The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Moley must be a covert Bunnies supporter or maybe just dislikes Manly and to destabilise them . Would take it with a grain of salt , seems a very unlikely scenario .

From the Mole:​

Rookie divides coach and senior players

There was an interesting secret meeting last week between a coach and two of his senior players.

The players asked the coach to bench one of the club's brightest young stars because he had been struggling for form after a great start to the season.

The coach didn't listen - and went with the rookie - who again was only average in the game.

Can anyone guess who he is?
Haha another player unrest theory just as Manly is hitting the heights.
For those who've recently expressed concern that Manly is no longer hated - relax :)

He is becoming a man, he is still young ... it was obvious when he was a bit younger and playing 6, that his body type would see him moving to centres or second row .... I think that the flat line we seem to always play doesn't do him any favours as far as his attacking goes

Is Gift around the Manly squad? I know Snake is however, I’d love to see Gift mentoring him.

I think Des may have decided that Shu is a much better long term prospect playing in the back row and if you remember that apart from a couple of recent years, he was a back rower in all his junior footy and has only ever been selected for NSW juniors as a back rower.

Shu will have much more opportunity to play Origin in the back row than at 6 in my opinion and with maturity will grow in the position to be a Gift, Gavin Miller or Wade Graham style of player.

Yes, he may well be our 6 in 2023, possibly 2024 and if Foran is injured in 2022 however, there is a young fella coming through and in 2024 Latu Fainu will be 18 and barring injury, will be seriously challenging for the No 6 spot.

He’s young and he is learning.

There was an interesting secret meeting last week between a coach and two of his senior players.

The players asked the coach to bench one of the club's brightest young stars because he had been struggling for form after a great start to the season.

The coach didn't listen - and went with the rookie - who again was only average in the game.

That is absurd. Tom has been great all year, and was again excellent in the last game.

Jarome Luai ??

its a legitimate question but team balance is the key . it seems to be about how much strike we need compared to grunt. walker is sniffing around the ruck and his input is very good especially without an attacking hooker keeping the ruck honest.

foran and cherry have been good in patches but not consistent on a week to week basis on what they bring the attack

consistently we are missing players that take on the line and play direct. walker does, tom does, foz sometimes . we probably need more of this footy from our starting players so we can establish our bench and schusters role in the team . its an each way approach to the team balance it seems

our spread it game plan is taking schuster out of the attack. we need the field to be 20 m wider currently to get him in the game

i think the whole team is on the tom train and some of the basics have fallen by the way side as a result

if we make it to the GF we need more grunt against the storm. yes i am assuming

The only thing I didn’t like about Shu last week was when he dropped the ball that led a Roosters break, he didn’t turn and chase, he dropped his head and then jogged back into the defensive line. Thankfully the play was shut down by others.

I’m sure he has been made aware of it by Dessie and probably others like Foz… “Run f..k ya”.

The only thing I didn’t like about Shu last week was when he dropped the ball that led a Roosters break, he didn’t turn and chase, he dropped his head and then jogged back into the defensive line. Thankfully the play was shut down by others.

I’m sure he has been made aware of it by Dessie and probably others like Foz… “Run f..k ya”.
There was another moment in the game where he got in the way and Foz pointed at him and shouted something. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him benched this week.

I don't really see Schusters form being too bad....I mean he may not be splitting the defence open every touch or throwing the subjective "no look passes" as often, but has been solid including strong direct running, fast play balls and defensively very effective.
As testimony to the defensive ability of Schu, the attack from opposition is predominantly more at the right edge, including Storm and no coach studies the opposition harder or more effectively than Craig Bellamy, who sent his troops to attack our right edge all day...unfortunately with great results.
I think ppl expect a tad much from a young bloke playing his first season in the Top grade and I have no doubt he has the ability to make some big plays at crunch times and could well be an X factor yet.
Just 1 last thing I have noticed in many of the long distance Manly tries, Schu may not have taken the final pass to score, but has been in support and pushing up on several occasions....he has football insticts that are born attributes, not coached.

I suppose when you look at who we have played in the last few weeks it may be a lot harder to shine than in the earlier part of the season.

I don't really see Schusters form being too bad....I mean he may not be splitting the defence open every touch or throwing the subjective "no look passes" as often, but has been solid including strong direct running, fast play balls and defensively very effective.
As testimony to the defensive ability of Schu, the attack from opposition is predominantly more at the right edge, including Storm and no coach studies the opposition harder or more effectively than Craig Bellamy, who sent his troops to attack our right edge all day...unfortunately with great results.
I think ppl expect a tad much from a young bloke playing his first season in the Top grade and I have no doubt he has the ability to make some big plays at crunch times and could well be an X factor yet.
Just 1 last thing I have noticed in many of the long distance Manly tries, Schu may not have taken the final pass to score, but has been in support and pushing up on several occasions....he has football insticts that are born attributes, not coached.

Max .. nobody has said his form is bad .. my point is purely predicated on my belief that from watching the games over the past month is that he looks tired and frustrated ... his body language has changed and the strut has gone ... yes he can still play a good game, and still pull off an X factor move .. but is his current role as a 2nd rower the best option for him and the team at the moment .. it may well be .. but I also think this late in a hard season .. his game would be better served allowing Lawton to tackle his arrse off for the first 20 min and then come on fresh and rip in ... just an opinion

Max .. nobody has said his form is bad .. my point is purely predicated on my belief that from watching the games over the past month is that he looks tired and frustrated ... his body language has changed and the strut has gone ... yes he can still play a good game, and still pull off an X factor move .. but is his current role as a 2nd rower the best option for him and the team at the moment .. it may well be .. but I also think this late in a hard season .. his game would be better served allowing Lawton to tackle his arrse off for the first 20 min and then come on fresh and rip in ... just an opinion
i think the key isnt just about schuster its about the other forwards not making the team. pretty stacked at the moment with options galore and is he playing well enough to cement his spot considering the options available. its not like when he was the only option

If you said this halfway through the year I would’ve said you were crazy… but it’s the right option now. Lawton is made for the first 20 mins of a final.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4