our attack with crabbing and dud "unders" plays. We'll miss Foran's and Walker's directness more than I think people realise.

I think Shoe will be more like Kenny Bromwich or Wade Graham, ball playing backrower with kicking skills. But 2 in closer to ruck if he is playing 6. He has the skills to utilise good hole runners, but I don't think he is going to be sharp enough to trouble defences with pace and deft footwork. Power and offload will be his weaponary.
My argument to that is they’re not beating the big guns at the moment with Foran and Walker,so something has to change.Not blaming them,although I think Walker’s impact is overrated,but a different approach is needed

My argument to that is they’re not beating the big guns at the moment with Foran and Walker,so something has to change.Not blaming them,although I think Walker’s impact is overrated,but a different approach is needed
Agree, but I think as a team we are off the pace and intensity needed to challenge the top 4. Need to dominate in the middle and be more dynamic and up tempo across the park. Given where we are as a team I think Foran and Walker have at least given us a chance of winning games.

Anyway we'll definitely have a different approach next year because neither of them will be here. Unlikely to be any other major recruitment it seems so it'll be interesting to see whether Shoe can make anything more of us as a team than Foz has. No Davey either, and Shoe to 6 means a new backrower on that left edge too. Is that Tualagi ?

Agree, but I think as a team we are off the pace and intensity needed to challenge the top 4. Need to dominate in the middle and be more dynamic and up tempo across the park. Given where we are as a team I think Foran and Walker have at least given us a chance of winning games.

Anyway we'll definitely have a different approach next year because neither of them will be here. Unlikely to be any other major recruitment it seems so it'll be interesting to see whether Shoe can make anything more of us as a team than Foz has. No Davey either, and Shoe to 6 means a new backrower on that left edge too. Is that Tualagi ?
Interesting times ahead.You only have to look at the difference Payton had made to the Cows,in both defence and their style of play with the ball.Seems as though Des hasn’t moved with the times and I’m surprised how unfit the team looks,very unDes like

I agree with most of what you have said TC; however, Foran is leaving, Lawton hasn’t been resigned.

Long term I don’t see Schuster as a 5/8, I think he’s much better as a roving second rower, like a Wade Graham, who has immense ball skills. He’ll never make rep footy as a 5/8, and never has to date. Even when he was killing it at 5/8 in juniors, selectors still put him in the back row.

Humphries may be an option with DCE moving to 6 and Latu Fainu will also be eligible in 2024.

Having watched Schuster play 28 1st grade games and 1 international ... I'm not convinced he is the answer to any of our questions ... 5/8 or 2nd row.
He has patches in his game where he switches off, with experience hopefully this improves.

Has some skill that most don’t, for me he will be a sensational number 6 with a good off season under him.

Stays fit he will be a tremendous player.

I would free up some cap space for 2024 and throw a million at Matt Burton or cam Munster and play the shoe in the 2rf. We would be a chance at the title imo.

It’s a shame one of the most talented kids we’ve had in years is already so maligned at 21 years old and with only 28 first grade games. Without Tom he offers more threat than anyone else in our team and that includes the Queensland and Australian halfback on 1.3 million dollars a year.

How about letting him play the full 80 like he did so well last year instead of bringing him off the bench for 20 minutes, asking him to make things happen and then criticising him when he’s trying to pull something off. We need more players like him and certainly not less.

It’s a shame one of the most talented kids we’ve had in years is already so maligned at 21 years old and with only 28 first grade games. Without Tom he offers more threat than anyone else in our team and that includes the Queensland and Australian halfback on 1.3 million dollars a year.

How about letting him play the full 80 like he did so well last year instead of bringing him off the bench for 20 minutes, asking him to make things happen and then criticising him when he’s trying to pull something off. We need more players like him and certainly not less.
Exactly

Fitness, fitness, fitness.

I'm not convinced he has the drive to get there.

Has all the skills, no doubt, and has undoubtedly spent his entire career getting by on those skills.

That's not enough in the NRL, if you want to be a superstar.

Unfortunately, the try Cook Islands scored on the weekend had a fair bit to do with Schusters lazy marker defence......and we all know what wins comps.....hint* it isn't flashy no look passes.

Interesting times ahead.You only have to look at the difference Payton had made to the Cows,in both defence and their style of play with the ball.Seems as though Des hasn’t moved with the times and I’m surprised how unfit the team looks,very unDes like
Payton was just a few games from the sack dont forget. Footy is funny that way.

He has patches in his game where he switches off, with experience hopefully this improves.

Has some skill that most don’t, for me he will be a sensational number 6 with a good off season under him.

Stays fit he will be a tremendous player.

Just my opinion .. don't think he has the workrate to be a top 2nd row .. don't think he has the workrate to be a top 5/8 ...

If you want to rely on a moment of genius to win games rather than hard work and effort .. fair enough ..

He has a load of talent .. and I hope he becomes an immortal ... but he just isn't my cup of tea

Payton was just a few games from the sack dont forget. Footy is funny that way.
Payton was not near being sacked,that was a media beat up.Payton came into the club and saw there were issues in many areas and has rectified most of them,other than the ridiculous contract Taumalolo is on,but he is slowly making that work.Look at all the players that improved or turned their form around under Payton,same happened at the Warriors for the brief period he was in control there

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4