The Schuster question ..

Bencher
Sorry yes they are all at fault. It is someone's fault.... but who? Anyone giving him a free pass for his weight/lack of fitness because he was injured and his off season was interrupted and/or that it is because Des' isn't playing him is simply deluded. I have not and would not question his talent - he has rare talent... but his problem is his ego and between his ears. You need a decent ego to be a good sportsman but I think his might be in overdrive and he obviously isn't the smartest tool in the shed packing on the kilos to end up dropping out of the 17 - really sad. Des can't keep picking him on ability - effort, desire and performance have to be the criteria and I think just about all Manly supporters if they were honest would say in all three areas THIS year (last year he was great) but THIS year he is not up to standard across all three of those areas.
I think the responsibility for this has to be on Donnie and Co, surely part of their job is to ensure the fitness of all players in their charge, I mean looking at Suli since his move to the Goons, he's as fit or fitter than I've ever seen him, it's a professional sport ffs, you don't see a thoroughbred racehorse carrying condition like the Schu, they're both professionals in their respective sports so why the difference in fitness?

Reserve Grader
He is fat and lazy it is not good enough for a guy at his age. Next season is massive for him he needs to show up fit and be capable to play 5/8 for 80 minutes.

We were promised a star and so far he has been an underwhelming one trick pony with the no look pass.

Bencher
Premium Member
Very interesting how one of the games biggest talents has turned into a subjective conversation going through the thread.

Lost respect for him based on him sitting out last week however he is extremely talented and if he can get on top of managing his injuries he will be a dominant player in the game.

Reserve Grader
I could say some people on here are dumb and stupid (as opposed to fat and lazy) but I don't know them and so it would just be speculation and innuendo......
Don't need to know him only need eyes he is fat and as a footballer is lazy. Strange world 2022 can't call an "athlete" who earns big dollars fat when they are fat.

If you can't show up fit as an athlete than give it away .Tookey was fat Taylor was fat Rose was fat and this guy is fat.

He may be the nicest guy in the world but it doesn't change the fact he is to fat I'm glad former players who know what it takes are calling him out.

Bencher
Premium Member
And there he was again straight after the game warming up then running time trials. If he replaces Foz next week, he's going to need more than speed trials to get fit enough to last the distance.

Bencher
Don't need to know him only need eyes he is fat and as a footballer is lazy. Strange world 2022 can't call an "athlete" who earns big dollars fat when they are fat.

If you can't show up fit as an athlete than give it away .Tookey was fat Taylor was fat Rose was fat and this guy is fat.

He may be the nicest guy in the world but it doesn't change the fact he is to fat I'm glad former players who know what it takes are calling him out.
Strange world when you can't call out dumb people behind a keyboard stupid.....
Brave new world I guess....

Bencher
And there he was again straight after the game warming up then running time trials. If he replaces Foz next week, he's going to need more than speed trials to get fit enough to last the distance.
No,that is an excuse,(as everyone from 40 years ago knows),it does not matter how much game time you get,they all know at this time of the season fitness is not a problem(you have achieved peak fitness by now and no issues can affect that)game time means nothing....

Last edited:
First Grader
Premium Member
Josh Schuster's fitness plan

Chilling No Worries GIF by YUM KFC SouthAfrica

happy bill hader GIF

Tragic
Premium Member
Sorry mate - not sure if you are having a good old chop at me but my view is that he has seriously under delivered this year - is overweight (he made that statement in an interview three weeks ago) and is living on his past. He has been poor this year for someone so talented. Just the reality.
As far as under achieving is concerned the team have done that this year without him.

As far as under achieving is concerned the team have done that this year without him.
oh agreed - there has been some bad luck - been some poor refereeing - been some bad mistakes.. been a lack of effort - - been some injuries but a good team can overcome all that. I don't think we are far off. Last night's first half was very revealing and said everything about our season - we tried super hard - we really played quality footy - Parra had the bounce of the ball with Gutherson's kick and yet that Saab kick just before half time just didn't bounce for us and if it did we score under the posts... game would have looked very different at that point. Just not quite our night or season. Now I will kick the dog lol.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
20 18 2 314 38
20 15 5 222 32
20 14 6 113 30
20 13 7 195 28
20 13 7 54 28
20 12 8 108 26
20 12 8 51 26
20 11 9 107 24
20 10 10 -33 22
20 9 11 -8 20