The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Jake T

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters
To me it's 3 main components

the pack, the backs and the spine
the backs seem adaquete and i see no problem in there ability to hoist the trophy if all other factors perform. Good blend of youth that could really blossom over the next couple of seasons with competition fierce . And speed, just for the effervescent @BOZO

the forwards have underperformed at times , apparently not in 21 but n 22.thats weird. my view is tom gave them a platform via momentum that other teams gain from composure, pressure, a good kick game which has a chase element.
We should give it a go one day

A few young guys emerge, a key signing , a leader , paseka reaching his potential and keppie stop trying to be artie beetson and they could be good enough in a year or 2. Ethic, leadership, accountability seem to have been missing at times but some game management , and better possession rates improves them somewhat immediately

the spine needs to carry its weight and support the forwards waaay more that they currently do . The kicking game is pretty piss poor. But with dce, schuster, latu and humphries seen as the future, one has to wonder where the improvement comes.cooper johns arrival indicates latu and humph are a bit off being ready so its a dce and schuey show . classy yes,

humpries seems to have some composure and a game that suits management more but where is he in the pecking order and when could he lead a side around the park in firsts, surely not in the next few years.

the key here is the size of dces contract. If his balance sheet allows him to be moved around or benched as others emerge ,then possibly but if he is still a million dollar player then close the window,

new coaches, tactics etc may see a change but we still miss the smarts to worrythe best if we are just going to continually try to attack our way through the comp.
anything is possible but initally i see us as being a bit more dogged, maybe jagging a few more wins against teams in the 6- 8 placed . I think some losses may be easier to accept as the towel might not get thrown in as early, but unless we recruit leaders, or unearth game management the future looks pretty similar

its tom to lead the forwards, tom to lead the backs. plenty want tom to me a centre but maybe we need him a 6. He must be able to kick if he was targeted by the swans and he has the most composure in the team .

To me the backs are coming along nicely, if we can keep them on the field. DCE still has a few years in him thanks to his high fitness level. Schuster has the potential to be one of the very best 5/8s if he can control that weight. Koula will develop into a top centre. Not sure about Garrick at centre. He's an excellent wing man but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Weekes is the unknown but I would suspect a keeper to cover centre and full back. Saab needs to learn better positional play and improve defense, but for sheer speed he's a great finisher and excellent catcher of the ball given his height. Turbo is the big question mark and its why I would be re signing Weekes. In my opinion the best full back in the comp when fully fit. But two seasons playing only 7 games each is a worry if injury continues to plaque him. A couple of back ups seem competent. And then there's Latu Fainu on the rise

The forwards are the unknown to me. A lot of unnecessary load on Jake. Ola is potentially almost another Beetson if he can keep his mind on the job. Paseka needs a little more mongrel but he's a fine player. Aloaia can be a forward leader if he keeps his mind on the job. Keppie is developing nicely. Cant wait for Samuela Fainu to step up. He looks a good one. Bullemor could develop well. Hoping Ben Trbojevic finds his niche at lock or second row He has a great understanding with Schuster. The hooking spot worries me. Croker tries his best and is always top of the tacklers. A real jack in the box. Not sure he has the initial speed and creativity to set up the play. Hoping young Tong develops well. Much will depend upon the new lads on the way and whether they tighten Manly especially in the forwards

If Manly keep the top players on the field they should easily make the finals.

To me it's 3 main components

the pack, the backs and the spine
So basically the whole team. ;)

I appreciate the general level of optimism that comes with a new coaching staff and a new season, but I can't forget how woefully bad we were last year across the park. They all need to get better, and fast. It's a massive task.

For me, we'll be relying heavily on new players breaking through, as well as players like the Schu and Garrick settling in at new positions. Otherwise, Jake and Tommy will drift further and further away from a Manly premiership.

I appreciate the general level of optimism that comes with a new coaching staff and a new season, but I can't forget how woefully bad we were last year across the park. They all need to get better, and fast. It's a massive task.

For me, we'll be relying heavily on new players breaking through, as well as players like the Schu and Garrick settling in at new positions. Otherwise, Jake and Tommy will drift further and further away from a Manly premiership.
The pot of gold at the end of the "rainbow" is that we can't possibly get worse.

For mine ... we will be relying on being a better coached team ..

At most times we appeared to have no mission statement .. or structures, patterns to achieve one anyway.

Yes, having Turbo on deck, and a come to Jesus Schu firing will add heaps ... but just our regular players having more direction will be a revelation.

At most times we appeared to have no mission statement .. or structures, patterns to achieve one anyway.

Yes, having Turbo on deck, and a come to Jesus Schu firing will add heaps ... but just our regular players having more direction will be a revelation.
I hope you're right, mate. My big fear is that no amount of coaching - good or bad - can instil heart and the will to fight and win in players who just don't have it in them. Our blokes, with a few exceptions, still have a lot to prove.

And i hope your right Too woodsie. Before desmond,Barrett had the same issues though. It seemed at one point they were instructed to find the line with our kicks regardless of ground gained. I do recall DCE kicking from 10 m from half way and the scrum was packed on our side still.

trent had his own issues for sure, but there are some some glaring consistencies in our approach to kicking over a fair few years and coaches.

something that struggles to leave my noggin is that when we were truely good, the gifty, lyon type days, players were open in saying des lets the team decide the tactics as its not really his go. who knows, but the lack of accountability toward any such game plan , structures or patterns makes me wonder if that was the way still, or was

under dessies watch still but reflective of the cattle a bit more

And i hope your right Too woodsie. Before desmond,Barrett had the same issues though. It seemed at one point they were instructed to find the line with our kicks regardless of ground gained. I do recall DCE kicking from 10 m from half way and the scrum was packed on our side still.

trent had his own issues for sure, but there are some some glaring consistencies in our approach to kicking over a fair few years and coaches.

something that struggles to leave my noggin is that when we were truely good, the gifty, lyon type days, players were open in saying des lets the team decide the tactics as its not really his go. who knows, but the lack of accountability toward any such game plan , structures or patterns makes me wonder if that was the way still, or was

under dessies watch still but reflective of the cattle a bit more

It can be as simple as not placing a high priority on contesting and winning the middle ... Dessie's use of props was a constant source of bafflement to me ... I think under Seib's and Flanno the forwards will have a vastly different set of criteria ... and attitude to aggression .

It can be as simple as not placing a high priority on contesting and winning the middle ... Dessie's use of props was a constant source of bafflement to me ... I think under Seib's and Flanno the forwards will have a vastly different set of criteria ... and attitude to aggression .
I do agree with that for sure,I feel our forwards have to go a tad harder than the better teams as we are always on the backfoot and they need the back up, rests and field position that the structured halves provide. Our pack is pretty similar in styles and shapes. They were on fire in 21 due to the fact they got 12 rests a game watching Garrick convert tries. When in trouble our “go to“ seems to be up the tempo the moment we get relief in possession . leadership reads the room

his use of props and the bench was unique . You made a comment some time back that resonated with me about his use of walker and the props. Its was a good insight That i watched from then on
I did feel it was a symptom of jake playing link man and having no danger in the middle, that we sacrificed thrust for creativity and leg speed around the ruck.
flanno has a rep with the forwards, but luke lewis, gallen, wade graham, were very very good in footy IQ as well as being rough nuts. it was almost like having ben kennedy triplets

but i am keen for a good assistant like flanno. silvertails mocks brad arthur all day but we were great on defence when he was there.

I do agree with that for sure,I feel our forwards have to go a tad harder than the better teams as we are always on the backfoot and they need the back up, rests and field position that the structured halves provide. Our pack is pretty similar in styles and shapes. They were on fire in 21 due to the fact they got 12 rests a game watching Garrick convert tries. When in trouble our “go to“ seems to be up the tempo the moment we get relief in possession . leadership reads the room

his use of props and the bench was unique . You made a comment some time back that resonated with me about his use of walker and the props. Its was a good insight That i watched from then on
I did feel it was a symptom of jake playing link man and having no danger in the middle, that we sacrificed thrust for creativity and leg speed around the ruck.
flanno has a rep with the forwards, but luke lewis, gallen, wade graham, were very very good in footy IQ as well as being rough nuts. it was almost like having ben kennedy triplets

but i am keen for a good assistant like flanno. silvertails mocks brad arthur all day but we were great on defence when he was there.
Wasnt Arthur only there for a year Under Tooves..??? hard to say we were great whilst he was there, like it was all his doing.

Who is this different @Woodsie? So much faith in a coach turning this mess around ? Has someone taken control of your account or mind? Aliens? You've found God haven't you and joined Bring Back the Biff?

Who is this different @Woodsie? So much faith in a coach turning this mess around ? Has someone taken control of your account or mind? Aliens? You've found God haven't you and joined Bring Back the Biff?
I find myself in full agreement with @Woodsie
Let's wait and see how it plays out @Wombat64 but there is a lot of positive stuff coming out of MWSE at the moment. The endless leaking and internal bitchfighting seems to have completely ceased. I know it means very little right now, but I am becoming increasingly positive about the direction of the club again, under Mestrov and Seibold & Co.

A coach can turn around attitude, give better structures , better kick tactics , but accountability has been missing and is the key Improvement a coach can make.

accountability for output was pretty low under dessie . No one ever got dropped and i felt a jolt was required to address attitude .

over the des years things were said about stats, supercoach etc that led some to believe money ball was being milked a little. . If KPI’s were being met across the board than i suggest we need a new set or standard

15 hitups in the second half or two try assist when your down by 30 seemed to justify tenure under des . PCM are great until it destroys your ruck speed

if accountabilty is introduced it may have a 2 prong affect on attitude depending on who you drop. urgency, competition or sulks

anything else is same old , same old, rely on tom, blame the forwards for taking up too little cap space. ( jake aside )

losing walker and foz was huge in straightening our attack. That emphasis is now on chez and schu. That is probably up there with coaches

Both seibs and flanno are looking for some redemption so we are kind of relying on the to take players out of the comfort zone, unless we strings some wins and thats when we start building toward something

i think the first few weeks might be messy, until the hard talks have been had, especially with the bye And playing the dogs round 1

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4