The Inside Word with Jamie Buhrer wk3

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
The Inside Word with Jamie Buhrer wk3
9/12/2011 9:24:58 AM

www.mwse.com.au
In this exclusive weekly series, Sea Eagles back-rower Jamie Buhrer blogs about the off-season, and week #2 of Manly's pre-season training as we surge for back-to-back premierships.

It’s good to finally see the back of week number three.

This week was particularly tough. Some very long days in the gym and on the field, getting ourselves in good shape for the season to come.

The only positive with the terrible weather that has plagued us is that at least we weren’t slogging it out in the heat!

A number of the newer players at the club are really starting to find their feet and show a lot of promise.

One such young man is Jorge Taufua. He was a member of both the Toyota Cup team and NSW Cup side during the year and certainly left an impression on both competitions.

He has size, speed and an eagerness to improve as well as being able to fill a number of positions in the outside backs. It won’t be long till we see a lot more of him in my opinion.

On Wednesday night we had our Sea Eagles Kids Christmas Party at Hoyts Warringah Mall. We watched the new animated film Puss In Boots. I sat next to a young fan named Nick and his two friends. The movie was pretty funny and we all had a good laugh!

A big positive for the club off the field this week has been the re-signing of two of our big men in George Rose and our skipper Jason King. Both have been key members in the clubs success for many years and provide invaluable experience.

It’s pleasing to note that the majority of the squad is signed up for a number of years. Not always the case after winning a premiership.

To continue the big week for Rosey he was once again selected in the Indigenous All Stars Team. He is very proud of his culture and I’m sure he’ll do not only his people proud, but also his club.

Thanks for all you questions this week! Just to answer a few ...

Thanks again Jamie for your 'inside knowledge'. I think back row is your go; you do remind me of a young Brad Clyde, who i played against in the Canberra junior league in the 80's. Am i right in assuming guys like Clyde, Beaver Menzies and Nathan Hindmarsh are some of some of your biggest role models? - Mike Anderson

Backrow is were I’ve played the majority of my football growing up so I do have a number of premier backrowers I really looked up to. Being a fan of the club in my youth its not surprising that most are from the Sea Eagles Club.

Steve Menzies was a ‘freak’ I admired for his ability to be in the right place at the right time. He had a copy- book tackle technique and was incredibly durable.

Another would be Ben Kennedy. BK was tough as nails and just had the ability to make something happen. He played through injury and had one of the best offloads in the game.

These days I look to blokes like Choc and Gifty for advice.

Hi Jamie. I'm a manly fan who grew up out west, but my excuse was I was born in manly hospital. How did you come to support manly as a kid? - Michael

My Dad was a Manly fan growing up so I had no choice. He said all his mates went for Parramatta. He wanted to be different and support the team they hated. He made a good decision in my opinion.

Hi Jamie, Congratulations on your achievements so far and good luck for WCC & 2012. The head-gear. When & why did you start using it? - Rick

I started wearing a headgear when I was 13. Id been knocked out a few times in a row and my parents decided it was time I looked after my head.

Until next week,

Jamie Buhrer

The Inside Word - Week #2

Jamie will be answering your questions each week, so if you'd like to ask him anything, leave a comment in the section below.

Comments (0)
Comment on this article

Yes I thought that DCE had agreed to a contract extension until the end of 2014. We also need to extend snake's contract to the end of 2014 as well to match up with Glenn's contract

great news about Jorge!! He really stood out in a badly beaten Toyota cup team. He plays fullback as well so that could help if Brett needs a rest during the season. He ain't that big but he runs like a tank and has got lateral movement. Certainly a great help for Tooves to have another kid come through!!!

The Wheel said:
I am sure DCE is there til end of 2013..with a current upgrade being negotiated. DCE seems genuine that he wants to remain at Manly from the press I have seen not so for Foran tho imo .. I think he has one foot out the door

1947 said:
The Wheel said:
I am sure DCE is there til end of 2013..with a current upgrade being negotiated. DCE seems genuine that he wants to remain at Manly from the press I have seen not so for Foran tho imo .. I think he has one foot out the door

Jamie...any other newcomers who impress you with their playing potential and/or training attitude? Many thanks...it is good to get all this interesting and positive info directly from the Buhrers mouth..

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6