The Player Market

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
So looking to next year who should we be looking at? Tigers are getting rid of a few and Hannant is on the outer at the Gronkos. I'd sign Richie in a flash as a King replacement but who else is out there?

Presuming we don't lose half the side at seasons end........,,

the mauler said:
If DCE leaves I'd be snapping up Hunt from the Broncs.

I reckon a good value buy would be Blake Austin from the Tiges. Will be squeezed out with Brooks and Moses, but can play hooker, in the halves or at a pinch in the centres. Has been good in a dud team for the last couple of weeks.

Aussie Battler said:
the mauler said:

I reckon a good value buy would be Blake Austin from the Tiges. Will be squeezed out with Brooks and Moses, but can play hooker, in the halves or at a pinch in the centres. Has been good in a dud team for the last couple of weeks.

I agree. Great versatility, would be great off the bench or starter if there were injuries. Reminds me of Travis Burns.

We can't afford anyone, except maybe one or two journeymen/unsung junior types.
(Unless all our stars leave, in which case we can buy anyone you want!)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
We can't afford anyone, except maybe one or two journeymen/unsung junior types.
(Unless all our stars leave, in which case we can buy anyone you want!)

Agreed and our success with journeymen types means we can polish what looks like the odd rock from other clubs and turn them into diamonds, or at the very least solid first grade contributors. There is still a few blokes who haven't really contributed in first grade this year who should be putting their hands up for plenty of footy in 2015.

I spoke to Steve Gigg after the Penrith game and asked him would we be signing a prop to replace King and he said we have no room in our cap to sign anyone other than someone on minimum wage (80k). We have to make do with what we have and hope that Jake T steps up next year.
After hearing this, I'm of the belief we do not have the balance right, salary cap wise, between our backline and our forwards. We have too much of our cap used up on our backs and that's to the detriment of our pack. Our pack is made up of mostly budget priced players unwanted at other clubs. This is the main reason I believe it was wrong to let Glenn go. If we had to lose a big name, then I believe it should have been a back. But then the problem would be how to choose which one out of Snake, Killer, Matai, Foran or DCE to let go?

Hopefully Warwick and co. will weave some magic and find a big bopper on minimum wage. Jake T will step up! EPA will benefit from a pre season and players like Starling JSL and Hasson will get better with age

I'd like Jack Whiton from the raiders...but that's hardly going to help our forwards.

What's the go with Tyson Andrew and Ligi Sao. Obviously they're not as respected as our current squad but I wouldn't mind seeing one of them given chance to show their worth.

bones said:
I spoke to Steve Gigg after the Penrith game and asked him would we be signing a prop to replace King and he said we have no room in our cap to sign anyone other than someone on minimum wage (80k). We have to make do with what we have and hope that Jake T steps up next year.
After hearing this, I'm of the belief we do not have the balance right, salary cap wise, between our backline and our forwards. We have too much of our cap used up on our backs and that's to the detriment of our pack. Our pack is made up of mostly budget priced players unwanted at other clubs. This is the main reason I believe it was wrong to let Glenn go. If we had to lose a big name, then I believe it should have been a back. But then the problem would be how to choose which one out of Snake, Killer, Matai, Foran or DCE to let go?
Matai should have been granted the release he wanted. As for Gift I would agree IF he hadn't been so injury prone the last few years. A fit Gift for 20+ games yes but that is very doubtful now with his injury record.

Interesting times all clubs are facing the same issues the current crop of big name players and more importantly leaders on the field are getting close to retirement . I believe if we can keep the majority of our current team (we will lose some) together will will have the right mix to cover any big names moving on. That will put us in a better position than most other teams.

Aussie Battler said:
the mauler said:

Austin is a solid enough player, but he is not what we need. We need an impact forward not a utility. Anyway I heard that the Tigers are keen to retain him.

bones said:

Maybe one or more of those 5 will solve that problem for us.

Next year wouldn't mind seeing Hodges, Jamil Hopoate, Jake T and Richie (if still with us) in place of Horo Hasson King and any other player not providing impact.

bones said:

Won't be an issue if Choc / Snake / Fozzie / Skivvy and anyone else that thinks they are bigger than the club walk out on their contracts in 2015.

Only trouble is that by the time we find out anyone good will be signed up elsewhere.

If the doom and gloom merchants are correct we will be flat out fielding anything better than a NSW Cup side next year.

By the way I personally don't subscribe to this view BUT, just saying!!

Is the AFL this much of a bloodbath when it comes to player movements?
The NRL is a total wreck with this and takes much enjoyment out of the season proper. After a whole season of threats of players leaving and no money to sign anyone, we're now faced with another year of apparently disgruntled players and no money to buy forward stocks OR a year of no disgruntled players ('cause they all left) and plenty of money to spend on no available players 'cause they were all snapped up earlier in the year.
This isn't just about Manly. The system is a joke.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4