The man has spoken...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Manly coach Geoff Toovey admits replacements for Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran will come from outside the club

MANLY are running out of options to replace outgoing halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, with coach Geoff Toovey admitting their successors are unlikely to come from within the NRL club.

Rookie Gold Coast playmaker Kane Elgey joined teammate Aidan Sezer in rejecting overtures from the Sea Eagles in recommitting to the Titans on Tuesday

Sezer signed a three-year deal with Canberra earlier this month. With representative halves Cherry-Evans and Foran committing to Gold Coast and Parramatta respectively from 2016 onwards, the cupboard is bare at Brookvale.

Off-contract playmakers James Maloney, Trent Hodkinson and Chris Sandow remain options for Manly.

Out-of-favour Canberra pivot Mitch Cornish could be another target for Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey, as could junior Kangaroo Jackson Hastings amid whispers he could leave Sydney Roosters.

Jack Littlejohn played five games in the halves for Manly last year, but hasn’t featured in 2015 and doesn’t look to be in the club’s future plans.

A worst-case scenario for Manly would be a failure to secure at least one experienced playmaker for 2016.

“At this stage I can’t see anyone at the club that stands out to play that (playmaking) role (next year),” Toovey said.

“But I know Jamie Lyon played five-eighth in a (Manly) side that won the (2008) grand final 40-0 so there are some options there but we are trying to secure some quality options before that happens. “It would be a tough ask to throw two inexperienced halves in there to replace both Cherry-Evans and Foran but again it is not out of the question.

“I wouldn’t want to put a time frame on it but we are actively involved in trying to sign key players.” One plus for Manly is the retention of young gun brothers Tom and Jake Trbojevic who have extended their deals until the end of 2017.

There is hope the highly-touted youngsters will have a similar impact at the Sea Eagles as the Stewart brothers Glenn and Brett have had before them.

“I never want to compare people, (but) the Stewart brothers had considerable input into the success of the club over a long time, and (the Trbojevics) may well provide the same feeling as the Stewart brothers,” Toovey said.

I'm yet to actually hear anyone credible say that we went for Sezer.

But onto the halves situation, I guess they are keeping their options open - if they can sign two experienced halves they will. Failing that they may possibly go the Cornish/Hastings route. Then again Killer may play 6.

So basically we now know nothing other than that our juniors or JLJ are not an option.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
I hope something happens soon in the way of a quality signing or more. It would be so nice to come on here again and read/write positive things about our club

Killer may have played 5/8 in a record winning GF team, but sadly that was SEVEN seasons ago.

Even if killer did slot in there its only a band aid because he will be gone in 17 . Apart from signing the young guns which is awesome news we will need a bloody bandage to stop the bleeding if we get hodkinson or Maloney. Yes they might have experience but it's a step back . Imo.

A fit Killer would probably be a better 5/8 prospect than seven years ago. A la Bozo, maybe the toe he had to be a centre has begun to diminish a touch.
Healthy, he is a complete footballer.
I have never seen this "Fit Killer" you speak of....

Cornish and Hastings. Sign them both and give them a chance.

Better spending 600K on both of them, then 700K on hodko or sandow.
I'm happy with that too so long as there are some guys who can cover in NSW Cup. If we sign those two then Killer can be a back up 5/8 and ONLY THEN would I be happy with Kris Keating as the back up 7.

IMO

Jamie Lyon could fill in at 5/8 for one season easily in my opinion. The fact he has slowed down it would probably suit him more to be honest. You dont have to be super quick to be a 5/8 besides when was the last time jamie lyon as a centre made a bust and run 50 meters to score a try its been a while folks.

IMO as well but I think Widdop could become available but it would take Bird and Hastings reuniting at the Dragons. Lot of things would need to fall into place for that to happen so more likely it won't.

Cornish and Hastings. Sign them both and give them a chance.

Better spending 600K on both of them, then 700K on hodko or sandow.
It's a huge step into the unknown but I agree about Cornish and Hastings. I like the idea of up and coming potential as opposed to going over old ground with Hodkinson.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6