The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’m amazed people still like him on this forum. He is Dalai’s pet (a la Bennett/Boyd) and he carries on like a pork chop, high fiving the likes of Kenny Edwards and Corey Norman over the years. He does that stupid chest thump to his teammates and embodies all the SLime values.

All points made were valid, but this is the real killer for me, the bloke is a first class goose.

Save some cash,get rid of Walker and keep the red whipping boy .
Lets see what Des can do with him after another season or two.Am loving his play of late and sometimes a bit of consistency and self assurance may be all he needs to take that awaited next step up.

Gutho is still always around the Northern Beaches on his social media. Has recent photos at Dee Why, Manly etc. People discount how much location has a bearing on choice in these scenarios. Why travel to a place like Parramatta when you cam sign up for similar coin at a closer club in better position like Manly. He’s also close with the Trbo’s I think. Reckon he’s a huge chance to join. Just matters at what price and if Dessie wants him or not. If playing centre I wouldn’t mind offering him a maximum amount of whatever money Walkers on (like a direct swap of players really). If Elgey dies or his development does then offer him a 5/8 spot for $600 to $700K

Gutho is still always around the Northern Beaches on his social media. Has recent photos at Dee Why, Manly etc. People discount how much location has a bearing on choice in these scenarios. Why travel to a place like Parramatta when you cam sign up for similar coin at a closer club in better position like Manly. He’s also close with the Trbo’s I think. Reckon he’s a huge chance to join. Just matters at what price and if Dessie wants him or not. If playing centre I wouldn’t mind offering him a maximum amount of whatever money Walkers on (like a direct swap of players really). If Elgey dies or his development does then offer him a 5/8 spot for $600 to $700K
He wants 700k plus Harry,he knocked back the Eels offer of 633K a season.If you give him that much money he is not worth it to play centre,Turbo is set at fullback and I don't know how well he would go at 5/8 with DCE.Remember that Parra had issues in the halves and were prepared to go with Moses who they have been shopping around and Brown who has never played an NRL game,rather than play Gutho there when they had a big need in the halves.He is like Will Hoppa,they want elite fullback money but it is questionable as to whether they are really worth the money...don't throw money at a guy just because they are a local junior....

If Manly sign him...then we'll all have to go on about getting Buhrer back. Is there no end?

The issue is this. We are likely to be without Walker next year and we really are limited in the backline. Suli will improve and Parker is trying is guts out. But we need a game breaker out there, someone to take the pressure off Turbo and DCE. Gutherson may have his faults, but under someone like Hasler I think we would see a further level. Add to that he is capable of handling 5/8, centre and full back, so he covers many positions if we lose players. He is capable of game breaking and does stand out in the Parra backline. But I think Dalai, as we seem to know him now, uses him poorly, even though the kid thinks the world of him. Remember the Trbojevics also thought the world of Barrett. Affection does not translate into performance. Personally I think Dalai and Brown (from Newcastle) are highly over rated. McGregor isn't much better but he has a strong team that hides his deficiencies. There are only two top line coaches in the comp, Bellamy and Hasler. Even Bennett has lost his mojo. And players that come under their wing, tend to go up a grade in performance. I say if Gutherson is available, especially given the uncertainty of Albert Hoppas future, grab him.

He wants 700k plus Harry,he knocked back the Eels offer of 633K a season.If you give him that much money he is not worth it to play centre,Turbo is set at fullback and I don't know how well he would go at 5/8 with DCE.Remember that Parra had issues in the halves and were prepared to go with Moses who they have been shopping around and Brown who has never played an NRL game,rather than play Gutho there when they had a big need in the halves.He is like Will Hoppa,they want elite fullback money but it is questionable as to whether they are really worth the money...don't throw money at a guy just because they are a local junior....
Gutho brings more than just talent to a side. But im not going to kill someone to have him. He would be a good signing and what im suggesting is that we may be able to get him closer toward the low 600s to play back here (which I feel is far more attractive to him) and at 5/8 IF elgey goes stagnates. 600K for a centre is definately dodgy, although if that happened I can’t say id be disappointed. He brings leadership and energy, they are his major attributes

The issue is this. We are likely to be without Walker next year and we really are limited in the backline. Suli will improve and Parker is trying is guts out. But we need a game breaker out there, someone to take the pressure off Turbo and DCE. Gutherson may have his faults, but under someone like Hasler I think we would see a further level. Add to that he is capable of handling 5/8, centre and full back, so he covers many positions if we lose players. He is capable of game breaking and does stand out in the Parra backline. But I think Dalai, as we seem to know him now, uses him poorly, even though the kid thinks the world of him. Remember the Trbojevics also thought the world of Barrett. Affection does not translate into performance. Personally I think Dalai and Brown (from Newcastle) are highly over rated. McGregor isn't much better but he has a strong team that hides his deficiencies. There are only two top line coaches in the comp, Bellamy and Hasler. Even Bennett has lost his mojo. And players that come under their wing, tend to go up a grade in performance. I say if Gutherson is available, especially given the uncertainty of Albert Hoppas future, grab him.
Agree with all that Bear but agree with Ranger and Robinson needs to be there . He has two premierships and his tactics were responsible for the demolition of the Storm last year. Clint at the right price would add a lot.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we already have a back in our 30 that has done 2 ACLs, we don't need another one especially not on the money that Parra is now offering Gutho

Robinson has to qualify here.

Yes the Roosters have a disgustingly stacked roster but he has won 4 minor Premierships and 2 Premierships in 6 years.
I could coach that Roosters roster to a premiership. As far as I can tell, Robinson is a puppet anyway, that's why the Chooks hired him. He was a rookie coach who would take orders from above. He is borderline Mal Meninga with QLD and just there to do all the media and pregame rev up. He has no tactical brain to speak of.

I used to think he seemed like an unassuming character but he really pissed me off last year when he label his team as having "soul". I mean, please! They are an assembly of the highest earners in the game, coming together under the deep pockets of business moguls to deliver the holy grail to their legion of 5-6 fans. Absolute joke of a club.

Whether or not people like the idea of Gutho or not the only way we would be pursuing him is if Walker is going to be sacked, so I’d say he’s gone if we were or are talking to Gutho.

I’m torn on Walker. I think he’s in the top 3 or 4 centres in the game, is a class above what we have and he lifts his teammates - add him to the current side with Tommy we are in good shape.....but he’s obviously a nightmare to manage and if guilty it’s out of our hands anyway. If Des wants him gone I’m sure they have the ammunition to cancel his contract regardless of the verdict.

We aren’t going to threaten the top sides at the backend of the year without strike in the backs.Effort is great but won’t get the big chocolates. I’d be happy with Gutho at 5/8 and Garrick / Suli in the centres if Walker goes.He also provides great cover for every position in backs which is important with us lacking decent coverage. Writing blokes off because of previous injury I don’t buy into. Tedesco is classic example. There’s always a risk of injury.

Wouldn’t pay more than 700k, maybe a bit less.About same money as Walker . I’ve got a feeling this is about more than money. I reckon he’s got the ****s with being ignored re a new contract and it won’t require an overbid to get him.Plus he’s a Manly lad , knows a lot of the boys, Jake and he are great mates and I’m sure would love to work under Des.

Last edited:
I could coach that Roosters roster to a premiership. As far as I can tell, Robinson is a puppet anyway, that's why the Chooks hired him. He was a rookie coach who would take orders from above. He is borderline Mal Meninga with QLD and just there to do all the media and pregame rev up. He has no tactical brain to speak of.

I used to think he seemed like an unassuming character but he really pissed me off last year when he label his team as having "soul". I mean, please! They are an assembly of the highest earners in the game, coming together under the deep pockets of business moguls to deliver the holy grail to their legion of 5-6 fans. Absolute joke of a club.

Well in that case, Bennett and Bellamy didn't win titles without teams stacked with Origin players and future immortals either. But it doesn't mean they aren't top line coaches.

I am not saying Robinson is better than either of those (or even Des), but saying he isn't top line is being disingenuous. IMO.

I’m firmly of the opinion that we should offer Gutho Walkers contract. He has football smarts about him and will be an awesome 5/8.

With Daly sort of leading the team around better nowadays, I see Gutho as a Michael Morgan/Darren Lockyer type player.

Daly reminds me a lot of Thurston in his early years and I believe he will grow into more of Thurston in his later years, less taking on the line and more game management.

This is just my opinion but there is a reason he led the Daly M last year and played in all the junior rep teams.

Robinson does have it easy with the team he has. But I don’t think he is a puppet or hack. I base this on the time I played touch footy before the roosters game at brookie a few years ago. Beaver was playing too, and Robinson came and sought him out behind the sheds where we were waiting to go on. He was beaver’s coach at Catalans. Anyway beaver was respectful and matey with him, and introduced him around. He seemed humble and switched on. Professional.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6