The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Jake T

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters
Has been mentioned before but Geoff Gerard could have had a bit more luck being a member of some of the greatest sides of his era. From Wikipedia...

Parra - 1974-1980 - played in two losing GF
1976 - scored try for Parra in losing Grand Final to Manly.
1977 - Parra minor premiers - no prize
1978 - RLW 'player of the year'
1978 - Played all five tests on Kangaroo Tour
Manly - 1981-1984 - played in two losing GF
1981 - played for Manly in losing GF to Parra
1982 - played for Manly in losing GF to Parra
Penrith - 1985-1989
1989 - Became first player to reach 300 games
1989 - Surpassed Max Krilich’s record number of games in all grades

But ... what if manly are trying to sign him ... but his manager is advicing him not to sign .. on the basis that he will get enough game time this year to double his asking price ... it's a gamble .. but it's what I'd be telling him.

Had considered that option Woodsie and its a valid comment. If so I would suspect there would likely to be mention of feelers. Maybe he's holding out given there's no definite spot available for him. However contract him another year and take the pressure off without losing yet another talent through short sightedness. At the moment he's open territory.

I often see people say we are years off competing etc but things change quick in the NRL.

For example Cowboys 15th in 2010 and 7th in 2011.

Bulldogs and Souths 9th and 10th in 2011 and 1st and 3rd in 2012.

Roosters 13th in 2012 and 1st in 2013

Panthers 10th in 2013 and 4th in 2014

Broncos 8th in 2014 and 2nd in 2015

Raiders 10th in 2015 and 2nd in 2016

Roosters, Eels and us 15th, 14th and 13th in 2016 and 2nd, 4th and 6th in 2017

Souths 12th in 2017 and 3rd in 2018

Us and Parra 15th and 16th in 2018 and 6th and 5th in 2019

Penrith 10th in 2019 and 1st in 2020

Manly 13th in 2020 and 4th in 2021

Sharks and Cowboys 9th and 15th in 2021 and 2nd and 3rd in 2022

You never know what a new season can bring!!

In a rare moment of dark pessimism ... I had the horrendous thought that Jake and Turbo may well become 2 of the best blokes and players ever to wear the Maroon and white ... to tragically retire without winning a premiership. This would be a painful injustice.

We are not at self-flagellation and wringing of hands state yet ... but we are not far from it .. Jake is 29 shortly, and Turbo is 27. Realistically Jake has what? 5 years left and Turbo 6/7 if injuries kind .. less if they aren't .. And we just came of 12th place and employed a contoversial coach.

And Seib's will be in charge of Manly for at least 3 of those years unless sacked. So, a very big part of whether they win a comp or not, is connected to Seib's ability to win a comp .(How you feeling now)

Which starting me thinking ... who have been our best players not to get a gong ... Ben Kennedy, but he was not here long enough for that to be a tragedy ... The Legendary Roy Bull would be one ... who else ?
Great post !!
Hits the nail.... Hard !!

They will be in good company. The likes of Bull, Schubert, Mossop, Willey, Batty and Stanton, all had lengthy careers and never played in a premiership winning team either.

Grand finals yes. Premierships, no.

Jakes attacking flair was stifled by Des... his stat showed he hardly scored a try when he came back..... was good for 9-10 a season prior. 8 in 4 years under Des...23 in 4 years prior to that.
Is the number of tries scored the best metric for assessing his attacking fluency? It did seem to drop away. In general however, most forwards score fewer tries (assuming they were regular try scorers to begin with) the older they get.

Terry Randall scored relatively few tries in first grade. According to Wiki, 21 tries in firsts, spread across the 1970-82 seasons. And yet he was a clever attacking forward, not just a great (and frightening - for the opposition) defender.

Just looking at recent indications and the sides that have gone close to matching the Panthers who seem to still be the current benchmark and more specifically last season and a fairly injury free Manly side . Definitely can match it with the Eels , gave Souths a decent run with only 12 players for a good part of the match , had it over the Cowboys until that late collapse , seem to generally have the Storm's measure , . Roosters and Sharks , not that far off the pace to match them . Panthers still seem a big hurdle but must be gradually loosing some dominance . Other sides to naturally improve a bit and there is always the Raiders . Again of course going to need a better run with injuries but surely all is not lost for a Manly comp win over the next 5 year span or so and that includes having Turbo and Jake playing regularly and at their optimum level . Also quite contingent D C E playing at a consistently good level for the remainder of his stint , asking too much , well hopefully not

Just looking at recent indications and the sides that have gone close to matching the Panthers who seem to still be the current benchmark and more specifically last season and a fairly injury free Manly side . Definitely can match it with the Eels , gave Souths a decent run with only 12 players for a good part of the match , had it over the Cowboys until that late collapse , seem to generally have the Storm's measure , . Roosters and Sharks , not that far off the pace to match them . Panthers still seem a big hurdle but must be gradually loosing some dominance . Other sides to naturally improve a bit and there is always the Raiders . Again of course going to need a better run with injuries but surely all is not lost for a Manly comp win over the next 5 year span or so and that includes having Turbo and Jake playing regularly and at their optimum level . Also quite contingent D C E playing at a consistently good level for the remainder of his stint , asking too much , well hopefully not

Injury free, with the rise of Schuster, Ola, Koula, the Fainu brothers, Fulton and possibly Weekes, I'd say the side will be stronger than the past few years barring injury. Much will depend on Keeping Turbo, Jake and DCE on the field though. The side looks otherwise fairly solid and fast. Hoping Gordon CKT rises as a potentially shark hooking otion

At the start of last season, most probably expected a successful 2022 following our 4th place in 2021 (despite being flat track bullies that year).

This year with the change in CEO and coaching staff, I am much more confident that we are entering a new era of success. I expect our experienced players to be more consistent, our younger players to continue to improve and new talent to surface. I expect to see a fitter team with more resolve in all situations. I'm also expecting a multi dimensional attack which can produce tries from any part of the field. It may take a little while for all this to come together, but I'm sure we will see aspects of these improvements from Round One.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4