The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Our strength and conditioning coaches always claim “there’s nothing to see here” yet the whole game against the cowgirls it was mentioned how fit they are and how they have the capacity to run over us late in the game. Let’s take some accountability here, everyone coaching staff included need to prepare and be better for next season. Too many young talents coming through to not see them reach their true potential 🦅

... He is no Dud just poorly used by Des at present and I’d like to know why.

It could be a combination of factors. Could be Des and Shoe’s ego clash or even Des punishing him for the Foran exit. Who knows but something is not right. Might be time for old Des to give it away.
Maybe the wise Des is teaching the talented kid a vital lesson about being selective with risk taking/not looking where you throw the ball. Old saying, possession is nine tenths of the law ... well in modern NRL it is even more important than that.

As important as Jake "s input is and Davey "s steady play helps , does limit a back row effectiveness to only have Haumole who can trouble an opposition ruck formation . Even Schuster at not quite his best but with his ability to still break tackles or other gifted attacking skills would have to be a better option in the starting back row . Sure that he can also hold his own in defence but logically just needs more time on the paddock to get back not only match fitness but hone his undoubted skills No look pass can be in the inconsequential area i am sure if again he can just get back to some serious involvement on the field again .

Our strength and conditioning coaches always claim “there’s nothing to see here” yet the whole game against the cowgirls it was mentioned how fit they are and how they have the capacity to run over us late in the game. Let’s take some accountability here, everyone coaching staff included need to prepare and be better for next season. Too many young talents coming through to not see them reach their true potential 🦅
Not just down on physical fitness but, most of our players don't seem to have mental toughness, too often head and shoulders sag and plays are given up on as soon as a mistake is made I have even been aware of backs being turned on plays, what happened to the old jog backwards into line when defending, too often smart aware opposition players get heaps of cheap metres at the ruck from slack marker ind inside defenders not being on the ball (pun intended).

Not just down on physical fitness but, most of our players don't seem to have mental toughness, too often head and shoulders sag and plays are given up on as soon as a mistake is made I have even been aware of backs being turned on plays, what happened to the old jog backwards into line when defending, too often smart aware opposition players get heaps of cheap metres at the ruck from slack marker ind inside defenders not being on the ball (pun intended).
Did improve against the Cows for 70 minutes at least , better sliding defence and marking up and guess line speed as well . Just did not have the agility or smarts to cope with their late match style open and spread attack . Keppie , Marty , Sipley in the middle for any extended period won :t be able to go with the better sides that move the pill around a bit . Paseka should be able to provide good mobility again . Alioia and Haumole can and Josh Schuster has enough . , Bullemor and Burbo could be good considerations to the forward line up if they can show they can be consistent and stoic enough . Maybe some of the young brigade in Tuitavake , Fifita and the West tigers import Tuilagi can add a bit more mobility in time . Again think that Jake would be more suited up front but then to find a capable enough 13

Agree but then neither does Des fill me with confidence that he's doing the right thing by Schuster. Benched for Andrew Davey? Please.

To me that's pretty simple... Davey is a bona fide hard running back rower, Schuster is not.

As a team (not as a group of individuals), we still need forwards that do the unpopular task of getting the ball and making good metres with hit-ups. As a forward, I've not yet seen any evidence that Josh does this too well. I suspect his history of leg injuries might have something to do with that too

Interesting that the staff are suggesting he has no fitness issues.So what is the problem.He’s 21 so if he’s unhappy with his “treatment” i.e. bench time etc. I think he needs some better advice from those he trusts.His manager doesn’t really fill me with confidence that he’s doing the right thing by Schuster
I don't think Schuster is unfit relative to his natural size, i just feel his natural size is not a good fit for the uptempo requirements in attack and defence.

All this talk about "has time and plays like Wally" works well in a different era and fitness level of League(for the most part), having talent alone in the modern game can't hide or mask the other attributes required to be an effective footballer.

In the semi professional era you could more easily stand above the pack and have effective performance numbers based on one or two good attributes, reduced fitness levels to take advantage of along with poor defensive structures and fatigued decision making will allow a player like Schuster to run havoc day in day out.

I know the talk about "has time" is all about being able to play in slow motion and seeing what others don't see in the moment of execution, but that alone can only get you so far if you are limited fitness and spark wise.

Let's give him till after 2023 with a full season at 6 to find out whether Bozo , Benji etc.etc. were on the mark .Played a couple of games last year and this year at 6 and won them all so he must be doing something right on the paddock .Des should give him 80 minutes for the next 6 games to get match fitness and drop some kilos for what is left of 2022 to get us into the finals .
Bring on the Storms .Maaaaaanly .

Was pondering this the other day... we know fitness is one part physical and one part mental. I wouldn't be surprised if physically, our strength and conditioning team do in fact get the players into peak condition just as much as other clubs (it's all based on common knowledge sports science, and I doubt Des and Donny would have lower standards than others). Given our team's character and youth, my bet is our "lack of fitness" during tougher games is all to do with mental weakness imo.

I don't think Schuster is unfit relative to his natural size, i just feel his natural size is not a good fit for the uptempo requirements in attack and defence.

All this talk about "has time and plays like Wally" works well in a different era and fitness level of League(for the most part), having talent alone in the modern game can't hide or mask the other attributes required to be an effective footballer.

In the semi professional era you could more easily stand above the pack and have effective performance numbers based on one or two good attributes, reduced fitness levels to take advantage of along with poor defensive structures and fatigued decision making will allow a player like Schuster to run havoc day in day out.

I know the talk about "has time" is all about being able to play in slow motion and seeing what others don't see in the moment of execution, but that alone can only get you so far if you are limited fitness and spark wise.
I wonder,if there is an issue,if it’s that Schuster,at the moment,is not a “Des type player”? Plenty people on ST have been scratching their heads wondering why Croker has kept his spot or Manly haven’t openly chased another no.9.But it’s obvious that Croker is of the same ilk as Des,not the most naturally talented player but works hard on and off the field ,fit as a fiddle and a real team player.Lawton is in the same mould

I don't believe Schuster is fit - definitely not match fit - because 1. He's coming back from injury & 2. He's not getting enough game time to build up his match fitness.

I can't see why Des plays Foran & Davey ahead of him, considering both are leaving at the end of this season, so I can only assume there's something else going on.

Perhaps he hasn't fully recovered from his injury, so Des is giving him limited game time to shake off the ring rust but not risk further aggravating his injury.

Our fitness staff aren't going to say "yeah he's unfit & still carrying an injury" so I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

I understand functional fitness in this professional era can be effectively boosted by focusing on performance when the body is under extreme stress loads and tiredness. It's how the athlete (and team) maintains composure (mental resilience and steadiness) and stays in flow during those states when the body's homeostasis is pushed to its limits. I recall one of the commentators mentioning the Cows had introduced training under fatigue (or something of that nature) in their off-season leading into this year. I'm not sure how widely this area, or concept, is accepted and utilised across the league???

I know Nam Baldwin has done quite a bit of work in this area with regular and professional athletes for decades... including big wave surfers (and regular pros like Fanning) and even the NSW footy team in the past. HeartMath have concepts of "congruency" that has implications in this area, and even exploring the breath work of deep sea free divers, meditation and Wim Hof breathing techniques could be fruitful. Anyway, it may well be Whacky Des has already looked into a lot of this stuff. I really don't know. However, in my opinion, this team appears quite poor in their composure and flow under adversity.

However, in my opinion, this team appears quite poor in their composure and flow under adversity.
It is not just your opinion

it is a fact feathered friend

and the reason we have been floundering

instead of flying high into the top 4

and living up to our legendary clubs high benchmark of excellence

We have 9 rounds to go before the underperforming need to let go

This is the change we all want to see .....

240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

Interesting Schuster is playing 2nd row playing for Samoa.

Hope he plays lots of minutes and stays uninjured as it can only help his own play and Manly in future weeks

I dont think its a surprise, CHT and Milford are established halves, Schuster has played only a handful of games in the halves and hasn't cemented his position there at all

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4