The Redemption (of Desmond)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Many have given a lot of valuable consideration to the players that need to improve their games and attitudes for Manly to reurn to the level we demand .... Jack Gibson always stated that success starts with the front office .... and whilst we may differ on why there has been a change ... the fact is a change has been made and this team is being supported ...

But what about Dessie ..... make no mistake, this year is as much about his redemption and resurrection as the players ..

At the end of his tenure at Doggies the kennell was calling for his summary castration .... he was clueless, past his use by date, boring, no game plans and no ideas ..... he was being openly criticised by the sports journo's as a coach who the game has left behind .... not to mention the circumstances of his departure from Brookie in 2011 ...

But Manly have always risen to a challenge ..... and you knock a champion at your peril ...... and I believe Des will rise from the ashes on the back of a new-age new look young Sea Eagles squad hungry for success after the past years of turmoil ..

But as I said .... make no mistake .... this year Dessie knows he has a lot to play for ... and a lot to lose ....

I agree Woodsie. Manly needed Des as much as Des needed Manly, which is the only reason why the hatchet was buried. He has a point to prove but so do the players and he will tap into that.

For me, Des is a wily coach who will look at the talent at his disposal and craft a game plan around the squad’s strengths. He is not a one trick pony and will show why he deserves to be considered one of the best coaches of the last 30 years.

I said as much after he was appointed, we needed the Manly connection but boy oh boy he needed us just as much ( if not more).

It’s one of the reasons I think he’s there , I’d suggest a deal has been done where’s he’s really cheap in year 1 and how he fares in year 2-3 will be all about how he goes in year 1.

Given he hasn’t been able to at all “ mould” his own team I’d suggest his KPI’s ( or whatever they are called ) are quite low.

Make us competitive!

Get us off the bottom!

Making the 8, might result in a bonus!

Oh yeah , don’t worry you are dead right @Woodsie , Des is under huge pressure.

I don't think Hasler is under huge pressure really , not in his first year anyway. With the cap restrictions in his first hit out I think the blowtorch will be kept away and be givin 2 to 3 years to rebuild. Realistically if he gets the squad fitter then 18 ( which shouldn't be to hard ) we should finish comfortably better then second last . If we finish anywhere from 6th to 10th that wouldn't be a train wreck season.

I said as much after he was appointed, we needed the Manly connection but boy oh boy he needed us just as much ( if not more).

It’s one of the reasons I think he’s there , I’d suggest a deal has been done where’s he’s really cheap in year 1 and how he fares in year 2-3 will be all about how he goes in year 1.

Given he hasn’t been able to at all “ mould” his own team I’d suggest his KPI’s ( or whatever they are called ) are quite low.

Make us competitive!

Get us off the bottom!

Making the 8, might result in a bonus!

Oh yeah , don’t worry you are dead right @Woodsie , Des is under huge pressure.
Which coach is not under pressure in the NRL feathered friend ?
All NRL coaches are under pressure but not all fly under the radar as well as Des ;)

Let's be honest, Des had some pretty average ideas (and execution of ideas by players) at the dogs.
The game has changed a lot since 2011 so I hope Des ideas are going to work in 2019, whatever they are.
Up until the final 2 years at the Dogs Des had them playing Grand finals and finals footy . Apart from those last two years lets be honest and look at Des overall record as coach and assess him on that .
My belief is never knock a champion as they always rise like a Sea eagle on heat

He has a better record then Bennett since 2012 , so he's not to shabby.
Des with compliments of the great Max Delmege funded Sea eagles is on record as the coach with the biggest grand final win of all time and against one of the premier teams of all time .
My take on all this pressure and fear posts about Des is this
Champions are propelled by DESire and not compelled by fear .

I'm worried everyone is just expecting instant success. I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to happen. This will be a process in my opinion (one I'm excited about).

There is an insipid culture with our players (and the playing group) at the moment. The party culture has been highlighted, both in the media, and now by the club (Zorba's article alluded to it).

Culture is hard to change and it doesn't happen overnight.

Our players think they rule the roost. When the going gets tough, they want the easy out, and ask to leave (Green / Kelly & others). That's a quitters mentality.

Des will need time to weed those players out. We won while he was here, because the team had a glue factor about them. They worked together to stay together (even adjusting contracts to do so).

I've stopped watching them on social media (well, mostly), even today I see them on the smoke / drink directly after practice.

What I miss the most is the intensity. The die together in the trenches mentality.

Having Des, Donny, Crusher, Mona's, Ballin here won't instill that immediately. It will have to be instilled over time. I'm not sure some of our players have it in them (Fainu, Suli, AFB types).

You'd think some players would be thinking, this is my LAST opportunity (even at their young ages), and what I'm seeing isn't indicative of these kids being desperate enough to show that.

Anyways, that's just me. I'm confident we'll come good. I love this team with all my heart. I just think it's going to take 3-4 years, to be a powerhouse again. DCE will probably be retired by then too. I think he has 3 years left in that contract.

Up until the final 2 years at the Dogs Des had them playing Grand finals and finals footy . Apart from those last two years lets be honest and look at Des overall record as coach and assess him on that .
My belief is never knock a champion as they always rise like a Sea eagle on heat
The Bulldogs finished 11th in Haslers last season there & they sacked him. So one mediocre year after more than a decade of success & apparently Hasler is no longer a good coach????? My fat ar$e!!!!!!!!!

Dogs front office tried to turn Canterbury culture into Manly culture,it never happened.
There is more culture in a tub of yoghurt than at the dogs.
Not all will get what you are saying mate but most will understand where you are coming from .
It is quite obvious for the ones that have Eagle eyes and can see that ....
You cant turn a puff of smoke Dragon into a soaring Sea eagle and you cant turn a 4 legged mutt into a flying Sea eagle either .
The Manly Sea eagles are a different culture all together and most that try to be part of it cannot adapt
Be proud feathered friend that you are a Manly supporter . It takes one of a kind and from all different parts of the lands to support the most envied and despised team in the NRL comp

Sing it loud and sing it proud !!!
We are one,
but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice
I am, you are, we are Manly Sea eagle supporters

84c7c8e3a81d2cbe640627edfacd2207.jpg

Jack Gibson also wore an ankle length fur coat.
Jack was a good coach but the bench mark of all coaches is MANLYS Des Hasler .
The 40 points to Nil record thrashing in a Grand final is astonishing achievement .

I'm worried everyone is just expecting instant success. I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to happen. This will be a process in my opinion (one I'm excited about).

There is an insipid culture with our players (and the playing group) at the moment. The party culture has been highlighted, both in the media, and now by the club (Zorba's article alluded to it).

Culture is hard to change and it doesn't happen overnight.

Our players think they rule the roost. When the going gets tough, they want the easy out, and ask to leave (Green / Kelly & others). That's a quitters mentality.

Des will need time to weed those players out. We won while he was here, because the team had a glue factor about them. They worked together to stay together (even adjusting contracts to do so).

I've stopped watching them on social media (well, mostly), even today I see them on the smoke / drink directly after practice.

What I miss the most is the intensity. The die together in the trenches mentality.

Having Des, Donny, Crusher, Mona's, Ballin here won't instill that immediately. It will have to be instilled over time. I'm not sure some of our players have it in them (Fainu, Suli, AFB types).

You'd think some players would be thinking, this is my LAST opportunity (even at their young ages), and what I'm seeing isn't indicative of these kids being desperate enough to show that.

Anyways, that's just me. I'm confident we'll come good. I love this team with all my heart. I just think it's going to take 3-4 years, to be a powerhouse again. DCE will probably be retired by then too. I think he has 3 years left in that contract.

All our worries are over mate .
Puff has left the building
dragon-for-blog-story1.jpg

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8