The NRL will not take an Origin match to NZ due to the 2 hour time difference

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The NRL have ruled out taking a one-off State of Origin match to New Zealand despite the overwhelming support for the Auckland Nines and the country’s craving for superstars.

The NRL s
8179660211.jpg
igned a $1 billion five-year deal with Nine in 2012 which includes the guarantee that State of Origin kick-off every year at 8pm.

The two-hour time difference between Sydney and Auckland means that rugby league’s greatest spectacle will continue to be overlooked in New Zealand.

In order to meet the terms of the contract a match played in New Zealand would have to start as late as 10pm, a prospect that simply isn’t feasible.

Auckland Nines co-founder Dean Lonergan said this weekend’s tournament would hopefully serve as a reminder to the game’s decision makers that beyond 2017, New Zealand deserve the chance to host a State of Origin match.

“Hopefully it lays a platform for potentially, once every five years a State of Origin game could come here,’’ Lonergan said of the Nines.

“They (NRL) now know that they can do the numbers through the gate to justify bringing it here.

“I wouldn’t dare do anything more than once every five years, simply because the Queensland and NSW people love their State of Origin.

“Every now and then it goes to Melbourne so it would be a once in a while treat for the players to play in New Zealand in front of the fans who have been so staunch here.’’

David Riccio

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/the-nrl-will-not-take-an-origin-match-to-new-zealand-due-to-the-twohour-time-difference/story-e6frf3ou-1226827642872

The NRL have ruled out taking a one-off State of Origin match to New Zealand despite the overwhelming support for the Auckland Nines and the country’s craving for superstars.

Read More

sheridanstand78 said:
Where is NZ? thats in Queensland, Queenslands every where. Another home game for the Maroons.

Where is NZ? That's in Queensland, Queensland's everywhere. Another home game for the Maroons. (Fixed so us dumb Qld people can keep up) :s

I wonder if the yokels running the NRL would consider a game of Origin in Perth? Sarcasm implied due to the obvious time difference.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4