The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It doesn't matter about the other teams defence. He still oozes class and brilliance. Not many people can kick so accurately at full pace to set up those tries. People keep trying to bring this talent down when you also need to consider his bulking frame and being out injured for some time. Give him a good pre season and he will be doing more damage.

I wonder,if there is an issue,if it’s that Schuster,at the moment,is not a “Des type player”? Plenty people on ST have been scratching their heads wondering why Croker has kept his spot or Manly haven’t openly chased another no.9.But it’s obvious that Croker is of the same ilk as Des,not the most naturally talented player but works hard on and off the field ,fit as a fiddle and a real team player.Lawton is in the same mould
I've stated previously during the Fainu retention debate years ago that an adequate hard working hooker was all that is necessary at the time to keep improving Manly at that stage from an edge of the 8 to just above team to a consistent top 8 performer.(proviso being reasonably uninjured squad)

Fainu will struggle with the workload defensively and Manly will be performing worse during this period if Fainu was playing long minutes.(Croker being tough and consistent defensively has really helped Manly in many games)

I think rightly Des views Schuster as a ballplaying lock/backrower and caved in if there were promises made to Schuster he will be the next 5/8 and probably feels he has to massage the situation to a more middle ground approach.

The only way i see Schuster making a go at 5/8 is if his role is limited to the left side, i don't see Schuster having the ability or fitness in a sharp way to float around or take over the middle sometimes for a right spread to DCE as Foran does at times.

To me this means Schuster will play on the left edge, DCE on the right mostly with the occasional central playing position and a new steady all round halfback on the cheap takes over the middle or Jake and Lawton provide the middle linkman plays.(i would prefer Lawton over Jake as he is sharper and can take on the line)

I feel if we could of retained Foran for an extra 1-2yrs while retaining Schuster and Walker there was the potential of a premiership in this period with a more hard nosed,fit disciplined mobile forward pack.

Foran with his direct playing and lead by example playing style combined with choosing his moments to be vocal could of really burned in this disciplined approach as to what is required to win a premiership.(passing on the baton from the previous successful generation)

I've stated previously during the Fainu retention debate years ago that an adequate hard working hooker was all that is necessary at the time to keep improving Manly at that stage from an edge of the 8 to just above team to a consistent top 8 performer.(proviso being reasonably uninjured squad)

Fainu will struggle with the workload defensively and Manly will be performing worse during this period if Fainu was playing long minutes.(Croker being tough and consistent defensively has really helped Manly in many games)

I think rightly Des views Schuster as a ballplaying lock/backrower and caved in if there were promises made to Schuster he will be the next 5/8 and probably feels he has to massage the situation to a more middle ground approach.

The only way i see Schuster making a go at 5/8 is if his role is limited to the left side, i don't see Schuster having the ability or fitness in a sharp way to float around or take over the middle sometimes for a right spread to DCE as Foran does at times.

To me this means Schuster will play on the left edge, DCE on the right mostly with the occasional central playing position and a new steady all round halfback on the cheap takes over the middle or Jake and Lawton provide the middle linkman plays.(i would prefer Lawton over Jake as he is sharper and can take on the line)

I feel if we could of retained Foran for an extra 1-2yrs while retaining Schuster and Walker there was the potential of a premiership in this period with a more hard nosed,fit disciplined mobile forward pack.

Foran with his direct playing and lead by example playing style combined with choosing his moments to be vocal could of really burned in this disciplined approach as to what is required to win a premiership.(passing on the baton from the previous successful generation)
I agree with most and Foran has performed tremendously since his return but they’ve not got within a bulls roar of the teams that matter in this comp with the current set up.Something has to change.Whether it’s Schuster to 5/8,DCE plays more direct to make the most of those outside him or Fainu returns.Not sure how Fainu will go if he is cleared but there is a dearth of quality no.9’s and was very good prior to his current situation.So provided he is cleared and can eventually get somewhere near his best,I think that can make a difference,especially given his closeness to a few players

My worry is that Des will feel the need to have DCE get involved on the left too, now that Foz is moving on. That'll kill both sides of our attack with crabbing and dud "unders" plays. We'll miss Foran's and Walker's directness more than I think people realise.

I think Shoe will be more like Kenny Bromwich or Wade Graham, ball playing backrower with kicking skills. But 2 in closer to ruck if he is playing 6. He has the skills to utilise good hole runners, but I don't think he is going to be sharp enough to trouble defences with pace and deft footwork. Power and offload will be his weaponary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4