The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He seemed to spark up towards the end of the game when Cherry went off and he was moved into the halves. Looked eager to get his hands on the ball but it kept going the other way.

He's playing a more traditional 2nd rowers role, I'm liking his work tbh. Makes his share of the tough tackles hard to take down, good decoy runner and always seems to make partial breaks and looks to off load if possible. Got a feeling against Sths were going to see him have a break out game, with Schuster putting on a show for us.

We are playing much flatter than Mid season, this has affected haumole and schuster the most and Harper to a lesser extent. Doesn’t affect Parker as he runs lines suited to flat play and is to slow to utilise depth. I’m not sure why we changed it, but we are going to need points to win whatever remaining games we have left and I’m still worried about our edge defense

Last edited:
Agree he looks cooked and has done for 4 or 5 weeks would have love that option of him off the bench either those last few rounds or against Melbourne, to do it now is a risk though like you say.
Since we started the Turbo wrap from Jake and Foran, Shu hasn't seen much good ball as it goes to Turbo, when he gets it it is normally with no room. After some heavy defensive efforts he is also making the odd miss and mistake, at the very least he needs refreshing.

He's playing a more traditional 2nd rowers role, I'm liking his work tbh. Makes his share of the tough tackles hard to take down, good decoy runner and always seems to make partial breaks and looks to off load if possible. Got a feeling against Sths were going to see him have a break out game, with Schuster putting on a show for us.

Agree, but traditional 2nd rowers are 50 pence a bunch at the growers market ... why you would have one of the most exciting creative ball players and runners produced for a decade playing that role is the issue ... great it if it is a Glen Stuart role ... but traditional ... a waste of tax payers money ...

I think it's a mix of a lot of things @Woodsie my good friend. Made up of:
1. Rigors of a full season;
2. Probably lambasted for his no look passes;
3. Been coached to play a system;
4. Hate saying it, but a case of a bit of the ol' George Roses - probably being on holidays in QLD.

Hopefully he re-drops 8-10 k/g's in the off season.
Hopefully Des unlocks and frees the kid.

Here's an example of him a year ago, and what made him elite (big, but very fast and agile (he's WAY too unfit and unhealthy) - from his debut to now, he's a completely different shape:

Young Josh has not quite been the same since he came back from that long injury break. He has modified his game and been more selective with his passing game.

He is playing a key role and if he came off the bench more as an impact player it could prove to be beneficial..

I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it .... but ..

Schuster has been contained well for the past month, and without any inside knowledge, he just looks tired and frustrated to me .. first full seasons in the NRL can drain young players, added to the bubble effect, and this can possibly be seen as expected ..

I can't help thinking that putting him on the bench ... and injecting him would revitalize him and work well ..Lawton could go back to 2nd row, I was thinking Keppie, but after his performance last night I wouldn't move him for quids.
Agreed - i flagged this last night in the Haper/Schu/Guaca thread so we are on the same page. Schu replaces Lawton after 30 minutes, then Lawton can have a breather before replacing Froggy for the last 20 minutes.

looks unfit to me, clearly has been in a good paddock up in Qld. Spell him 10min either side of halftime. No doubt in the off-season will come down to proper playing weight...

Why would Dessie fiddle with the starting line-up after last night's great first 10 minutes. This has been where we have been poor for the last half of the season. Our second halves have been bloodbaths for the opposition.

Those that think Walker is returning to the centres full time need to watch the presser where Des says Walker is a utility going forward and he can take it or leave (it) in terms of contract negotiation.

I think Schu is doing fine and if he is there in this years finals for decoy value in attack then that's Des's bsuiness as it seems to be working and his defence is sound. We all know he will evolve into something more, he has too much talent not to and doesn't appear to be lazy just a little off fitness which is different.

Why would Dessie fiddle with the starting line-up after last night's great first 10 minutes. This has been where we have been poor for the last half of the season. Our second halves have been bloodbaths for the opposition.

Those that think Walker is returning to the centres full time need to watch the presser where Des says Walker is a utility going forward and he can take it or leave (it) in terms of contract negotiation.

I think Schu is doing fine and if he is there in this years finals for decoy value in attack then that's Des's bsuiness as it seems to be working and his defence is sound. We all know he will evolve into something more, he has too much talent not to and doesn't appear to be lazy just a little off fitness which is different.

I hear what you are saying ... but our great start last night could be seen as a result of fiddling with our starting line up .. the re-birth of Keppie the Rooster Rooter and attitude adjuster to starting prop, and Marty back to the bench ... Schu's role at 2nd row, apart from doing his job, had very little input into our performance ... I agree timing is out for change ... but I do ponder the possibilities ..

While the idea of changing things up to inject the Shu in a more threatening manner has merit, I think we all know Dessie ain't changing anything at this point.....and nor should he.

I hear what you are saying ... but our great start last night could be seen as a result of fiddling with our starting line up .. the re-birth of Keppie the Rooster Rooter and attitude adjuster to starting prop, and Marty back to the bench ... Schu's role at 2nd row, apart from doing his job, had very little input into our performance ... I agree timing is out for change ... but I do ponder the possibilities ..
fair call. The second row rotation besides injury needs isn't happening based on opposition analysis but the prop rotation certainly is and Dessie got it right last night.

Keppie won't return to second row this season as Dessie doesn't seem to think Toff is worthy of a bench spot ahead of Lawton who is also cover for Froggy.

All very complex and above my sausage roll pay grade.

Agreed looks slow and tired also ,his defence is lazy seems to want to ball play and take risks frequently,not suitable in semi finals as turn over in bad field position is costly 😊.One option is move Lawton in and rotate them ,or possibly or start Dylan walker and Schuster off bench

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4