The Schuster question ..

Bencher
I've stated previously during the Fainu retention debate years ago that an adequate hard working hooker was all that is necessary at the time to keep improving Manly at that stage from an edge of the 8 to just above team to a consistent top 8 performer.(proviso being reasonably uninjured squad)

Fainu will struggle with the workload defensively and Manly will be performing worse during this period if Fainu was playing long minutes.(Croker being tough and consistent defensively has really helped Manly in many games)

I think rightly Des views Schuster as a ballplaying lock/backrower and caved in if there were promises made to Schuster he will be the next 5/8 and probably feels he has to massage the situation to a more middle ground approach.

The only way i see Schuster making a go at 5/8 is if his role is limited to the left side, i don't see Schuster having the ability or fitness in a sharp way to float around or take over the middle sometimes for a right spread to DCE as Foran does at times.

To me this means Schuster will play on the left edge, DCE on the right mostly with the occasional central playing position and a new steady all round halfback on the cheap takes over the middle or Jake and Lawton provide the middle linkman plays.(i would prefer Lawton over Jake as he is sharper and can take on the line)

I feel if we could of retained Foran for an extra 1-2yrs while retaining Schuster and Walker there was the potential of a premiership in this period with a more hard nosed,fit disciplined mobile forward pack.

Foran with his direct playing and lead by example playing style combined with choosing his moments to be vocal could of really burned in this disciplined approach as to what is required to win a premiership.(passing on the baton from the previous successful generation)
I agree with most and Foran has performed tremendously since his return but they’ve not got within a bulls roar of the teams that matter in this comp with the current set up.Something has to change.Whether it’s Schuster to 5/8,DCE plays more direct to make the most of those outside him or Fainu returns.Not sure how Fainu will go if he is cleared but there is a dearth of quality no.9’s and was very good prior to his current situation.So provided he is cleared and can eventually get somewhere near his best,I think that can make a difference,especially given his closeness to a few players

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've stated previously during the Fainu retention debate years ago that an adequate hard working hooker was all that is necessary at the time to keep improving Manly at that stage from an edge of the 8 to just above team to a consistent top 8 performer.(proviso being reasonably uninjured squad)

Fainu will struggle with the workload defensively and Manly will be performing worse during this period if Fainu was playing long minutes.(Croker being tough and consistent defensively has really helped Manly in many games)

I think rightly Des views Schuster as a ballplaying lock/backrower and caved in if there were promises made to Schuster he will be the next 5/8 and probably feels he has to massage the situation to a more middle ground approach.

The only way i see Schuster making a go at 5/8 is if his role is limited to the left side, i don't see Schuster having the ability or fitness in a sharp way to float around or take over the middle sometimes for a right spread to DCE as Foran does at times.

To me this means Schuster will play on the left edge, DCE on the right mostly with the occasional central playing position and a new steady all round halfback on the cheap takes over the middle or Jake and Lawton provide the middle linkman plays.(i would prefer Lawton over Jake as he is sharper and can take on the line)

I feel if we could of retained Foran for an extra 1-2yrs while retaining Schuster and Walker there was the potential of a premiership in this period with a more hard nosed,fit disciplined mobile forward pack.

Foran with his direct playing and lead by example playing style combined with choosing his moments to be vocal could of really burned in this disciplined approach as to what is required to win a premiership.(passing on the baton from the previous successful generation)
My worry is that Des will feel the need to have DCE get involved on the left too, now that Foz is moving on. That'll kill both sides of our attack with crabbing and dud "unders" plays. We'll miss Foran's and Walker's directness more than I think people realise.

I think Shoe will be more like Kenny Bromwich or Wade Graham, ball playing backrower with kicking skills. But 2 in closer to ruck if he is playing 6. He has the skills to utilise good hole runners, but I don't think he is going to be sharp enough to trouble defences with pace and deft footwork. Power and offload will be his weaponary.

Last edited:
Bencher
My worry is that Des will feel the need to have DCE get involved on the left too, now that Foz is moving on. That'll kill both sides of our attack with crabbing and dud "unders" plays. We'll miss Foran's and Walker's directness more than I think people realise.

I think Shoe will be more like Kenny Bromwich or Wade Graham, ball playing backrower with kicking skills. But 2 in closer to ruck if he is playing 6. He has the skills to utilise good hole runners, but I don't think he is going to be sharp enough to trouble defences with pace and deft footwork. Power and offload will be his weaponary.
My argument to that is they’re not beating the big guns at the moment with Foran and Walker,so something has to change.Not blaming them,although I think Walker’s impact is overrated,but a different approach is needed

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
My argument to that is they’re not beating the big guns at the moment with Foran and Walker,so something has to change.Not blaming them,although I think Walker’s impact is overrated,but a different approach is needed
Agree, but I think as a team we are off the pace and intensity needed to challenge the top 4. Need to dominate in the middle and be more dynamic and up tempo across the park. Given where we are as a team I think Foran and Walker have at least given us a chance of winning games.

Anyway we'll definitely have a different approach next year because neither of them will be here. Unlikely to be any other major recruitment it seems so it'll be interesting to see whether Shoe can make anything more of us as a team than Foz has. No Davey either, and Shoe to 6 means a new backrower on that left edge too. Is that Tualagi ?

Bencher
Agree, but I think as a team we are off the pace and intensity needed to challenge the top 4. Need to dominate in the middle and be more dynamic and up tempo across the park. Given where we are as a team I think Foran and Walker have at least given us a chance of winning games.

Anyway we'll definitely have a different approach next year because neither of them will be here. Unlikely to be any other major recruitment it seems so it'll be interesting to see whether Shoe can make anything more of us as a team than Foz has. No Davey either, and Shoe to 6 means a new backrower on that left edge too. Is that Tualagi ?
Interesting times ahead.You only have to look at the difference Payton had made to the Cows,in both defence and their style of play with the ball.Seems as though Des hasn’t moved with the times and I’m surprised how unfit the team looks,very unDes like

rmd

Reserve Grader
I agree with most of what you have said TC; however, Foran is leaving, Lawton hasn’t been resigned.

Long term I don’t see Schuster as a 5/8, I think he’s much better as a roving second rower, like a Wade Graham, who has immense ball skills. He’ll never make rep footy as a 5/8, and never has to date. Even when he was killing it at 5/8 in juniors, selectors still put him in the back row.

Humphries may be an option with DCE moving to 6 and Latu Fainu will also be eligible in 2024.

Bencher
Having watched Schuster play 28 1st grade games and 1 international ... I'm not convinced he is the answer to any of our questions
Given his manager seems to want air his and his clients grievances in the media,I worry Manly will have to deal with this sort of shenanigans every time it’s contract year

Bencher
Premium Member
Having watched Schuster play 28 1st grade games and 1 international ... I'm not convinced he is the answer to any of our questions ... 5/8 or 2nd row.
He has patches in his game where he switches off, with experience hopefully this improves.

Has some skill that most don’t, for me he will be a sensational number 6 with a good off season under him.

Stays fit he will be a tremendous player.

Bencher
I would free up some cap space for 2024 and throw a million at Matt Burton or cam Munster and play the shoe in the 2rf. We would be a chance at the title imo.

Reserve Grader
It’s a shame one of the most talented kids we’ve had in years is already so maligned at 21 years old and with only 28 first grade games. Without Tom he offers more threat than anyone else in our team and that includes the Queensland and Australian halfback on 1.3 million dollars a year.

How about letting him play the full 80 like he did so well last year instead of bringing him off the bench for 20 minutes, asking him to make things happen and then criticising him when he’s trying to pull something off. We need more players like him and certainly not less.

Reserve Grader
It’s a shame one of the most talented kids we’ve had in years is already so maligned at 21 years old and with only 28 first grade games. Without Tom he offers more threat than anyone else in our team and that includes the Queensland and Australian halfback on 1.3 million dollars a year.

How about letting him play the full 80 like he did so well last year instead of bringing him off the bench for 20 minutes, asking him to make things happen and then criticising him when he’s trying to pull something off. We need more players like him and certainly not less.
Exactly

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
20 18 2 314 38
20 15 5 222 32
20 14 6 113 30
20 13 7 195 28
20 13 7 54 28
20 12 8 108 26
20 12 8 51 26
20 11 9 107 24
20 10 10 -33 22